Cupboards are bare at food banks

1. That really makes me sad :sad: Just think, if half the population of America would donate 1 can of food, just one, a 50 cent can of food, that would be 200 million cans...
  2. It is sad. So many people are concerned with people in other countries, who are also suffering, sometimes our own people are neglected. The world is just a messed up place right now.
  3. Twiggers, i am so glad you put this on the forum! i had heard about how all of the food banks are at less than half full, combine that with more people losing jobs, homes etc. I wanted to help, but it seemd too huge to know where to start.
    So I clicked on one of the Food Banks in the article and they are emailing me some info, and I am going to my neighbors and local businesses to see if I can get some donations before Christmas. I didn't realized there are so many Food Banks!
    So pick an area you like and get some donations going ladies! They told me that they give 3 meals for every dollar donated! If we all do just a few in our areas or our neediest states( I don't know which those are yet) we can make a difference- even with 5 dollars!
  4. This is a good idea Sarah and very easy to do. It's just a shame there aren't ppl to organize this kind of thing.

I remember way back when I was still in Melbourne, our local supermarket had a bin to put food for the dog shelter. The big bin was filled very quickly with various foods for the homeless dogs.

Now why can't the local supermarkets organize the same thing to humans? It would bust up their sales as well, coz a lot off ppl who donate will prolly buy the food from the store.
  5. Our local food bank has been given over 50,000.oo so far this season, as well as tons of food. Here at least we take care of our own.
  6. Speedy, i am so glad you told me that because i was wondering about California and some other nearby states. The Food Bank I called was for DC and VA. I am not sure how many there are, but I'd like to find out the neediest ones and send them donations!
  7. Now why can't the local supermarkets organize the same thing to humans? It would bust up their sales as well, coz a lot off ppl who donate will prolly buy the food from the store.

It is a good idea and some stores do it in my area. Publix allows you to buy a bag of food, price ranges from 10 dollars and up and it includes all sorts of can goods and supplies that will be donated. I just wonder how they distribute it- if it is to families in the bags, to shelters in the bags, or if the store simply provides the dollar amount in goods to shelters, etc.
  8. Almost all of our local stores donate foods and stuffs that don't sell and they can't send back. One, Food Maxx (owned by Lucky's) stopped giving them meats, instead they would destroy it, citing lawsuits if someone should get sick from tainted meat. When that came out in the papers, tons of people just stopped shopping there completely. One of our really large chain stores also donates broken bags of pet foods for the homeless/low income who have pets.

In the harvest season, our food bank asks local gardeners for any extra produce, my MIL always has tons of stuf to give. (Her zuccinnis' alone would feed a small army!)
  9. ^^^speedy, where are you? I see it says N. CA....but here in San Jose the mercury news just ran a story about how short second harvest food bank is.....I am away for a few days, but planned on making a costco run when I got back.
  10. I'm in Northern Indiana....and ours are short here too! They just had a big news story on it last night.

I agree that grocery stores need to help out and make it easier. In CA they always had bins by the door of SaveMart that made it easy to just drop a bag of groceries in.

Boy Scouts will often do a food drive too....they'll leave a plastic bag in your mailbox and then they'll pick it up later that week.
  11. Mendocino County Tink. We have a huge homeless problem, but the community has created a way to collect as much foods and money as possible here to care for them. We are even building a new kitchen not far from my apartment, on donated land. We also do all this year round, so stuff can be stored for future use.

The mailmen do a drive twice a year, we leave canned goods by the mailboxes, the boy and girl scouts do drives, as well as some of the other chartible organizations too. Being in an agricultural area helps too... many, many gardeners here plant an extra row to donate, as well as the bigger wineries and pear growers who give seconds foods.

Now if they'd just start building more housing instead of big box stores, I'd be really happy.
  12. Really sad to hear this. So many have plenty, and don't give back. It is a wake up call for all of us.