Customs charge from Japan to US?

1. Hi...I hope you can help me with this one.
    I've been eyeing a pair of Jimmy Choo heels on eBay. The seller is located in Japan, has 100% feedback (32 total), from buyers in US as well.
    So I am not really concerned that she is a genuine seller, but I am worried about possible customs charge. Does anyone have experience in this?
    Any advice will be appreciated.
  2. You should ask her to mark it as a GIFT, then you won't be charged with Custom Fee.
  3. I ever purchased over $400 from Jap, my seller disagreed to declare amount below $50 but she marked as a gift and wrote NO amount :smile: I got free charge, try to ask your seller
  4. If she labels as a "gift," can she still put an insurance on it?
  5. She can still put insurance on it, yes.

However, the fact that it's not actually a gift makes asking her to mark it as one illegal, unfortunately. People do it all the time, but I'm just sayin'... so you are aware!
  6. Don't ask her to mark it gift. I sell a lot to the overseas market and take these items to the Post Office on a regular basis. They know I sell on eBay and would know if I was not sending all these items as gifts.

Most sellers who do international shipping in quanity will not mark the item as a gift. It is a federal crime.
  7. Even if they do flag your package and charge you the tax on items from japan is minimal. I used to also be wary of ordering from overseas, but I've never been asked to pay customs fees (dozens of packages later).