Coach Frequently Asked Questions {FAQ} & REFERENCE INFO

I can see it has been removed....I was listing it for a friend and should of authenticated first. She was very surprised. I'm assuming it is not authentic, right?

I din't see the listing so I can't answer that, but it was probably reported as a fake and removed.

BTW, this thread is not for authentications. Please use the Coach Shopping Forum - Authenticate This Coach for all questions about authenticity. If you want to repost photos of the bag in question there, feel free. But please be sure to read the first paragraph in each forum to see if there are rules about what can and can't be posted there.

I did not want it authenticated, just wanted to know the style which is why I asked in reference thread.

There's an ID This Coach Item thread that's Pinned right near the top of the forum for identification questions.

Like I suggested, read the first post, if there are Rules, that's where they'll be. The one for this thread says
"Hopefully this thread will be able to answer Coach's most frequently asked questions.
This will be a Reference only thread, no questions should be asked, but if there's anything missing, please post a reply, one of us will update this post w/ any new info."

Reference threads are usually for posting verified and useful general information, rather than for asking questions.

This is a question for you, ladies with extended knowledge of classical Coach bags.

I bought a pre-1994 City Bag on eBay. It's definitely authentic, although I was going to identify it here just in case. The condition is nearly new, however, there's a problem I didn't expect to encounter. The strap was altered, and I don't need to be a vintage Coach pro to see that it's not what it was supposed to be: the longer side is 24", the shorter 10". The description doesn't mention this alteration, however, if you read the measurements, it does have these numbers. Since I know what City Bag should be like, I didn't read the numbers. Now that I contacted the seller and wrote that I'd like to return the bag because of this alteration (plus, there're interior pen marks that are not mentioned in the description), she says the bag is the way she bought it (whatever that means), that she doesn't carry pens in her bags and that no returns are offered.

Does anyone have a catalog with description of this bag? That would help me to state my case for eBay dispute.

Thank you in advance!

P.S. I found the City Bag description online, and it says the strap is 44". However, that description is not from the present Coach site, but from somebody's private blog. I'm not sure that would do for eBay dispute.

Last edited:
I also found a photo of the bag along with the description and measurements from Coach site archive on the web. I hope that would be enough to win the dispute - along with a picture of the interior pen marks. city bag coach archive photo.png

I also found a photo of the bag along with the description and measurements from Coach site archive on the web. I hope that would be enough to win the dispute - along with a picture of the interior pen marks. View attachment 3515080

The bag you posted a photo of is from just a few years ago, don't even think about using it to prove your case. Did you look at the date?

Rather than making us go through all your posts, please post the link to the post in the forum here where you had your bag authenticated, and a link to the original Ebay listing. Once I know when it was made, I can find a catalog photo from the same time period. If the listing no longer exists, post photos of the actual bag including the strap ends and mountings IF those areas aren't shown in the original photos..And whether or not you think you know a style, you should ALWAYS read the description and study the photos carefully

BTW, you should have probably posted in the Authenticate This Coach thread or in the Vintage Photos and Chat thread. Always double-check the first post in a thread to see if there are any restrictions on what can be posted there,
"Hopefully this thread will be able to answer Coach's most frequently asked questions.
This will be a Reference only thread, no questions should be asked, but if there's anything missing, please post a reply, one of us will update this post w/ any new info."

Last edited:
The bag you posted a photo of is from just a few years ago, don't even think about using it to prove your case. Did you look at the date?

Rather than making us go through all your posts, please post the link to the post in the forum here where you had your bag authenticated, and a link to the original Ebay listing. Once I know when it was made, I can find a catalog photo from the same time period. If the listing no longer exists, post photos of the actual bag including the strap ends and mountings IF those areas aren't shown in the original photos..And whether or not you think you know a style, you should ALWAYS read the description and study the photos carefully

BTW, you should have probably posted in the Authenticate This Coach thread or in the Vintage Photos and Chat thread. Always double-check the first post in a thread to see if there are any restrictions on what can be posted there,

Thanks, Hyacinth, I wasn't sure myself about this thread as I see it's usually half-orphaned, but I thought this problem doesn't belong neither to Vintage Photos nor Authentication thread. Totally missed Vintage Chat!

