Designer Bag For A Funeral......?

Wether it's a close relative or not, you should always dress respectfully. This meaning, no bright colours unless otherwise noted due to religious circumstances. Usually one should wear black or other dark colours. My vote would go to a Hermes clutch (in a dark leather, of course), like the Kelly Elan.

Do you really need to bring a purse to a funeral? A small clutch should do. I think it's weird to focus on which designer bag would be appropriate when it's so insignificant at a funeral. Any black bag that isn't flashy will do. I think a clutch is nice since it's smaller and more understated.

I would go as understated as possible. A funeral is not a place for pageantry, ostentatious displays of wealth or a fashion show. It is to show respects for the deceased and his/her family. I would hope that no one would remember what I was wearing or carrying when they looked back on the event, but rather they would remember what I said or did to help and comfort others.

but big enough to be noticable and obviously designer - so people would think I'm fancy :winkiss:!!!!

What would you guys tote to a funeral?

I would not wear anything that would fulfill those criteria. :tdown: A funeral is not a fashion show, the appropriate outfit involves muted/ dark colors and toned-down hair, make-up and accessories. Doesn't matter if you knew the person or not. Whoever this celeb is who wore the orange bag, she was obviously raised by wolves.

Having recently buried my grandmother I can honestly say - I packed my grey pinstripe suit, a plain blouse, my celine handbag., and plain black Jimmy Choo's All of this was done without thinking and thought. I did not make a conscious decision to pack designer clothing, shoes or handbags, I was purely on auto pilot. I was there to support my mother, not to look good or worry about whether other people thought I looked elegant and demure. Trust me with my snot face I did not look elegant. As I don't wear jewellery on a daily basis I didn't even think to pack jewellery.

the appropriate outfit involves muted/ dark colors and toned-down hair, make-up and accessories. Doesn't matter if you knew the person or not. Whoever this celeb is who wore the orange bag, she was obviously raised by wolves.

I had to chuckle at that - the raised by wolves bit!:yes:

Sorry guys, i totally typed that out the wrong way. I basically meant out of my bags, which would you think was appropriate - I guess I meant the 'smartest' looking bag. :crybaby:Im not planning on attending a funeral anytime soon, it's just that pic of that woman's orange bag really got me thinking.

I would go as understated as possible. A funeral is not a place for pageantry, ostentatious displays of wealth or a fashion show. It is to show respects for the deceased and his/her family. I would hope that no one would remember what I was wearing or carrying when they looked back on the event, but rather they would remember what I said or did to help and comfort others.

Very well said!! ITA.

I'd hope that if you're attending a funeral, you're not really concerned about the bag you're carrying. Hopefully you'd be focused on comforting the bereaved family. Putting a lot of thought into your funeral wardrobe seems pretty tacky to me.

^^^^^^^^

Good Lord,
you took the words right out of my mouth !!!!!!!!
Some tact, please, people....

Uhh now I'm feeling pretty embarrassed about my tactless response (post #6?). Somehow I sensed a witty undertone, seems like I was the only one. :confused1:
Must be a european thing - no offence meant anyways, apologies.
Can't help it... (I :heart: pulling inappropriate jokes!!!)

Huh...never really even thought about it. I don't even remember what I wore to the last funeral I attended. I probably didn't even bring a purse (I'm not really a cryer, no need for tissues), or left it in the car.

I agree with everyone who said something understated. There are many occasions to be flashy or make a statement, but this isn't one of them. Unless the funeral was Donatella Versace's or something. You know that she has a clause in her will that states everyone who attends her funeral must look faaaaabulous. :winkiss:

This was driving me crazy all dy, because I know I had seen the picture. It is in the Prada section, It is Suzanne Sommers at Merv Griffons funeral and she is all in black with a bright orange Prada purse. It really does look unusual.