cost of bags - sobering thought

There's no way I would spend five days wages on one handbag - economically it makes no sense.

The money would be better off invested in something. And, then, if I made a decent return on the investment, I would buy myself a treat or reinvest the money.

A lot of people forget about this little thing called "the future". Where they may not be able to earn a decent income to sustain a good lifestyle. But, hey, they've got a nice handbag! :roflmfao:

Who is saying we can't sustain a good lifestyle, plan for the future and occasionally treat ourselves to a great bag!! It's a matter of living within your means. Most people have a vice- just wish mine was a bit less expensive!:angel:

It's a matter of priorities - if we couldn't pay the mortgage, save into the pensions, look after the kids, have a family holiday - then i wouldn't have the great bag!

Is it me or is that rather harsh? If a guy spends £1000 on golf clubs or fishing gear no-one says a word, the cost of a bag may well be a weeks money to some but it sure lasts longer than a lot of other things and if it gives pleasure then why not?, take for instance a holiday....look what you spend and it is over in a week or two.

Making provision for your future is sensible so long as your fortunate enough to actually have one, however you need to live a little in the short time we are here, and everything is a gamble, just like your 'investment' if it goes 'belly up' then you'll wish you had just bought the damn handbag! :rolleyes:

If some guy was asking about spending a week's worth of wages on golf clubs or fishing gear I would have been just as direct.

As for investments, one generally goes for safe mid and long term ones. Not some flash-in-the-pan, get-rich-quick one; which are almost always scams. With sound knowledge of what one is investing in, one rarely loses one's money.

As for the shortness of life; yes, some people don't live long. However, if one lives until old age (which most of us will given the advances in medical technology) and invest wisely, one will be glad they did; as they wont have to eat dog food and take public transport until they die. They can eat caviar and be driven around in a Mercedes instead.

If you like instant gratification: Go for it! However, don't come crying to me when you're old, living on a pension and don't have enough money for food and electricity. :okay:

As for my spending a week's wages on a Damier Geant; it was more like one days' wages for me. Therefore, I still had plenty left over. ;)

There's no way I would spend five days wages on one handbag - economically it makes no sense.

The money would be better off invested in something. And, then, if I made a decent return on the investment, I would buy myself a treat or reinvest the money.

A lot of people forget about this little thing called "the future". Where they may not be able to earn a decent income to sustain a good lifestyle. But, hey, they've got a nice handbag! :roflmfao:

I agree about the harshness of the above.. My DH and I work hard and earn a good living along with putting quite a bit of funds into our future retirement. The bills are paid each month and I only buy a couple of bags a year, so :wtf:?? I also buy decent clothes that are not high end designer brands and we also don't go out that much. Our date nights are spent cooking and staying in with a good movie. So... to each his own~~

But Hey , you might be run over by a bus tomorrow-Live the day , thats my Motto !!!

:wlae::wlae::wlae:

I`ve just read the rest of this thread looks like I`m a bit late and missed all the fun..

If some guy was asking about spending a week's worth of wages on golf clubs or fishing gear I would have been just as direct.

As for investments, one generally goes for safe mid and long term ones. Not some flash-in-the-pan, get-rich-quick one; which are almost always scams. With sound knowledge of what one is investing in, one rarely loses one's money.

As for the shortness of life; yes, some people don't live long. However, if one lives until old age (which most of us will given the advances in medical technology) and invest wisely, one will be glad they did; as they wont have to eat dog food and take public transport until they die. They can eat caviar and be driven around in a Mercedes instead.

If you like instant gratification: Go for it! However, don't come crying to me when you're old, living on a pension and don't have enough money for food and electricity. :okay:

As for my spending a week's wages on a Damier Geant; it was more like one days' wages for me. Therefore, I still had plenty left over. ;)

Nirodha - What you dont realise is the that this is a friendly forum and the majority of the girls on here do not preach or tell one another what to do - if anyone asks for help it is genuinely forthcoming. Your comments on how people should spend their money is not justified especially when there are so many other economy issues mainly in the US.
I can assure you that l would not go crying to you or anybody else - as l already along with many others on the Mulberry Forum could not justify spending money on bags or any other luxuries if our children went hungry, were malnourished or we couldn't afford our bills. People spend their money quite rightly so on whatever they wish. Tell me are you a investment banker or politician by any means?

well that's embarrassing. . . I can't believe I just had to spend 15 minutes of my precious time cleaning up a piss match between adults. This is a good time to remind you guys to go back and re-familiarize yoursleves w/ the rules of this Forum.
Can't you see when you're being provoked? Please look the other way or better yet, add the member who annoys you to your IGNORE LIST.
Nirodha, although maybe not very friendly, hasn't actually broken any of our rules.
*Attack the post, not the poster*

Well today I was telling someone at work that I had got two bags for the holiday season, (1 birthday, 1 Christmas) and the person I was telling said good for you I can't wait to see them, an investment. Someone else asked how much they had cost. I told them the RRP and their jaw dropped and her comment was 'how could you when there are starving children in Africa?'. I stood there are asked her exactly how much of her wages did she regularly give to charity and what made her think she had a right to dictate how I spend my money. Her reasoning for not giving to charity is that she has 3 sons and as i am childless I should know better. It left me feeling like crap. I can't have kids so buying bags is a little light relief from constantly saving or paying for treatment. I think investing is fine but I spent my whole time not enjoying myself and saving when I was younger and although a bag may not be much, it is a touch of luxury that makes me feel a little better about things and I defend my right to spend my money anyway I choose and not be judged by it.

Snork, you should be applauded and not judged,after overcoming that and to have the humour to horse around with us and enjoy yourself is a lesson to us all.God bless you xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I just read this entire thread. I work in academia, don't earn much $$, save, stretch my money, and still manage to buy some handbags each year. I think of it as "the latte factor." I don't buy lattes, or lunch out, ever. There's no shopping per se here where I live. So I don't spend dribbles of money each day....but when I do go to the U.S., I buy something fabulous. On this last trip, as you know, I got a Bayswater and an Antony. I had my Merry little Christmas in November... I also edit my collection and give away bags, to keep my collection small and in use. I give to charity. Yes I feel guilty, but this is my pleasure. I spend my day giving and giving to my family. This is my payback. BUT YES, THE COST OF BAGS IS A SOBERING THOUGHT....which is the name of this thread!

Why so serious? A lot of things cost the equivalent of a weeks wages, car insurance for the year or its service for example, it was just an observation to put a perspective.

I dont think there is any danger of me needing to live on dog food because I bought a few expensive accessories, and I personally don't put taking public transport in quite the same category, but thanks for the comparison as it did make me laugh :roflmfao: