comfort foods recipe

1. anybody have any good/easy recipes for mac and cheese? meat loaf? baked ziti?
  2. Baked ziti is one of my favorite recipe's - and if you want it college-style you can really just microwave it! Here's what you need:

--Box of ziti (I use wheat pasta)
    --Your favorite tomato-based sauce (I like Ragu traditional or garlic flavored)
    --Mozzarella cheese, shredded

To cook you cook the pasta according to the box. Drain it, and to it stir in your sauce. Put the sauce-covered pasta in an oven-safe dish and cover with cheese - I like LOTS of cheese. Pop in the oven at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes or until cheese looks melted and lightly browned. Wahla!

For meat loaf I mix the ground beef/turkey with Italian breadcrumb and egg. You may need to use your hand to sort of kneed it like dough. Give it some salt and pepper as well. Then form it into a log/loaf with your hands and place it in your oven-safe container. I cook it at about 400 degrees and I check it after about 45 minutes to see if its pink inside still. I serve it with apple sauce. Mmmm!

Mac and cheese is touch and go. It always comes out too hard for me :s
  3. thanks!!! im def. trying the baked ziti. :drool:

also never had meatloaf with applesauce before. it sounds good!!!
  4. You can never go wrong with the classic Kraft Dinner!
    (A variation on that is to follow the recipe, and add sliced up hot dogs.)

I bought a box of frozen Swedish meatballs, and I was trying to figure out how to cook them, but I figured out how:

Open (and drain) a can of whole potatoes and dump them in a bowl.
    Put 6 (or 8) meatballs on top of the potatoes and microwave the whole thing for 5 to 8 minutes.

It's literally meat and potatoes and it's delicious.
  5. I got this in an email a few years ago. According to the email, it is the recipe of a 105 year old lady in North Carolina, and has been around the world several times, and some of the optional ingredients it has collected were included:

Aunt Addie's Macaroni and Cheese
    7 oz Muellers Elbow Macaroni
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    1/2 cup Hellman's mayonnaise
    2 tablespoons grated onion (grated, not chopped, you want the juice!)
    10-12 ounces grated sharp Cheddar, pepper jack, or mix & match cheese

Mix it all up, except a bit of the cheese for the top, put it in the oven until the cheese is melted.

Optional ingredients include any of the following, singly, or in combination:
    kalamata olives
    jalapeno peppers
    black olives
    diced cooked chicken or ham
    thai chiles
    green peas
    green, red or yellow bell peppers
    bamboo shoots
    chopped spinach
    pine nuts
    water chestnuts
    just about anything you have on hand and think might taste good in a batch of Aunt Addie's!
  6. you can buy potatoes in a can!!? ::wtf:
    I've never heard of that! :p
  7. Yeah! (Or is that only a Canada / England thing?)

My aunt rocks. Every time I visit her or run errands with her, she brings me a bag of groceries. (My aunt and uncle's food storage closet in the basement is ridiculous. Let's just say they'd be all set if they had to go into a bomb shelter.) Anyway, one thing that was in the bag was a can of whole potatoes.
    I was a little iffy at first, too, but I tried them and they're delicious.

It's basically peeled potatoes, water and salt.

You can mash them or slice them up and fry them. (I haven't tried either of those things yet) but you can basically do with them what you usually do with uncanned potatoes.

(If your grocery store has them, try the canned vegetable aisle.)
  8. Haha, thats awesome, i'm from Canada and i've never heard of that, ofcourse i'm not too adventurous when it comes to food, but they are probably there and I just haven't noticed :p ..I'm going to check em out!
  9. the concoction;

1 *box white cheddar KD
    *broccoli or cauliflower (little florets)
    1/4 *white onion (boil with kd for last 5 min of boiling)
    1 * desired amount of hamburger.

- Cook hamburger. Drain.
    - Drain Kd once done boiling, add in desired amount of butter/milk.
    - Add cheese mix.
    - Add cooked hamburger.
    - Add broccoli
    - Add cream of mushroom soup.

*while still hot, shredd some solid cheese, like cheddar..or whatever you prefer and sprinkle it in while stirring, it almost makes little balls of cheese in the mix once it's cooled down a bit. You could also bake this recipe with a layer of cheese on top. : )
  10. This is the meatloaf I swear by but never get to make because my DH is meatloaf impaired. Now that my three and four year olds are asking for it (had it at school), maybe I'll get to make it again.

depending on the size you want to make, scale down the weights.

1 lb ground chuck - the fattier, the better
    1 lb ground pork
    1 lb ground veal
    1 large egg, beaten
    oatmeal - enough to stiffen the meat/egg (probably around a cup)
    1/2 T of sage (I eyeball it, but this should be on the conservative side)
    a dash or two or three of garlic powder or, better yet, 2 smashed garlic cloves

mix and mound in a pyrex loaf dish. top with lots of ketchup. cook at 350 f for an hour or so. you can tell when it is done by giving it a quick touch. should be firm like a medium hamburger.

Also, another favorite of mine.

Potatoes Au Gratin (quick and dirty)

peel 5 large russets and slice thinly). I use a mandoline and it makes this recipe very quick. slice thinly a large yellow onion, if desired.

get a package of ready-to-go fondue cheese and a pint of heavy cream

single layer of potatoes in a 13X9 rectangular pyrex, layer your onions (optional), take half of fondue cheese crumbled and dabbed across evenly. another layer of potatoes. another layer of fondue cheese. pour pint of cream on top (distributed evenly). bake at 350 F for an hour or so until cheese is melted, layers are bubbly, and potatoes are soft.

N.B. I cover with foil for first 45 minutes but always lose some cheese because of the foil, then when done, put it under the broiler to brown.

BEST of ALL WORLDS - meatloaf and potatoes au gratin. comfort city but your clothes won't fit for weeks

enjoy!!! Kathleen