Day or City what do you prefer and why?

I've owned both, and after using both for a long time, I can honestly say that I prefer the Day. Don't fear it being too big; it's only a little bigger than the City, it's just that the space is distributed differently. The City is great and a classic Bal - but ultimately I find it to be a little too fussy for me. I LOVE the look of it, but the double-zippers make it a little harder to get in and out of the bag. And there are too many things hanging off it - handles, strap, floppy ears. Great for looks, but a bit too much for me in terms of function.

The Day offers deeper pockets (and yes, they're enough to keep me organized; for the rest of the little stuff that can get lost, I use a Makeup) and one single handle that stays on - and I don't worry about it getting dark the way I worry about City handles. GH Days are lighter than GH Cities - so if you're considering getting one with GH, that's a factor.

They're both great bags, and they both look fantastic when broken in. And I agree with everyone, the Day seems much smaller once it's been used a bit. Still fits a lot when you need it to, but slouches nicely when you only carry a few things.

I started with a City as I consider it to be a classic Bal shape. I loved it until I bought a Day, and now that's my fave. Although the City actually holds less than the Day, it seems larger because of its east/west orientation. The Day stays on my shoulder better, and the pockets are larger, so I can fit my keys in one and cell phone, etc. in the other (not as easy in the City). Plus, the Day is cheaper than the City, which is another selling point for me. I just switched back to the City today, and although it's okay to carry, I prefer the Day.

I like the Day better also. I really tried liking the City, but I felt like it never looked right on me. I'm 5'2" and believe it or not, the Day looks better on...The way it hangs, it doesn't look large at all...I sold the one City bag I had and bought 3 Day bags....

There are huge camps for City & for Day!!! Here's one thread discussing the same thing.

I am a City owner, love the size & the structured look. I do love the slouch Day offers & I am considering to get a Day next. So cannot choose one over the other yet at this time. But you mentioned you don't use your big bags much so a City could be a better choice for you. :smile:

I've owned both, and after using both for a long time, I can honestly say that I prefer the Day. Don't fear it being too big; it's only a little bigger than the City, it's just that the space is distributed differently. The City is great and a classic Bal - but ultimately I find it to be a little too fussy for me. I LOVE the look of it, but the double-zippers make it a little harder to get in and out of the bag. And there are too many things hanging off it - handles, strap, floppy ears. Great for looks, but a bit too much for me in terms of function.

The Day offers deeper pockets (and yes, they're enough to keep me organized; for the rest of the little stuff that can get lost, I use a Makeup) and one single handle that stays on - and I don't worry about it getting dark the way I worry about City handles. GH Days are lighter than GH Cities - so if you're considering getting one with GH, that's a factor.

They're both great bags, and they both look fantastic when broken in. And I agree with everyone, the Day seems much smaller once it's been used a bit. Still fits a lot when you need it to, but slouches nicely when you only carry a few things.

good sound advice! :tup: