Cruelty-Free Cosmetics

1. Hi everyone,

Here is a horrible article that I found the other day whilst researching for a uni assignment and I had to post this for all of you animal lovers out there:

WARNING - Photos ARE disturbing!!!! :sad:

Choose Cruelty Free - Testing

http://www.choosecrueltyfree.org.au/animals.html

I have found a list of SOME of the cosmetic companies that test on animals. :mad: The list is by no means exhaustive:

Clairol
    Colgate-Palmolive
    Covergirl
    Elizabeth Arden
    Erno Laszlo
    Helena Rubenstein
    Johnson & Johnson
    Lancome
    L’Oreal
    Max Factor
    Maybelline
    Missha
    Neutrogena
    Olay
    Redken
    Rimmel
    Sally Hansen

I guess if you are interested, and if you know of any other companies which do test on animals we could add them to the list so we are all able to make an informed choice about whether we want to support these companies.

It is your decision, but I know i certainly won't be supporting them especially considering there are so many fantastic cruelty-free cosmetics out there.

2. I've been on that website and it totally woke me up about what makeup I choose to use.
    MAC, Urban Decay, and Hard Candy are three companies that sell beautiful cosmetics for all ages, races-- and they don't test on animals!
    Thanks for the link AussieLVLover. With two hamsters of my own at home, it makes me sick to think about what folks do to pocket pets, dogs, cats, etc. Disgusting!

3. Thanks for your support Vuittonhammie :flowers:

Here you will find a list of some more companies that do test and a comprehensive list of the companies that don't.

Animal Testing in Cosmetic Industry

4. It's amazing... I never thought I would be so attached to hammies, but they are SO SMART. Something that little can feel, think, breathe, love, have likes and dislikes... and companies out there abuse them thinking that they are disposable!!
    I need to go thru my makeup and see what to keep and what to get rid of!

5. ^ Thanks for posting!! I simply cannot wrap my head around how this actually still goes on in 2006. Absolutely 100% unecessary. We should all try to make a conscious effort to buy cruelty-free products.

6. BTW- Danica, love your avitar. Is that your cutie?

7. :love: It sure is Vuittonhammie. She's my little angel.

8. It's so upsetting to see animals treated this way. It makes my blood boil!! I use a lot of Tarte...they don't use animals.

9. I am completely against animal testing, it is simply cruel but a part of me wonders if it's any better that I carry around leather handbags.

EDIT: I completely support coming up with a comprehensive list. It's good to get the information out there.

10. I know for a fact Revlon tests on animals too... they have been injecting the poor babes with chemicals to test to see what tolerance they have before they die.

11. Ah! Remembered one other thing. Notice that Bath and Body Works is on the "we don't test" list... but if you notice the back of their products, it states something about the finished product not tested on animals... a friend of mine pointed this out to me. The finished product is not tested, but what about the components to make the finished product... ah, tricky!

12. Thank you so much for posting this article, I am an avid supporter of all things humane concerning animals. This sickens me :confused1: that people feel the need to put animals through this torture for human benefit. I would love to believe that there really are many people who care very much about these animals, and would buy other products that do not test on animals. It always helps to spread the word on a forum like this...maybe we'll get there someday, and all animals will be able to live pain free lives. Thanks again :smile:

13. Thanks for your responses guys. Yeh I was amazed that this is still going. I guess we still have a long way to go but if we do spread the word around and support cruetly-free cometics companies, we will start to make a difference.

Thanks for the info Hammie about Revlon and Bath and Body Works.

14. I think I will mainly stick with my MAC. If I get the new Viva Glam lipstick and lipglass that just came out, I'll be supporting AIDS research too!! Yippee!! Say NO to animal cruelty!

15. Kiehl's is cruelty free ;)