Creative TPF'rs Please Help!

1. Hi All, besides having the best taste in the world I know there are several very creative members who post here as well. I work in an elementary school and teach Grade One. Our school has decided to have a Decorate Your Door challenge for African Heritage Month. The goal is to design something original, that the children can make that represents one area of Black History. It could be literature, arts, history, the list is endless. I have a couple of ideas, one of them is a door that would centre around Martin Luther King. I could call it Martin's Big Words (yes, this is based on a book) and have the children draw and illustrate words, ex. love, together, peace. I am just not sure how to make it look appealing. I would appreciate any creative imput. I really want the kids to have a chance to design something special that they work on and they can feel that they have accomplished something.
    I would love to hear your ideas. Many thanks!:heart:

2. I love that! Or how about something about Harriet Tumbun and the underground railroad. Thats something i distinctly remember learing about in elementary school.

3. I would make a list of themes for the door and have them vote and decide what they want to do then I would give them a bunch of paper glue glitter and markers paint and other art supplies and let them have at then arrange them in an interesting way on the door. before they give them to you have them explain how their picture relates to theme. they feel more proud of their door because they had huge part in designing in it. even if its not the prettiest they still love it and think its the greatest.

or have the kids pitch ideas to you this might be a little advanced for them but if their old enough to do this
    it would really get the excited about this.

good luck

4. I LOVE that idea!!!!!!!!! Please take pics when it is done!!!

5. Hi! I teach elementary art. I love first grade! :smile: Maybe you could have each student do something on a square of paper...maybe like approx. 6X6 or slightly larger and then put it all together like a quilt. You could even focus on Faith Ringold, African-American author/artist famous for her story quilts.
    http://www.ndoylefineart.com/ringgold.html

There are also children's books on Ringold
    http://www.ecampus.com/bk_detail.asp?isbn=9780375812002&referrer=frgl
    you could tie the door/quilt into an activity following a story. Maybe see if your library has any books like that...

Good luck! Post a picture of the door!

6. Hi! I teach elementary art. I love first grade! :smile: Maybe you could have each student do something on a square of paper...maybe like approx. 6X6 or slightly larger and then put it all together like a quilt. You could even focus on Faith Ringold, African-American author/artist famous for her story quilts.
    http://www.ndoylefineart.com/ringgold.html

There are also children's books on Ringold
    http://www.ecampus.com/bk_detail.asp?isbn=9780375812002&referrer=frgl
    you could tie the door/quilt into an activity following a story. Maybe see if your library has any books like that...

Good luck! Post a picture of the door!

7. The first thing I thought of was a Black History "quilt" for the door, where each student would choose a different person design a square based on that person's life and achievements. Then you could put them all together to look like a quilt and make the center square something that kind of ties it together. I think 1st graders would be way to young for it though :s...

OMG Artjen! That is so freaky!!! I didn't read your post until after I typed mine :shocked:

I honestly think the original idea is great! :shrugs:

8. How funny! Good ideas!:smile:

9. This would be a great opportunity to expose them to some other African Americans who made tremendous contributions to society. Everyone learns about Martin Luther King, Harriet Tubman, Rosa Parks because that is pretty much what all the social studies and history books have. Broaden their horizons a little bit and dig a little deeper. Have them learn about some of the lesser known African Amereicans who are deserving of recognition for impacting our society.

10. That sounds really good,a quilt idea,then they can have thier own lil bit to do and contribute,and feel really special that they have a peice all of their own!!!

11. I love the quilt idea!!! :smile:

12. i also thought of a quilt theme when reading the op. there is one school of thought that says runaway slaves used quilt patterns to show them the way to freedom. i would research this and see if it might be something you and your students would enjoy. it would make for a colorful and attractive door with the black history theme.

13. Queen, I was thinking the same thing about how the quilts were used as secret signs to those traveling the Underground Railroad

14. TY all for your ideas. I have been working on the quilt ideas.
    Artjen: I checked out the Faith Ringgold web site and her work is amazing, I also have the book Sweet Clara and the Freedom Quilt that deals with how slaves used to make quilts as maps to freedom. I think it would be neat to have the quilt focus on a timeline of history from early Africa to slavery to famous historians to moder heroes. I am starting to visualize it now. TY all for your suggestions. I will post a picture of our door when we are finished.