Food Cooked venison today

ProfNot

Sylvie Guillem fan
O.G.
May 10, 2006
I cooked venison today for a dinner party. Didn't use a recipe, just tried some "middle of the night" ideas. Came out great.

I marinated the thinly-sliced vension in Bourbon then sauteed them on a hot griddle.

Venison was served with mixed wild, brown, and red rice. Rice was quickly sauteed in hazelnut butter then cooked in a rice cooker.

A reduction sauce was made of beef broth, Bourbon, tiny amount of oil from Dijon mustard jar, and pinch of cardamom. Tart red cherries (no sugar) were stirred in during last half hour. Sauce was served over venison and rice.

Brussel sprouts roasted with hazelnuts was the side dish.

Gingerbread made with fresh ginger was dessert. Accompanying it was homemade vanilla bean infused voda.

Dinner was a hit.

btw
Venison is lean and free of the nonsense they put in beef. Cheaper than beef sirloin and far better for you. Taste is like beef but slightly nutty and gamey.

Sounds like a great dish.
Its deer hunting season right now where I live.
You are right about the nutrition in venison. Its full of protein, lean and free of the crap we get in beef. When its hunted in the wild, its perfect for us. Thats how we were meant to eat meat.

We lived in PA when I was younger and my grandfather hunted, as well as uncles. My grandmother would lightly fry hers- she'd coat it in flour, salt, pepper and then cook it in veg oil and serve w/ homemade hot applesauce. Not the healthiest, but I remember liking it. I don't know if I could eat it now though- I can't do veal, lamb or anything like that either. It's the thought of it, I guess and it's really just too "gamey" tasting for me.

Thanks to my Dad hiring a hunter to come onto our property to relieve us of some of the huge deer population, I now have a freezer full of tenderloin, steaks, and ground venison...I'll have to start experimenting soon! :smile:

Elizat, that sounds like country fried steak (using cube steak), one of my faves! Except I make mine with a white gravy, like the southerner that I am, making it twice as healthy :P

From what I've heard, marinating the venison in a liquid that has vinegar added to it should take a bit of that gamey taste away.