Dealing with rain & bags

5thelement

Mar 26, 2008
Hi all,

I live in a climate where it hardly ever rains and when it does, only a couple months or so during the year. When that happens, I just don't use my high end designer bags. I'm wondering what everyone else does though? Is there some protection against the elements I should be looking at, particularly if I want to move to a rainier climate?

I have a washed buffalo leather bag from Prada (which has gotten wet before and then the dye shifted and is darker in some spots now :rain: ) and a lambskin Miu Miu that I actually care about preserving.

Thanks!

Hi! I live in Holland, it rains 50% of the days. I never use my Designer bags when it's raining. Raindrops can contain acids that are harmful for leather, so I don't feel comfortable wearing my bags in rain. ;(

I think I'm one of the few here on TPF who does not baby their bags. I own only leather bags and they all get used in the rain. I have never pre-treated them. I just expect them to perform like the animal in the rain. Two of my bags in particular are leather Gucci's with gold/brass hardware. Ironically, my feeling is, while bags are an adornment, they are mainly used for function and should withstand use. That said, all my bags withstand the elements.

This is really one question I need answers too as well. Most of my designer bags I use them regularly even if it rains. Though my coach bag I avoid, however, the rest of the bags I use them. But when my high end designer Louis Vuitton bag I prefer to avoid that. Does the LV Vernis get damaged in rain? I wanted to know that though.

fashionistaera said:
This is really one question I need answers too as well. Most of my designer bags I use them regularly even if it rains. Though my coach bag I avoid, however, the rest of the bags I use them. But when my high end designer Louis Vuitton bag I prefer to avoid that. Does the LV Vernis get damaged in rain? I wanted to know that though.

I just bought an LV Monogram Empriente Citadine in Aubergine. I love it but its winter in NY and I don't want to take a chance with rain or snow. I bought a new strap and breathed some new life to my Damier Alma. I'll just break out the new bag after the new year. The Vernis like the Damier are very resilient. I wouldn't use in a downpour but it def. can take a beating

image-3407272188.jpg

I think I'm one of the few here on TPF who does not baby their bags. I own only leather bags and they all get used in the rain. I have never pre-treated them. I just expect them to perform like the animal in the rain. Two of my bags in particular are leather Gucci's with gold/brass hardware. Ironically, my feeling is, while bags are an adornment, they are mainly used for function and should withstand use. That said, all my bags withstand the elements.

I am just like you. I buy my bags to enjoy, not to baby. I bring them to ball games (actually had someone spill soda on one there once--that was fun:nogood:), all types of weather, set them on the floor etc. One of my pradas looks like it has been through a battle but that's part of the fun imo--it has some great stories of how it got the inside tear and stain and it has had a good life, so to say.

As for an actual tip I read once--you know those reusable bags that roll up (I use envirosax for groceries but there are tons of brands). Someone recommended carrying one in your bag and if it ever starts raining you can just place your handbag inside it and carry the reusable bag instead. It may not be glamourous but it works.

As for an actual tip I read once--you know those reusable bags that roll up (I use envirosax for groceries but there are tons of brands). Someone recommended carrying one in your bag and if it ever starts raining you can just place your handbag inside it and carry the reusable bag instead. It may not be glamourous but it works.

Wanna know what I would use it for? :shame: Being vain, I'd prefer to cover my hair with it! The fact of the matter is when I go inside for cover, my bag will dry up wonderfully but my hair doesn't need to look like I just came out of the shower. :giggles:

same here. If I did not carry my bags in the rain - there would be little reason to have them as I live in the UK where it rains copiously and all year round. I usually carry an umbrella as well though but still I ve been caught out once or twice. I have lambskin bags which got wet and nothing really happened to them. I dont believe in pre treating either. In fact CHANEL are against pre treating...If you have say LV damier or the like (I dont) i would imagine it would be no problem at all in the rain. Would love to hear from those of you who do...

when it rains I only use the bags vuitton monogram or damier canvas are water resistant and will not deteriorate.
I love chanel but put them only when it does not rain.

I don't knowingly use certain bags when I know it's going to rain, I have plenty of bags that don't mind rain at all.

Python lizard and croc don't like rain and no amount of wishing is going to make that change. Croc and lizard will matte-ify (unevenly) and python will become more vulnerable to curling (not from the water but from the drying)

Most leather will be OK, even if companies say otherwise (just covering their 'posteriors' :giggles:smile:. As emcosmo pointed out just carry a nylon roll-up bag with you, they weigh nothing and take virtually no space plus you have an extra shopping bag with you in case you ever need.

If a bag gets very wet from a sudden hard downpour:

1. Take everything out of your bag

2. Fill with scrunched paper (not newspaper because of the print) try to pad it lightly in its correct shape.

3. Leave the bag to dry naturally (do not bring any heater, blow-dryer etc near it)

4. Don't put it away while drying as you will encourage mould, it needs normal light levels, and leave all fastenings open

5. Remove paper from the inside and leave open (propped open if need be)

6. If the leather has gone dull or developed a white bloom don't worry too much. A clean and polish (sparingly, with just a little no-colour, leather creame) will bring the leather back to it's original finish. Make sure the bag is 100% dry before you start.