College Students: "Switching Hats"

1. aggh, I may be on spring break this week, but nothing has changed come Thursday night. I am DREADING work tomorrow.

School I don't mind... it's a LOT of work, but at the same time, I can feel more relaxed and get little sleep, grab a coffee, and I'm good to go.

But with work... I'm always nervous and dreading work the next day on Thursday nights. I work Friday 8-4:30 and Saturday 8-12:30, and I'm a bank teller. It's REALLY not that bad! Sure it's a super busy branch. And once I get there, I don't mind it all that much. It's a great job with school and the hours are perfect and are during my availability.

I don't know what it is, I really don't. Just curious if anyone else knows how I feel, or once did, how do you get over it? I've been there for almost a year and it's such a waste of a Thursday because I spend it dreading work... when in reality, once I'm there, it's not so bad. Makes no sense.

2. Whenever you get a "dreading it" thought, slap your mind to switch to a different topic.

I am not being silly. This technique is used by people worrying about their cancer treatments.

The better you can control your "worry thoughts" the less you will worry.

One of the techniques:
    Have a list of things to think about when you get a worry wart bug infestation.
    Some ideas:
    *Make a list of presents to give to GFs and family for next event (Bday, etc)
    *Planning your next party. Food, invitees, date/time, etc.
    *Planning a party for a GF or family member.
    *What you will wear to a fun event in the near future.
    *Logging onto tPF.
    *Planning new meals and recipes.
    *Details for buying season tickets for opera/symphony/ballet
    *Logging onto your local library's website and reserving some books and exercize DVDs for you to pick up in a few days.

If you are really angry:
    Swearing in the privacy of your apt
    Throwing eggs into the sink (surprisingly gratifying)
    Calling someone needing a verbal beating (like my local power company) and giving them an earful.

3. What about finding a new job? After all, this is practice for the real world. Learn to find the job you at least *like* before you have to go out into the job market. Make any sense? Good luck!! (and p.s. - most of us dread going into work at least once or twice in our lives! You are not alone. :smile: )