Dandruff problem

1. Hi gals
    I've stocked up on my favorite Kerastase Oleo Relax line of hair products and even invested in a fancy T3 featherweight hairdryer. But I've just been noticing my scalp has been dry and flaky lately and it is so annoying. Every day I have to look in the mirror and pick out those annoying flakes out of my hair :s. It really is making me crazy. Even if I have flat ironed my hair to perfection, if I have a dry, flaky scalp, that pretty much kills everything :sad:. I remember last week I was going to go out to dinner with my bf and I had to spend extra time making sure to pull stray flakes out of my hair without him seeing me. That is so not sexy.

So tell me, how do you prevent/solve/deal with this? I need your help!
    :heart: Mich

2. Well, I have to put oil on my scalp, but I've found that Head and Shoulders really does work for me. Plus it has zinc, which is reportedly a vitamin needed to keep your hair healthy (and even grow). I used it after I came out of denial that I had flakes, and it really did work.

3. I have a very similar problem ... I've struggled with the flakes forEVER, and I was in denial for a long, long time. I love Halo Volumizing shampoo/conditioner, but what I need is dandruff control, you know?

I figured out the compromise, and my flakes are gone ... although if I deviate from my routine for a few days, my scalp revolts quickly and the flakes are back.

I have two routines. For everyday: shampoo with Head n Shoulders volumizing, condition with Catwalk volumizing.

For special nights out, I'll shampoo first with head n shoulders, and then shampoo and condition with Halo ...

Sometimes I'll use Neutragena's T-Gel, which works just as well if not better than Head n Shoulders ... however I find the smell horrible, so I'll shampoo with a regular shampoo after to rid the tar smell of T-Gel.

HTH.

4. I second Neutrogena t-gel - it's is FANTASTIC. My bf had terrible dandruff and t-gel cleared it up completely in a few days. It does have a medicinal smell (my bf says it smells like our dog's shampoo LOL!) but all I could smell was a faint soapiness in his hair throughout the day.

He uses it every few days now and I haven't seen one flake for about 12 months...

5. I have very VERY bad dandruff on my scalp. I went to the doctor and got a prescription for it because it was just so awful....i mean to the point where my shoulders would be covered. GROSS! I feel your pain!!

6. ah thank you ladies :heart: i will see if i can get some neutrogena tgel or head and shoulders today...

7. Once or twice a week, I massage baby oil all over my scalp (not the hair just scalp). The next day, I wash and massage my scalp with dandruff shampoo (I sometimes use head and shoulders or neutrogena) both works for me. Make sure that you rinse your hair throughly (massaging the scalp). I apply conditioner on the tip of my hair and lightly on top my hair. Do not massage conditioner on your scalp, I read somewhere that it causes buildup which will dry up your scalp and turn into dandruff.

8. thank you angela! :smile:

9. I second putting oil on your scalp, massaging it well, then washing with shampoo. I also only condition the ends of my hair, never my scalp. I've used Neutrogena T-Gel and it is smelly (because a hair dresser told me it's made of tar) and Paul Mitchell's Tea Tree shampoo.

10. I recommend using H&S since they've come out with so many different varieties of it. Used to be H&S was just the one shampoo and it didn't have the best scent in the world. I think I get a bit of eczema in the winter, so what I do is use H&S "gentle w/ aloe" version first when I'm in the shower, and give the scalp a nice massage. Then for "repeat" (you know, lather, rinse, repeat) I use my regular shampoo, then condition at the end. You could do this as you gradually use less & less of the H&S or whatever you choose to buy.

11. I used to have the same problem and couldn't find any one shampoo or treatment to get rid of it. I realized a year ago, however, that the solution is really simple. You can use whatever shampoo you want. It could even be cheap shampoos at the grocery store. The key is to condition your hair with a good conditioner. I recommend Ojon or Fekkai. After you have done washing your hair, get a comb like this one (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9b/Comb.png), and comb through your hair using the end where the bristles are closest together. This should extract all the remaining dandruff. Shampoo and condition your hair at least 3 times a week and you should be fine.

12. Best kept secret- coconut oil. I go whole foods and buy a container of coconut oil, melt it, and I put it in my hair and rup it into my scalp once a week or every other week. You will be amazed! Sometimes I put a towel on my pillow and sleep with in my hair overnight. Make sure you wash it out of your hair with shampoo and conditioner, otherwise it will make your hair look greasy. But it really works! I have also found that its better to wash your hair every other day or every 2 days. Washing your hair everyday dries out your scalp. I also really like Head & Shoulders in the blue bottle. But I have found the T-gel shampoos & tar or nizorel too harsh. But everyone is different, but I have sensitive skin, so I need something gentle. Let me know if you try this and it works.

13. I was just looking thru this months In Style magazine and Goody has an ad on pg. 429 w/ a "New" Brush that reduces dandruff. It states that it is infused w/ copper, a natural fungicide that eliminates 88% of the fungus that causes dandruff.

Those are the exact words from the ad........

just thought I would mention it ~

14. Head and Shoulders :tup: It has a bit of an 'scaly old guy' reputation, but it has been reformulated and smells nice now. It is so good for your hair, you'll notice changes with a week of use.

15. My doctor recommended H&S and told me not to wash my hair every day. Not sure if you do this, but if you do it might be worth considering only washing every other day.

Hope H&S will work for you too!

Btw, I have to use it constantly basically. Whenever I stop the dandruff will return.