Cristina's Diet & Fitness Journal - sticking to it this time.

1. As some of you know, I had breast augmentation surgery a couple of weeks ago. The girls look wonderful so far, but I have not been able to work out for over two weeks. I can finally go back to the gym on Wednesday, but only for cardio. I can't lift weights for another 4-5 weeks.

So, since I can't lift, I'm taking the time I normally spend lifting and doing cardio instead, extending my sessions a bit (and hopefully not boring myself to death) in hopes of possibly leaning out some. I'm feeling quite fluffy lately :rolleyes:

I did a huge fridge and pantry cleanout yesterday. It seems that when I lose focus of my diet, that all of these foods that I think are healthy "sneak" into my grocery cart (hey, how did those pita chips get in there?) and end up in my fridge, pantry and eventually on my butt :p I went to Publix yesterday and restocked my kitchen with what I should be eating.

I figure that if I post this in "public", that it will help me hold myself accountable. For the next 4-5 weeks, I'll be sticking to the following plan.

Workout - Starting Wednesday, September 19

Monday - 45 minutes cardio, 15 minutes abs
    Tuesday - 60 minutes cardio
    Wednesday - 45 minutes cardio, 15 minutes abs
    Thursday - 60 minutes cardio
    Friday - 45 minutes cardio, 15 minutes abs
    Saturday - Off or 45 minutes cardio
    Sunday - Off

Eating Plan - Starting Sunday, September 16

Meal 1, 5:00 a.m. - to be started when I begin working out in the morning again; 1 tsp. natural peanut butter, glass of skim milk; OR ready-made carb control chocolate fudge protein shake

Meal 2, 8:00 a.m. - old fashioned oatmeal with splenda; 2 tbsp. blueberries

Meal 3, 10:00 a.m. - 4 oz. chicken; 10 raw, unsalted almods (yum)

Meal 4, 12:00 p.m. - 4 oz. tuna with 2 tbsp. spicy dijon mustard; 3/4 cup raw broccoli or cauliflower (don't like either of these steamed, yuck); mini hershey bar for dessert :p

Meal 5, 3:00 p.m. - protein bar or carb control ready-made protein shake

Meal 6, 6:00 p.m. - 3/4 cup scrambled egg whites with 1 tbsp. salsa; steamed asparagus

Meal 7, 8:30 p.m. - protein "pancake" made with 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder, 1/3 cup oatmeal, splenda, cinnamon and 3 tbsp. egg whites; 2 tbsp. raspberries

This eating plan will be followed Monday-Friday. Weekends will be less strict, but I will stick to one or two "cheat" meals per week, not one or two "cheat" days.

It might sound a bit drastic, but I need to jumpstart things. I'll be using this "journal" to track my progress and vent about how much I hate doing long cardio sessions :p

2. Not on topic necessarily BUT listen to your plastic surgeon when he tells you not to work out with weights for a X number of weeks after augmentation. I didn't listen (because I was feeling good post-op and restless due to the diminished activity) and I ended up getting an infection under the muscle. It cleared up really quickly, but getting rid of the resulting scar was a PITA. I did eventually but I wish I had listened and not thought I knew better. UGH!!!!

3. Eeek, I'm sorry you had go through that. I am sticking to the PS's instructions 100 percent. I think I'm actually going to forgo chest work for double the amount of time I was given to not lift weights. I'll do everything else but chest. I've heard of women having issues with distortion of the implants, and I don't want to risk anything. Recovery was hellish enough! And I'm going to start light with the weights and work my way back up to heavy again.

4. good luck Cristina... I'm starting too:smile: I need to loose my summerpounds.

