Coach Rehab and Rescue Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a question for all of you rehabbers - sorry no picture this morning. I have a navy basic bag which I have owned since it was new - everything looks good except the zipper itself which looks faded - I have numerous navy bags with zippers and have never seen this on any other bag. I dunked the bag and used a soft tooth brush on the fabric of the zipper trying to see if it was a stain. I was wondering if anyone else had had this probloem and if so what if anything worked on it. Thank you.

I've used mine kind of like I"d use Blackrocks on more beat up bags or my personal bags that I wear the heck out of. It seems to do well on the Vachetta/raw leathers, but works well for everything. I think Obenaufs is something Docride gives a lot of advice about over in Hermes. I prefer Blackrock of the two, but hang onto Obenaufs for the Vachetta stuff. It's got a protective quality as well as beign resistant to mold etc.

Good to know, thanks!

Finally got my first dose of color transfer :cry:

dark jeans and my light canvas men's tote...any suggestions? Since it is canvas and cotton mostly..safe for a quick spin in the washer?

First the good news! Yesterday I found a gorgeous whipstitch trimmed brown bag in very good condition for $13. Hyacinth says that it is a West End Medium Hobo 9467 and cost around $290 in 2000. My pics aren't great but you can see it at the link below.

It is made of calf trimmed with cowhide and has some spots and dirty areas so I was planning to give it a bath, but I have never rehabbed a calf bag so was wondering if anyone has advice on how to procede? Thanks!

http://forum.purseblog.com/coach-sh...s-coach-694619-post22111884.html#post22111884

Now for the bad (I must be crazy) news! I picked up a burgandy spectator checkbook wallet for $4. Hyacinth's best guess is that it is from the Legacy Spectator line in the early 2000s. The wallet is in terrible condition. It is water-damaged, warped, and stinks of mold and mildew! The khaki sig lining has turned green from mold in one compartment! And the plastic id case window is ripped. I kind of felt bad about it and wanted to try and fix it up but now I am thinking that I must be crazy and should let it rest in peace.

There are pics at the link below, if I do attempt to rehab it does anyone have some advice as to how to go about it? Help!

http://forum.purseblog.com/coach-sh...s-coach-694619-post22111884.html#post22111884

Last edited:
Finally got my first dose of color transfer :cry:

dark jeans and my light canvas men's tote...any suggestions? Since it is canvas and cotton mostly..safe for a quick spin in the washer?

I have heard that you can rub a white eraser on the bag to remove color transfer but I don't know if that works.

I have never washed a coach canvas bag but once sent a white linen bag through the washer twice without any problems, see the link below. The only issue was that it got wrinkled and I had to use a damp press cloth and a steam iron to press it.

http://forum.purseblog.com/coach/out-out-damned-spot-even-if-takes-2-a-692432.html

You might try washing it in the sink first to see if that takes care of the problem before resorting to the washer. Be sure to secure it in pilow case or lingerie bag if you do run it through the washer. You might want to take it out before the rinse cycle to reduce the wrinkling.

Again I have never washed a canvas bag but my only concern is that I once washed a white nylon hamptons bag and it developed yellow stains. I think that the adhesive on the suede trim bled during the washing process and caused the stains.

It's always a risk but it may be worth it to try and save your bag. After you clean it try spraying it with apple garde or other water repellent, it might help prevent color transfer a bit. Good luck!

Did you all hear the news about BeenBurned? She is being sued for damaging the reputation of an ebay vendor. It is going to cost her a lot of money in legal fees and she may have to pay damages if she loses the case! A defense fund has been set up and they are accepting paypal donations; see the info below.

...I'm sure everyone else appreciates the thanks and good thoughts too, especially BeenBurned. No, she's not sick, just taking some time off to concentrate on "other matters" which I'm sure most of you are familiar with. It's upsetting to all of us that someone who's given so unselfishly of her time and her knowledge to the members here and at other boards and who has saved hundreds, if not thousands, of potential buyers from being cheated out of their hard-earned money, has to suffer this kind of baseless persecution...

And if any of you would like to help BeenBurned in a more tangible way, a defense fund has been set up for her to accept contributions through Paypal. She's NOT a rich woman by any means and like all of us, the recent economy has done some serious damage, and lawyers are still very expensive. If you can help out with any contribution no matter how large or small, please send a Paypal payment to:

[email protected]

There's more information and a Donate link here:

http://www.nancyburkelegalfund.org/

Last edited:
I have this bag that is in great condition except for a few wrinkles so I decided I would do just a quick dunk. The weird thing is that when I dunked, some areas didn't get soaked like there was possibly conditioner or something that was keeping the water from absorbing. So I am wondering if it is okay to leave it like this or do I need to soap it out if all I am trying to do is reshape the bag. What do you think?

