Copyright Infringement and citing sources

1. I've noticed a lot of copy and pasting entire articles that are copyright protected without crediting the original source. I don't think it is good idea because it's against the law. I mean if you own the orignial photo than you can post it wherever you like but if it is from someplace or an article is written from another news site I'd like to see a cite because it is the proper and right thing to do.

If the general trend here is that you don't want knockoffs ripping off other designers work, the logic should be applied to making sure stuff posted is given its proper citation.
  2. I have definitely noticed this, too, and I remember a few posts where the article was posted, and at the end of the article were a few sentences talking about the copyright of their material and how they are protected, etc. It's serious stuff.
  3. I think that's a good point. I do post articles from time to time but I always post the name of the publication and a direct link to the article as well.
  4. Thanks for the link but I didn't see where the anouncement was if there was one. I'm just bothered by the lack of citing sources. Most of the messageboards I belong to have strict copyright rules where you can quote portions but not the entire thing AND you have to include your cite so that ppl can go read the entire article if they want to. I've noticed that even when one cite is requested the request is ignored. To me thats bizarre and a saddening trend. WRT images well thats a whole can of worms. Would I like to see cites where those images come - ofcourse. There is a limit to fair use and I doubt copying an entire article without credit to its souce just as information probably doesnt apply to fair use. Just my 2 cents.
  5. Fyi, this topic is covered under the offiicial tPF rules posted by Vlad:
    • Observe all COPYRIGHT LAWS, TOS's and NDA's when posting copyrighted material. If the material belongs to someone else, please credit the original author. Do not post messages that violate Federal, State, or Local laws which include, but are not limited to, anything that violates a copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, or is bound by NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement).
    • Do not post materials if you do not have permission to distribute them electronically or otherwise. This includes posting images directly from a website (hotlinking). Please make use of the forum's attachment function to share such materials with the community.
  6. ^^^^ very nteresting!
  7. We have a rule as stated above. People need to be aware that they are responsible for what they post.

I will talk to Vlad about this and see where we would like to go with it- as far as enforcing etc. Thanks all.
  8. As cosmo pointed out, this is covered in the forum rules. If it were to enforcing this rule, our mods would probably have to turn their voluntary activity into a full time job, which is impossible.

All I can do it to encourage citation and proper crediting, but when it comes to enforcement, my hands are pretty much tied.