5. ^^^ Distortion can be an issue depending also on the placement of the implant (in ft/in bk of muscle) as well as whether you went with saline and silicone.
    About the menu: would you continue to go this high protein even after you start weight lifting again? All your foods were in my diet too (except for the mini hershey bar & the fruit) but if I wasn't trying to lean out I would have an 8 oz yam w/ 4 oz baked skinless boneless chicken breast and one cup of green beans for lunch. The yam worked wonders especially if I was depleted from a weight lifting session in the morning... Also, what protein drink are you using? I used to love Myoplex Lite unless I was looking for straight-up protein with only 2-4 gr carbs/serving... Overall :tup: on the food plan: it looks rigorous to me (and maybe a bit low on carbs when you weight lift) but balanced otherwise and not overly restrictive.
    Enjoy the training though; I can't wait to join you and write up my journal/training log that I need to follow... so fun!

6. Thanks for the input, Emma. I have saline, under the muscle implants. I think the distortion issues had to do with implants placed under the muscle? That's why I have to be extra cautious. But I didn't want them over the muscle because the increased risk of capsular contracture. If I have to give up heavy chest work for life, I'd be okay with that, I guess. Even though I was kicking butt with benching :p

The eating plan is definitely on the strict side. However, I plan on using this only until I start lifting again in 4-5 weeks. After that, I want to increase my carbs and keep the protein the same amount. I aim for 1g protein per pound of body weight, so I'm looking at around 135g protein per day, maybe a bit less. I plugged in the foods and servings in CalorieKing and came out to around 1400 calories, but I haven't calculated the protein and carbs yet.

What are your recommendations on implementing more carbs into the plan once I start lifting again? I love sweet potatoes, maybe add one in there? Eat half of it with one meal, and the other half with dinner, for example.

My RTD shakes are EAS Myoplex Carb Control Lite. Around 120 calories, 17g protein and 6g carbs per each little serving thingie. My powder supplement is also EAS, 120 calories, 22g protein and 2g carb per scoop.

Keep the suggestions coming :nuts:

H&H - Good luck! I know how hard it can be, but you can do it!

7. ooh good luck Cristina! Smart choice to definitely listen to your surgeon!

When you do cardio, how do you do 60 minutes? Are there resting times in between? Or is it just 60 furious minutes of hardcore cardio? :boxing:

8. My plan (when I was training for competition but not leaning out) was:

Breakfast 3/4 cup oatmeal + raisins + 3 scrambled egg whites

Mid-morning snack 4 oz 99% fat-free ground turkey breast w/ 2 6"-diameter corn tortillas (to which I would add salsa and cilantro)

Lunch: 8-oz baked yam --not white potato-- (OR 1 cup cooked rice) + 4-6 oz skinless boneless chicken breast + 1 cup green beans or broccoli

Afternoon snack 1 1 packet Myoplex Lite

Evening snack 2 tbs all-natural almond butter + 2 salt-free rice cakes (sometimes I would substitute a high quality peanut butter instead)

Dinner: salad w/tomatoes, onion and green leafy vegetables + 4 oz lean protein (usually chicken, sometime fish) + 1 cup green beans or broccoli

(If I stayed out late and got home a few hrs. after dinner, I would have a high-protein shake before bed)

Note about breakfast: I would usually just eat the oatmeal (1 cup instead of 3/4) and skip the raisins altogether. I would also save the scrambled eggs for the midmorning snack and make it into an omelet w/the turkey breast, salsa and cilantro and eat it w/ the tortillas...

With this menu, I would usually work-out one muscle group/day for about 45 min- 1hr (except when I did biceps --I combined biceps and triceps same day b/c it gave me much nicer/better proportionate results). Additionally, I did cardio 3 times a week for an hour never on an empty stomach b/c I wasn't --at this point-- trying to lean out). I also drank A LOT of water (distilled water) ~ 1 GAL/day.

The diet was enough food for me (meaning I never felt hungry, though sometimes I had cravings). I also had a steady supply of energy because I was eating small portions every couple of hours.

Things that helped me: 1) I was very motivated; 2) I am vey disciplined; 3) I was a student, so I had a schedule that allowed me to take frequent breaks for eating & training 4) I don't like alcohol, so I never drink any (this is big, I think) and 5) --after about 2 years of heavy training-- I actually set-up a gym --complete with weights/treadmill/elliptical trainer in my house, so I could easily take breaks from studying and train 2-3x/day.

