debunking Birkin mysteries

yikes - the talk about ignoring memebers is getting a little sca

HEY!:wtf: who did that?:confused1: who made me disappear just now???
(j/k)
*gulp* is anyone reading this?
CAN YOU HEAR ME???

back to croissant's post - i had a birkin question. is there a thin piece of wood in the base of the birkin and a. can this crack and b. is it in all hermes bags that have bases (kelly, bolide, etc.)?

oh, and not to totally ruin her image, but DQ is so unbelievably kind and patient and helpful, there'll be no whipping or thwapping on my watch - unless she says "please"

Is this enquiring about the "Ignore this member" function? If it is, click on the particular member's public profile. On the right side, on the border, you will see a function that reads something like "Add Mrssparkles to Your Ignore List" or something like that. If this member is in your ignore list, you won't be able to read her post (it just looks blank in the post) nor read receive PMs from this member. Hope this helps.

Ooooh, thanks a lot MrsS; I thought it was something like that... well, I don't think I'll be using that any time soon!

Croissant, remember what I said, look at your birkin from the sideview, when you have secured the straps on the turnknob, you are literally bunching up the top part of the leather together. But the base of the birkin remains broad. So, the narrowing effect on the top makes the strap holders look like they are all leaning inwards. In softer leathers like clemence and Togo, it's more obvious.

When I look at your pictures, the strap holders are not leaning to one side, they are leaning inwards as described above. :yes:

Like when you are looking up at skyscrapers, they tend to appear narrower towards the top....just an optical thing perhaps :shrugs: Which was why the Taj Mahal was designed and built slightly wider towards the top so that from whichever angle you gaze at it, the building looks to be the same width...amazing architecture :back2topic:

Anyway, I examined the turnknobs on my Kellys and Birkins but none are tighter/looser, all feel about the same to me. And looking at my Birkins, I find they do not exhibit the signs of "leaning inwards" as yours do. In your pic, the "leaning" is obvious even to the naked eye. But I won't be overly concerned as a few members here have pointed out, these are all handmade :yes: Enjoy your Birkin!

thanks mrss!!
hehe gigi you're funny
hiheels i think that the bottom part of a Birkin is not wood but layers of leather??? i squeezed my bags a$$ today after i finished taking pictures because i like how squishy it is and i thought about that very thing and decided its too soft to be wood even though its firm. if that makes sense.

Like when you are looking up at skyscrapers, they tend to appear narrower towards the top....just an optical thing perhaps :shrugs: Which was why the Taj Mahal was designed and built slightly wider towards the top so that from whichever angle you gaze at it, the building looks to be the same width...amazing architecture :back2topic:

Anyway, I examined the turnknobs on my Kellys and Birkins but none are tighter/looser, all feel about the same to me. And looking at my Birkins, I find they do not exhibit the signs of "leaning inwards" as yours do. In your pic, the "leaning" is obvious even to the naked eye. But I won't be overly concerned as a few members here have pointed out, these are all handmade :yes: Enjoy your Birkin!

is it noticeable to you in MK's picture as well? because the way hers looks is how mine looks to me. i could be imagining it though. im not very convinced of myself.

hiheels i think that the bottom part of a Birkin is not wood but layers of leather??? i squeezed my bags a$$ today after i finished taking pictures because i like how squishy it is and i thought about that very thing and decided its too soft to be wood even though its firm. if that makes sense.

I think there was a few posts asking what's placed inside the base of the birkin some time last year. I was very new to Hermes then and very innocently asked my SA if there was a piece of cardboard inside. I got the :wtf: look and I wished I could dig a hole and bury my own head in. I was so embarrassed.

i knew it wasn't cardboard. but i know i've read that there is a thin piece of wood there. and i don't have any idea if it's true, so please know that i'm not saying it is. just asking. croissant's make-out session with her bag suggests it's not true. so maybe we just did some debunking!
as for the pursuit of her bag's authenti

HEY! Cut that out!

i just wanna know if i'm alone , thats all! sus is my friend. who else?? mk might be a friend but nobodys talking about her bag yet. with them on my side i'll be ok.

Croissant, you crack me up!!! I didn't think the first thing I'd be doing this morning (besides checking TPF) was to go and twist the turnknobs on my bags, but here I am, and the results are the same as Gigi's.

On the 9 bags, there's definitely a wide range of tightness---the loosest being my 35 Black Togo Birkin, and the tightest being my 30cm Rouge H Chevre--interestingly enough, these are among my two oldest bags so I don't think age factors in. I don't notice anything different between the Kellys and the Birkins---both exhibit moderate tightness so I can only come to the same conclusion as Gigi--they are all handcrafted so that must attribute to the variety--although you'd think they'd have some sort of benchmark for that sort of thing they way they do for other aspects of the bag.

Re: the strap guides---I don't notice anything special; I checked the Clemence and could see it perhaps a tiny bit, but I think MrsS' post #34 is correct as to why it would appear that they are leaning in...I wonder if they use some type of leveler to position the guides.

There's definitely something on the bottom; I can see its silhouette--if anyone can cast light on this, that would be fab...otherwise I'll check with a craftsperson when I hit the stores in a few weeks.

thanks orchids! very helpful and thank you for checking :smile:

by silhouette of something down there, do you mean this? [hard to explain what i'm pointing at, but hopefully you'll see what i mean) i still think its layered leather, even though its quite firm. only because wouldnt wood make the bottom almost knockable? like you could knock on it?
DSC09604.jpg

Actually, I mean when you look into the bag and look at the bottom; it's more apparent on my older bags. The edges of whatever it is seem more noticeable. I have to run out here in a bit so I won't be able to post pics until later.