Coach in the news

1. Awesome! Thanks so much for posting!
  2. "Ubiquity can be the death of a brand."

Very true.
  3. Who here actually works for Coach -- do you think that coach has over extended itself?

Is the consumer dead too? Are people still shopping at the same pace at coach stores?

Department stores are all doom and gloom these days...

I personally always liked the actual store over the department store in terms of experience and selection, but its pretty unnerving.
  4. Over extended? In terms of appealing to a larger clientele?
    If so, then in my opinion, most definitely. I believe that Coach's affordability relative to other designer brands has led it to become the product of choice to consumers today in America. Outlets, off rack stores such as TJ Maxx and Loehmanns, have also allowed consumers to purchase Coach handbags at an even more affordable scale. Thus, as mentioned before, the "ubiquity" of Coach handbags may put Coach in peril in the future [not near future, hopefully] if they do not control the pervasiveness of their brand.
  5. This article was really interesting but I have to say that I do like the affordability factor of Coach as compared to some other brands. But more importantly, I love their designs so I would buy Coach even if I could afford other more expensive brands.
  6. This is such a tough one because Coach is sometimes looked down upon because it's affordable, but their bags are made so well and very stylish. My concern is that they're trying to appeal to everyone--factory outlets on the one end and high end brand competition with their $700+ dollar bags on the other.

Of course, this has worked for other people. Just look at the high end designers who create things for Target Izrah, etc. Also, I think Vera Wang just introduced a line for Kohl's. I think it can be done well but it won't be easy.

I'm rooting for 'em.
  7. Very interesting article. I have wondered for the past few years about Coach becoming too ubiquitous for its' own good. They've done the research and I doubt that they will fail in their expansion, but they may lose their original customer base (me) to gain another. There are already tons of people (just read some of the other brand forums here on tPF) who have moved onto other brands because "everybody wears Coach". Of course, Coach and it's investors love that everybody wears Coach. But to those of us who consider(ed) Coach special,'s beginning to feel less so. KWIM?

I guess we'll have to wait and see.
  8. I think it depends on where you live, as well. Coach is popular across the country, but if you live in a larger's most likely more prevalent. It's the most popular "expensive" bag brand around here, but I live in a very blue collar, middle-class area and it's what the richer folks can buy. I don't get sick of it because even though it's really the only designer bag brand that you see around here, it's still few and far between.
  9. I am glad you girls like the article
  10. Very interesting. Thanks for posting.