definitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
i got it. posted pics in the autheticate this thread. i truly do not know what to do about this. i don't want it. it's cute but the mojo sucks. but she only offers merch credit for returns. i really do not want to go through a chargeback but i don't know what else to do.

i just got an email. saying she would take it back since i "didn't understand the size" and "if remain civil for the rest of the transaction" lemme tell you i wrote her back but i nearly exploded. i have been nothing but civil to this person. in any case i have to pay shipping both ways, ebay fees, pp fees etc but i would rather be out like 30 dollars than have to do a chargeback. it's not worth the hassel. unless someone disagrees. i just want this out of my house and over.

Life's too short, hlfinn, to let this get you so upset. As aggravating as this seems right now, it will probably mean nothing to you very soon. Take a deep breathe and then figure out what you really want. It might be that you just want to be rid of this "mistake" and move on to happier transactions.

hello- that's EXACTLY what i think she meant but since she says she reported me for harassment- i think she also meant i should not give her a hard time. i was trying to be super nice in my email last night and today.

mill- you're right which is why i'm trying to work this out. it's just annoying because she's going to get her fvf back, as well as her listing fees if it resells. and she wants to charge me for it. why not just say i want a 10% restocking fee. i'd rather give her that then bogus paying back the fees i know she'll just be refunded anyway. ah......

anyway thank you all for your help and keeping me sane! i am truly not sure this is even real and just glad to get it out of my house!

hlfinn, my heart goes out to you, this must be very difficult and upsetting. But now, I'm going to tell you what I would tell my daughter if she came to me with this situation. I bought my first Hermes scarf in about 1973 - known the brand for a while! Also, I spent my childhood going to auctions of all kinds with my parents. It's a whole different world, that. Auctions are caveat emptor - let the buyer beware - all the way. So fix yourself a nice cup of tea....

First, I do believe that the auction you bid on was a bit misleading - but just a "bit." It did say "carre" in the title. However, it ALSO listed the size in the auction itself. So you really have only half a case for misrepresentation. And expecting eBay or Paypal (or some third party trying to determine "fault" here) to understand the finer distinctions in Hermes terminology might be a bit unrealistic. In fact, if I didn't know anything about Hermes and were trying to figure this out, I would think, well, the size IS on there...so you may have less than half a case. If you didn't wonder about the size, maybe you should have. Also, you could have asked the seller about it before bidding. You will find many items on eBay from perfectly honest sellers who are just out there selling "stuff" that have descriptions that use the wrong words - it's up to you to figure out what the item actually is. It doesn't mean they are trying to be misleading, it just means they are not as educated about that particular item. If you sell lots of items, well, you can't be an expert on everything, nor can we as buyers in this marketplace expect it. You also cannot expect buying on eBay - even from approved sellers - to be the same as buying from a store. You cannot buy anything on eBay expecting that returns will be easy or even possible.

Second, this seller is not on the tpf approved sellers list, which I hope you looked at before bidding. This does not mean you cannot get authentic Hermes items from unknown sellers, what it DOES mean is that if the seller is unknown, YOU need to have a whole lot of knowledge. Bargain hunting of high-end luxury items is for experts with nerves of steel. (The good news - keep reading here, and you soon will be an expert! AND have a whole forum of experts to help you!) So if a seller is not on the list, you could have - before purchasing - posted the item to "Authenticate this Hermes" thread (which you may have done?) and also carefully read every item in the seller's feedback. Now, I have not clicked through to all her completed auctions (VERY informative thing to do, if the auction #s have an active links, which recent ones usually do), but she seems to have sold mostly postcards and wedding gowns. This tells me not to expect a high level of Hermes knowledge from her. Caveat emptor again.

Third, is she a nice person? Well, maybe and maybe not. I do know that I work with a lot of younger people who complain about their landlords, sometimes rightly. Sometimes I do have to speak up though - because I own rental property and let me assure you that for every story a tenant can tell on landlords, a landlord has at least one, and probably two, for tenants! Every person who sells on eBay - and for the record, I do, although only my own things, not professionally - runs up against some of the rudest, nastiest, most unprofessional and sometimes stupid people on the planet. You have to develop a thick skin, set your rules, and although I try to be courteous to everyone (I have gotten nasty e-mails from people I refused to end an auction early for - I mean you can't blame them for asking, but really!) - sometimes it's a trial. In fact, I think most people who do a lot of trade on eBay have had some terribly negative experiences. This can make one less helpful when people have issues.

Fourth, if this had been a full-size scarf, its MSRP would be about double what you paid. Although there are bargains to be had out there - even from reputable sellers on the tpf approved list - they are rare and often mean that the scarf is no longer in new condition (mind you, it might be lovely, but it also might have stains or pulls). Again, bargain hunting is for the very knowledgeable. I suspect that had the situation been reversed - had you paid far too little for an item that was quite valuable, and the seller objected to you - your feelings on this subject might be a bit different!