Also, the diet I was following actually leaned me out quite a bit even within the first few weeks of following it. I stopped retaining water pretty quickly and I could actually start seeing the outlines of various muscles (and sometimes striations in my delts which was AWESOME!!!) so that, too, was very motivating.

I also took a multi every day...

Sorry this took so long... ;) it was (will be again after the twins) such a huge part of my life that I can never be brief about it...

9. sounds like me when i'm really dedicated. i have been feeling like absolute crap lately though, that means i have to go back on my regimine and stop eating anything i want. i know i'll feel better, sometimes it just takes so much time to prepare healthy food. but, tomorrow is a perfect time to start. no work, school early, it's the gym in the afternoon for me.

10. and i have to go to whole foods anyway to look for natural soaps and stuff to use. perioral dermatitis can REALLY put a damper on your mood for a long time if you can't seem to get rid of it. :crybaby:

11. i work hard when i'm training for whatever it may be, but i don't compete. usually i was training because i was going away on vacation. lol are you guys body builders or something though? or just fitness competitors?

12. I'm not a figure or fitness competitor. I have a secret desire to one day do a figure competition, but right now I'm not ready for the dedication it takes, and I would have a long way to go. LOL, mostly I'm concerned about the eating. There is no way I can go without wine on Friday nights, and an indulgent meal once a week :p

I work out and weight train because I love the way it makes me feel. And eating well goes hand in hand with that for me. Also, I enjoy challening myself.

I'm not sure if anyone else feels this way, but when I commit to something such as this eating plan, I feel as if it has to practically become an obsession. When I lost 25 lbs. three years ago, losing weight and my fitness goals were all I thought about. That was when I was in college. Now, I work full time, have other responsibilities, and it gets hard to put myself first. So, one of the challenges I face is to put myself and my goals first. It can be hard to stay focused, but I need to be thinking about the goals I've set constantly, or else I lose sight of them. Anyone else feel the same way?

Anyway, logging my meals for yesterday.

M1: 1/2 cup old fashioned oatmeal, splenda, 2 tbsp. blueberries

M2: 3/4 cup scrambled egg whites, 1 tbsp. salsa; 1 cup raw cauliflower

M3: pure protein s'mores bar

M4: 4 oz. chicken; 8 roasted asparagus spears. I roasted them in the oven with 1 tsp. minced garlic, salt and pepper to taste. Delicious!

M5: RTD carb control shake; 10 raw almonds

13. I competed in fitness for about 5 years after which I transitioned into bodybuilding for my last competition (to date). I placed 3rd in my weight group at approximately 130 lbs and 6% body fat. I plan on competing again just as soon as I give birth to the twins and can start seriously training again.

14. Sounds like an awesome plan Cristina! Good luck, and congrats on the new girls. :smile:

15. I like your meal plan. It was very similar to what I was doing when I first got into training, especially with heavier weights. Like you, I am very disciplined and motivated when I want to challenge myself. I was also a student when I was in the best shape I've been in, and found it so easy to stick to the meals and do things right. Working out is not the issue for me, because I actually do enjoy it and I hit the gym before work. It's trying to be disciplined and motivated with my diet.

I definitely need to add more carbs once I start lifting. I hate brown rice - never could get used to the taste, even when adding a little bit of malt vinegar to it - so I think I'll start buying yams again. I love "steaming" them in the microwave, adding splenda and cinnamon :drool: I will probably also add 1 tbsp. of natural peanut butter somewhere in there, too, besides the 1 tsp. I eat in the mornings. I love PB out of the jar :heart:

I plugged in my food for today in FitDay. So far, including my upcoming evening snack I'm at 1160 calories, 28g fat, 101g carbs and 111g protein. This is low for me. But I'm not hungry. Go figure. :shrugs: Maybe it's all the water I'm drinking. I'm peeing like a mofo!