Coco Chanel history

1. As I have mentioned before, I started my 11 year old early. She swears she can tell the difference between a real and a fake Chanel. I tell her, one day, my Chanels will all be hers. Anyway, this month is National Women's History Month and her report is on...

Coco Chanel

Anyway, if anyone has any tidbits about Coco Chanel, it would be most appreciated.

2. I don't have anything to share.. (I'd love to find out more about her myself!) But I think that's absolutely ADORABLE of your 11 year old! :biggrin:
  3. How adorable of your dear DD:love: . Hope all's well with the report! She has chosen a great lady:smile:
  4. OOH! I know one bit of her!
    Apparently, she revolutionalised women's bags. She's known for her tomboy-ish dressing and she could not bear holding her bags all the time with only one free hand. Hence, the renowned chains of Chanel! To let women move freely and to enable them to hang their bags on their shoulders... how SMART!:yahoo:

Merci Mademoiselle Chanel:love:
  5. ooh, great topic! i wish i could have thought of that one when i was younger, then at least i'd have enjoyed one paper :p
  6. An interesting quote:

"True generosity means accepting ingratitude."
    Gabrielle Chanel

I read this quote to my husband and asked if he could guess who said it. He guessed it was the Dalai Lama. It IS a good quote!
  7. aww thats so cute!! I was going to suggest the link posted above.
  8. Gayle you are raising that child right!! LOL
    I have a great book on Coco wished we lived close and she could borrow it for her report. It is a big book with lots of great stuff!!
    Good Luck to your DD!
  9. Can you tell me the title of this book? Merci :yes:
  10. On there is a section that details the life of Coco Chanel. That might help.
  11. When your DD is done with the report, you should post it here. I'll love to read it. Good luck to your DD(future PFer)!!
  12. Thats great that your daughter can tell the difference. I always laugh when my daughter mentions gucci, chanel etc. (she's 9) Last night watching a show and the guy had a plaid jacket on, my husband asks me Is that a burberry? I guess we're rubbing off on them. A couple years ago purchased book on Chanels life story from eBay. There was also a short article in the Feb issue of Allure. Apparently Chanel is bringing back four of the older fragrances from Coco Chanel scents that were no longer sold. One statement said that No. 5 was her favorite scent and had to be sprayed up and down the staircase daily by the shop girls in her store. She was also the first designer to recognize that a fragrance named after herself was a vital analogue of fashion. I have the same idea as you. I have about 7 designer bags and am collecting them for my daughter to have one day.
  13. I would highly recommend the book “Chanel and Her World” by Edmonde Charles-Roux. This is one of the more-respected biographies of Coco Chanel, first written 25 years ago by a former editor-in-chief of French Vogue who was a longtime friend of her’s.