So again, if you were my daughter, here's what I would suggest. If you really do not want to keep the scarf, swallow your pride and if the seller has offered you a return, do it - and with good grace and courtesy (many eBay sellers - including me - do not offer returns at all). Chalk the $ up to experience. If she reported you for harassment, was that because you sent a number of emotionally charged e-mails expressing your dismay and even displeasure? Perhaps written in the heat of the moment and not your usual calm self? Re-read them, and if they were not e-mails you would like to receive yourself, send a short apology, explaining you are new at this. She may not be the most wonderful person on the earth, not the soul of refinement and courtesy and exemplary personal service, but it doesn't mean she is deliberately out to cheat people. She just may have an idea in her head about Hermes and what you could and should sell it for that, due to HER inexperience, is not yet firmly grounded in reality. You could also consider trying to sell it yourself on eBay (you will not get what you paid for it, I suspect, but it would be out of your life) or donating it to a worthy cause.

I do believe that most people are good, and wish to do right and be helpful - even on eBay. I have had some amazing and wonderful experiences with eBay. I've made some mistakes, too. Every single person who buys at auction - from the old pre-eBay days to now, has made mistakes and I think it's good to get it over with and out of the way now! But before you believe the best of people on eBay, you must truly know them as sellers. If you have a limited budget (and I do, too), it is critical to be even MORE discerning in whose auctions you bid on.

All that being said, I believe that learning about Hermes IS the process of learning discernment and refinement in everything we have and everything we do. Let this experience open new worlds of appreciation and education about both Hermes and eBay, and I wish you only wonderful experiences with both in the future!

^^^
Are you the seller? Sorry... I know this is not my business. BUT, it kinda seems like maybe its worth asking after that:shrugs:

Good heavens, no! I just believe it's important for people to see eBay as it IS, not how they would like it to be. And realize you have to be careful! In fact, I was hoping what I wrote might save hlfinn - and maybe others - some grief later.

Yes! I also see Ebay the same way.....buyer beware kinda thing. Make sure you know exactly what you are getting before you press that pay button.
Thanks for putting in to words what to expect when buying Hermes off of Ebay.

Thanks - I see it as even MORE than buyer beware, you have to go armed not only with tons and tons of knowledge, but a completely different mindset. The mistakes I've made on eBay have been my own fault, not anybody else's - either because I didn't read the auction description (every blessed word of it, twice if necessary) thoroughly, because I didn't read the seller's feedback file thoroughly, or because I misunderstood the type of item I was bidding on due to lack of experience.

Recently, I misunderstood how payment was to be sent, but cheerfully - CHEERFULLY - sent an additional $10 or something to the seller with a lovely e-note of apology because I had ended up causing them to be charged more due to MY lack of understanding. That seller was, to be honest, not completely gracious in the beginning, but I stayed very courteous, made both payments - the initial wrong one, and the addition - with lightning speed, and left glowing feedback about how "helpful" the seller was. In return, I got a very helpful and courteous e-mail, and positive feedback for me. I think the seller initially thought that I was trying to scam him, which was not the case, it was an honest error - but an error on my part nonetheless. It would be easy for me to say in that circumstance that, "oh, well, the paypal screen was confusing and unclear and I thought I was doing it right and I didn't." But that was NOT the seller's fault. I decided the mature and professional thing was to take responsibility for my own actions, assure the seller that although the mistake was not deliberate it was my mistake and I would fix it, pony up the extra $ toute suite, and move on!

Maybe we should all get together and write an eBay guide!

i am a powerseller on ebay. i know all about customer service, buyer beware, etc. i fully admitted to her when i first saw that it was not the size i thought it was that i did not read the measurements closely. i offered her money for her ebay fees, pp fees, a restocking fee, and to pay all my shipping fees etc. none of this i needed to do. besides the fact that if i do file with paypal- and you're right, they may or may not side with me it is a very fine line- she will be out all of this. i sent her 2, maybe 3 emails the day i bought this- and she was responding back- and she told me she reported me for harassment because i said "well, i guess that's all i can do for now" i meant for now since i would have to wait to get it, she took for now as a threat.

when i got the pochette last night i emailed her nicely and immediately asking to return it. she emailed me back today and said ok but i need to pay ebay fees and pp fees and shipping. i did not do the math but it just seemed off. anyway i offered to send cash or a check in the box with the scarf so she could have her money right away and file to get all the fees back. i also asked her a few questions- like what the exact total would be that she would be keeping. i don't think that's an unreasonable question. she answered back with a very short email that answered nothing and said it had to be mailed by sunday or else i would not get a refund. i assured her it would go out today but would she like the cash. this is her email back to me (keep in mind she got 3 emails from me between today and yesterday)

xxx this is really simple. When I get the scarf back I will refund your Paypal account. I already gave you the amounts. You will not be sending me any money, clear? You are sending too many emails again. DO NOT email me again until I contact you after I have RECEIVED the scarf back. If I have not received it back by early next week, I will CONTACT YOU about the tracking numbers. Do not email me again or I may only give you store credit instead of money as the listing is for store credit not money, but I am giving you money back to help you out. I am very busy working and your emails are taking up too much of my time and money. I have made no money from your transaction. Once again, do not me again until I email you. THank you, xxx

i'm sorry but is that nice to you? i finally exploded back to her and my email back was not as nice as my previous ones. i have done everything i possibly can to work this out. had she been pleasant from the start this could have turned out differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.