Date/Craftsman Stamps and Price

1. I am new to this forum, so I hope this is the right place to ask....

Can anybody offer an opinion as to why unused Hermes bags, particularly Birkins, lose value based on the year of the stamp? The style is the same, the quality is the same, and if they are unused, why are they so much less desirable? Also, is there some "formula" for how much less they are worth as each year passes, assuming they are unused?:confused1:

Thanks in advance!!

2. They don't lose value at all. If you go to an Hermes boutique and purchase a bag that was manufactured, say, 3 years ago and that they had in stock, you will pay today's price and not the price of 3 years ago.

If you're lucky, but ONLY if you're lucky, a reseller might give you a bit of discount on an unused bag that is datestamped a couple of years ago. At the end of the day though, these bags will never sell for LESS than what they cost in the year they were produced, always for more.

3. I don't think they go down in vaule when the year passes.

If they do. pls hook me up with a 2006 birkin for a $1000.00 less.:yes: I think that some ppl prefers the current year but the past year birkin doesn't get any cheaper.

Check out the reseller sites. Their birkins are not from the current year and the price is above retail.

4. Actually, I heard this from a potential buyer who was interested in my black togo Birkin with an H stamp. She said she thought my price was too high for a bag several years old. I thought $7200 was resonable, considering what they sell for now, and the condition of the bag. Perhaps she was trying to get me to lower my price or just not sure. Anyway, thanks for your input!

5. You know, I wonder about that, too. If a bag is, say, 10 years old, should it be selling for lots less than current retail? Or close to what its price would have been new 10 years ago? I'm assuming the condition is "near-new." I am always confused about this. Thanks to anybody who has an idea!

6. I don't think the value goes down at all, especially with plastic still on the hardware. It depends who the seller is, how badly they want to sell it, and what you're willing to pay.

7. I don't think technically they go down either, but I'm pretty sure I've seen Createurs de Luxe sell some "new" but older date stamp Birkins at a lower price than usual... I guess if it was me, if there were 2 Birkins in the color I wanted, and the only difference was that one was several years older for the same price, I personally would take the newer one.

I guess I also woulnd't want to pay as much because I know you paid less for it (since an I Birkin's retail at the time would be less than a K Birkin now). I guess it depends on how badly I want it.

8. I think it's because a new bag is less likely to have been carried around and used. If it's a couple of years old, how many of us really believe a seller when they say that a bag is old but never been used.