Codes for cafeterias?

1. To fight childhood obesity, schools have been cracking down on the students' access to sweets / unhealthy things.

There's a story in this week's People Magazine about a Texas elementary school's cafeteria with an automated cafeteria checkout system. The system reads a barcode on a child's ID and a scanner reads what's on the child's tray. Parents can go onto the school's website and find out what that child had for luch. The parents can also restrict what the child can get for lunch in the future.

I like this idea. I think cutting out sweets all together is a tad too extreme. (One school in California had a girl celebrate her birthday with carrot sticks!)

I don't think it should be up to the school what the child eats. I think that should be the responsibility of the parents. I also think that while it's good to teach kids to lose weight by eating healthily, I think it's not a good idea to be Spartan about the child's food. It's important to teach the child to enjoy their food, but in moderation.
  2. I think kids should be allowed some sweets. Just a little, so it's not too "forbidden". Most of the people I know who are overweight are so because their parents never let them have any sweets and when they did (and do) get them they just gorge on it.
  3. I think this is a good idea.

Banning sweets altogether is a bad idea. I think the reason I am so addicted to sugar is because I couldn't have any while growing up. Everything in moderation is best!
  4. I think it's a good step to fight childhood obesity. I think they started this about a year ago with no more pop machines in some schools.
  5. Moderation is key. Maybe one ice cream sandwich a month is okay. The kids that are never allowed to have sweets at home are the ones buying them at every lunch.
  6. I think it's a good plan for the elementary and middle school level. It is also up to the parents to teach their children good eating habits and to let the children that it is ok to have a treat every once in awhile. Like Caitlin1214 said, moderation is the key.
  7. Great idea!!

Also, I think that candy and soda machines should be taken out of schools.
  8. Maybe not taken out of schools but if they figured out a way to set up the candy / soda machines so parents can control whether or not the kids could have access to it would be great.

Put the candy and soda in the automated cafeteria line.