Cold Weather-Wear Help!

Cristina

O.G.
Oct 23, 2005
I'm going on a trip to DC, December 6-10 :nuts: We're staying four nights at the Hyatt Regency on Capitol Hill. The lighting of the National Christmas tree is that weekend. So excited!

Anywho, being a Florida native, I am clueless when it comes to winter wear. This is what I've purchased so far.

Coach Lambskin Gloves
80037_PAR_d1.jpg

Nordstrom Juniors' Wool Jacket in Black

_5465505.jpg

I want to get a hat and scarf that match, so I'm looking for something in either black or off white. What's better for cold weather wear - a newsboy style cap, or a beanie? What would look better with the jacket? I'm thinking of the following hats.

Juicy Couture Newsboy Cap
_5436093.jpg

J. Crew Wool Beanie
86811_NA6285.jpg

Roxy Black Beanie

What do you guys think? Any help would be appreciated. I want something warm, but don't want to look like a goof wearing it :P TIA!

Beanies are warmer. They cling to your head, trapping all the warmth.

I know you are from sunny Florida but you may not need a hat at the beginning of December in Washington.
I like the cream hat with the pom pom.

I love the pom pom hat and the gloves! As a bonus, they match too. Definitely the way to go. Enjoy DC--it is sooo much fun! Be sure to go to the Spy Museum--one of my favorite places to take visitors!

You're off to a good start! All the hats you're considering are cute, but a beanie will definitely smoosh your hair and probably cause static cling.

At this time of year, you probably won't need a hat for warmth. Maybe you can consider a wool scarf tied around your neck to give you extra warmth if you need it. It doesn't usually get unbearably cold until after Christmas.

Wow haha when I think of December here, there's SNOW and it's kinda cold :wtf:

But I have no idea what the weather's like in DC then... probably the kind of weather we had these past few days (5-6°C) ... yikes!

SOo bearing that in mind, I think all 3 choices would be good. Go with whichever you like best :yes: Personnally I would wear a cream hat so I think the J crew beanie would look gorgeous with your coat (OMG I love it!!!) and glvoes :girlsigh:

You're off to a good start! All the hats you're considering are cute, but a beanie will definitely smoosh your hair and probably cause static cling.

At this time of year, you probably won't need a hat for warmth. Maybe you can consider a wool scarf tied around your neck to give you extra warmth if you need it. It doesn't usually get unbearably cold until after Christmas.

ITA all around!!

Forgot to mention that I did get a scarf :nuts: I bought this one, also from Nordstrom. It matches the gloves.

_5273599.jpg

Urologist - The gloves are from Coach. You can order them online or at your local Coach store and do store pickup, which is nice because shipping is free :nuts:

Thanks for the input, everyone! I know some of you mentioned that I might not need a hat, but I'd like to get one just in case. I have been to DC twice in March, when the temps are in the 50s, and I needed hat, gloves and scarf :P LOL, anything below 70 degrees is cold to me! ;)

I'm going to go with the J. Crew beanie, so that way all of my accessories are off white, and match the black coat. What do you guys think, maybe it will provide a nice contrast? Have to look stylish while walking the streets or riding on the metro :P

Cristina, the scarf you bought is perfect! If it turns out we do get an especially chilly day you can tie it over your head too! But, in any event it's going to look great with your coat and gloves!

Hope you have a wonderful trip. I live in between Baltimore and Wash., DC. The nation's capitol is really pretty all lit up at night.

Hi Cristina, if it's not too late, I would like to recommend BoringSidney - her wonderful hats (berets etc) are anything but boring:

Beatitude beret (wool felt, available in lots of colours)

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=6757431

boringsidneybeatitudeberet.jpg

$30 plus shipping

Felted beret (lots of colours to choose from)

BoringSidneytickledpink.jpg

$30 plus shipping

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=6815640

And but for the fact that I live in sunny climes, I'd snap this wool beret up in a flash :smile:

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=7206808

BoringSidneyredberet.jpg

$30 plus shipping