Command for a dog to not jump up on you?

When my husband was training our 2 german shepherds and doberman pinsher as puppies when they would run up and try to jump on him her would put up his knee and say no in a stern tone so that they jumped into it. After a few times they stopped jumping. Now they don't jump on anyone, which we are all grateful for because they are all quite big now.

That's my method too: Knee up and a stern command: "DOWN!" Works like a charm. It's not cruel at all. You aren't hurting the dog. The worst they'll do is bump your knee cap.

We train people to use "Off" as well, most people use "down" for lay down and that only confuses the dog. The reason the dog is jumping on you is because they want attention, if you turn from them they lose that attention.
If they learn that the unwanted behavior gets them no where they will stop, and VERY IMPORTANT, if they approach you and they don't jump up make sure you give them lots of praise and petting(attention) to let them know that this is the behavior you want.

This is spot on! I have trained many a dog and "off" is the word. It is also good to teach sit. After you say "off" sternly (like a leader) and push the dog down, then make him sit and praise the heck out of your dog. Pretty soon the dog will get the idea and come up to you and sit down. I never use the knee to push the dog away, deep chested dogs are prone to gastric torsion and I have heard of this happening from a blow to the chest.

The typical command is "off" so as not confuse the "down command" . turning your back is good or just showing total ignorance for when they jump. Only treating when they are sitting patiently. Kneeing them in the chest is an old school common practice, until they realized that some dogs actually were injured during the process.

This is spot on! I have trained many a dog and "off" is the word. It is also good to teach sit. After you say "off" sternly (like a leader) and push the dog down, then make him sit and praise the heck out of your dog. Pretty soon the dog will get the idea and come up to you and sit down. I never use the knee to push the dog away, deep chested dogs are prone to gastric torsion and I have heard of this happening from a blow to the chest.

Ooooo, I never heard that. Of course I've never "knee'd" my dogs in the chest. I raise my knee when I see they are coming towards me along with the down command. I would NEVER, EVER do anything that would risk hurting my babies! :nogood:

I haven't noticed my dogs being confused by using "down" as in (don't jump on me) versus "down" (meaning lay down). The don't jump on me "down" has a totally different tone and body language than the "lay down" does. With "lay down" it's a quiet "down" and I point to the floor. The "don't jump on me" version is stern, I'm upright and I point off to the side. Again very, different body language and tone of voice for the two different commands. I can see it could be confusing if there isn't a clear difference though.

jburg said:
I have trained many a dog and "off" is the word. It is also good to teach sit. After you say "off" sternly (like a leader) and push the dog down, then make him sit and praise the heck out of your dog. Pretty soon the dog will get the idea and come up to you and sit down.

when i volunteered at the shelter (where almost all the dogs are HUGE and attention starved) they told us basically the same thing except to turn and ignore them before we started saying "off" and "sit." it lets them calm down a bit so they could listen and you're not rewarding them with negative attention for their bad behavior. it worked pretty well....and i bet it works even better when it's your own dog and you're able to be consistent.

Our dog Rupert was extremely energetic as a puppy so he loved jumping! Its cute at first but then gets annoying. We tried many things, but eventually saying "OFF" in a loud, firm voice worked. Works most of the time but when it doesnt, we just push him off.

no particular command unless he trained her on cue (which sounds like he hasn't) -- guy i was dating in the fall had a one year old golden retriever and she did the same thing, and he too was constantly pulling her away from me. i never minded it though because i am a huge dog person so if she knocked me down and killed me with kisses i wouldn't have cared. lol. at this point though she's probably still young enough to learn some new tricks, maybe he could train her to do otherwise when you walk through the door?

does she calm down after you've been around her for a few minutes? kirin would calm after she had her fill of me.

I learned this from my dog trainer and it worked like a charm on my german shepherd. As soon as the dog jumps on you grab his paws and squeeze them hard enough the dog yelps a little and tries to break free. I had to do this 2 or 3 times and my dog never ever jumped on anybody again.

A simple "no" did not work on my dog because he was not a puppy and he was so used to jumping on people.

Hope this helped.

no particular command unless he trained her on cue (which sounds like he hasn't) -- guy i was dating in the fall had a one year old golden retriever and she did the same thing, and he too was constantly pulling her away from me. i never minded it though because i am a huge dog person so if she knocked me down and killed me with kisses i wouldn't have cared. lol. at this point though she's probably still young enough to learn some new tricks, maybe he could train her to do otherwise when you walk through the door?

does she calm down after you've been around her for a few minutes? kirin would calm after she had her fill of me.

Yes she does somewhat but not completely all the time....so energetic! ;) Lab is lonely during the day so when BF gets home she is so happy! And when I'm there too...well, she and I are still getting used to eachother. I want to be comfortable around her but also don't want her thinking she can get away with all this jumping all over me, KWIM?

Thank you all for your advice and suggestions!! I'll let you know how it goes :okay:

I learned this from my dog trainer and it worked like a charm on my german shepherd. As soon as the dog jumps on you grab his paws and squeeze them hard enough the dog yelps a little and tries to break free. I had to do this 2 or 3 times and my dog never ever jumped on anybody again.

A simple "no" did not work on my dog because he was not a puppy and he was so used to jumping on people.

Hope this helped.

Wow, that's something I hadn't thought of! I would be worried my hands would get scratched when she tries to break free since I have pretty small hands and this Lab is 1 1/2 yo- ?

Thanks! :tup:

I had to read this thread because I have a similar problem with one dog, and nothing has worked yet. I'm going to re-try a few of the tricks and hope they work.

And did I mention that our sweet, big, dumb dog SNORES? He's like a freight train.
:roflmfao::roflmfao: Oh, so does my dog! I'm trying to sleep in my room and I can hear her snoring from in dog house. And she farts too! Hmm, any coincidence that this is DH's dog and not my dog??!!:lol:

I read a while ago that for a jumpy dog it's best to give them something to do besides just saying "no". For my boyfriends dog we started telling her to sit when we knew she was going to come jump and now she just automatically sits when she comes up to us.