What did you do? It's probably already half dry by now, judging by the time of this post. I probably would have suggested letting it soak a little longer to make sure it came out even, but I kind of doubt that you will have any problems either way.

I have this bag that is in great condition except for a few wrinkles so I decided I would do just a quick dunk. The weird thing is that when I dunked, some areas didn't get soaked like there was possibly conditioner or something that was keeping the water from absorbing. So I am wondering if it is okay to leave it like this or do I need to soap it out if all I am trying to do is reshape the bag. What do you think?

When I washed the cashin small shopper I noticed that it was not getting saturated with water evenly, see pics below, but I let it soak and it dried fine and came out looking even.
http://forum.purseblog.com/coach/proof-50-yr-old-lady-can-still-beautiful-742282-2.html#post21502581

What did you do? It's probably already half dry by now, judging by the time of this post. I probably would have suggested letting it soak a little longer to make sure it came out even, but I kind of doubt that you will have any problems either way.
I did let it soak a long time. I hadn't used much soap so there might have been conditioner resisting the water. What was weird is that it was in the center of the bag rather than the edges which would be the parts that would need more conditioner. When I removed it from the water, there were still a few lighter spots, but now that it is drying, it all looks the same color.

It is a bucket (duffle) bag so it is very hard to reshape. In order to get the sides flat, I have to lay it on its side to dry and then the bottom gets bulged out. I am hoping that the bottom will flatten out once it is dry.

Have a question for all of you rehabbers - sorry no picture this morning. I have a navy basic bag which I have owned since it was new - everything looks good except the zipper itself which looks faded - I have numerous navy bags with zippers and have never seen this on any other bag. I dunked the bag and used a soft tooth brush on the fabric of the zipper trying to see if it was a stain. I was wondering if anyone else had had this probloem and if so what if anything worked on it. Thank you.

I think the zippers on ALL of these old basic bags was blue and didn't necessarily match, so it might not be faded. It's probably more obvious since you've got blue on blue though.

What a cool bag!

I really like it. I can't believe it was "born" in '88 and is so clean, except for the ink spot. I also paid just a little over $20 for her so that's nice.

Great bag!! I just bought a spectator Court bag today too. As far as the smell goes I've heard of people using dryer sheets, or ground coffee in a sac, or even those little silica gel packets that come in shipping items. These might work taking out the old lady perfume smell w/ out having to dunk. Good luck! Looks beautiful;)

I saw that in the other thread-looks promising, I can't wait to see the afters! The perfume smell is almost gone, I checked it this morning and I have to stick my face in it to catch the smell. I may put her out again this weekend with some baking soda "sachet" inside. If that doesn't work I may get more aggressive.

Beautiful! I just filled my smoke smelling bag with Carpet Fresh.

I am wondering about the mirror - it sounded in the listing like it was originally part of the bag.

I think the seller was mistaken-it's just a little basic two sided mirror about the size of the palm of your hand. No frame around it, just glass. It does remind me of something you would get in a make up case, I have one that slides out and it's probably something like that.

I would put this in the "carried once, got left in the closet and picked up some marks and grandma's perfume" category. Too bad they didn't leave the strap nearby too.

Two really cool bags...love them both!

really love both bags....the Shoulder bag is really cute!!. The court is always so classy!

thanks! It totally works as a handle bag, and I could throw one of my not quite perfect straps inside as a back up. In the meantime I'm keeping my eyes open for a really cheap white bag that I can replace the straps with.

I did let it soak a long time. I hadn't used much soap so there might have been conditioner resisting the water. What was weird is that it was in the center of the bag rather than the edges which would be the parts that would need more conditioner. When I removed it from the water, there were still a few lighter spots, but now that it is drying, it all looks the same color.

It is a bucket (duffle) bag so it is very hard to reshape. In order to get the sides flat, I have to lay it on its side to dry and then the bottom gets bulged out. I am hoping that the bottom will flatten out once it is dry.

I overstuffed that red bucket bag that I recently rehabbed with towels while it was drying and it came out with a nice shape.

I have noticed that the cloth part of the zipper in some of my older bags sometimes looks faded. I have thought about touching the area up with acrylic paint but I've never tried it.

Hi everyone,

This is my husband's old coach briefcase that I've been meaning to donate - until I found this thread. I've read up on some members' methods for rehabbing old coach bags. Do you guys think this is restorable? It's pretty beat up and I'm willing to use it as an experimental bag for rehabbing. I'm not sure if I can bathe it though, it's structured and rather stiff. Any thoughts would be appreciated! :biggrin:

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 191
Status
Not open for further replies.