The reason I used this recent site photo is the new version of the City Bag is a copy of the classic one. So I assume the measurements are all the same. That was the only factual info about this bag I could find online besides photos.

I don't have a clear picture of the creed, so I'll take it tomorrow morning and summarize the whole thing in the authentication thread.

Thanks, Hyacinth, I wasn't sure myself about this thread as I see it's usually half-orphaned, but I thought this problem doesn't belong neither to Vintage Photos nor Authentication thread. Totally missed Vintage Chat!

The reason I used this recent site photo is the new version of the City Bag is a copy of the classic one. So I assume the measurements are all the same. That was the only factual info about this bag I could find online besides photos.

I don't have a clear picture of the creed, so I'll take it tomorrow morning and summarize the whole thing in the authentication thread.

No, there are a lot of small changes between the true vintage bags and the new remakes, especially in things like strap length and other measurements. That's been mentioned in a lot of posts about the newer versions.

Can you post a link to the listing? When did you buy it?

No, there are a lot of small changes between the true vintage bags and the new remakes, especially in things like strap length and other measurements. That's been mentioned in a lot of posts about the newer versions.

Can you post a link to the listing? When did you buy it?

Hi Hyacinth, I just received the full refund from the seller, and apparently she doesn't want the bag back as (I think) it doesn't make any sense to pay another shipping fee for the bag she wouldn't be able to sell well. I understand that she most likely bought the bag privately without knowledge of shortened strap, but I pointed out that it doesn't change the fact that I received it not the way it was originally made by Coach. I suggested if she doesn't agree, we can wait for eBay's decision on the dispute. So this morning she sent me full refund without any comments.

Do you still want me to post the whole story under Authentication?

Hi Hyacinth, I just received the full refund from the seller, and apparently she doesn't want the bag back as (I think) it doesn't make any sense to pay another shipping fee for the bag she wouldn't be able to sell well. I understand that she most likely bought the bag privately without knowledge of shortened strap, but I pointed out that it doesn't change the fact that I received it not the way it was originally made by Coach. I suggested if she doesn't agree, we can wait for eBay's decision on the dispute. So this morning she sent me full refund without any comments.

Do you still want me to post the whole story under Authentication?

I'd like to at least see a link to the listing.

You CAN'T expect every seller to know what the original strap length of a 20-year old bag is unless they're the original owner. There's nowhere to go to find that information. You were only able to find a catalog page for a 20-years newer remake and you probably have a lot more experience researching Coach bags than she does. How would someone who's not a Coach expert and doesn't have 40 or 50 catalogs at her fingertips know what the strap length was for every year of production, especially when there's NO information on the internet that goes back that far? And keep in mind that in the 70s and 80s, many Coach bags were available with TWO different lengths including a 36-inch, with the option of choosing one or the other, so buyers of vintage bags should always check the strap length. We've also mentioned before that many older bags had the strap shortened by the owners when fashions changed. - another reason to always check the strap condition and measurement

I'm glad the seller sent a refund, but if there's no obvious sign of the strap being shortened or replaced and she gave the correct length or drop in the listing, she had no obligation under Ebay rules to refund your money as long as the bag was "as described".

Last edited:
I'd like to at least see a link to the listing.

You CAN'T expect every seller to know what the original strap length of a 20-year old bag is unless they're the original owner. There's nowhere to go to find that information. You were only able to find a catalog page for a 20-years newer remake and you probably have a lot more experience researching Coach bags than she does. How would someone who's not a Coach expert and doesn't have 40 or 50 catalogs at her fingertips know what the strap length was for every year of production, especially when there's NO information on the internet that goes back that far? And keep in mind that in the 70s and 80s, many Coach bags were available with TWO different lengths including a 36-inch, with the option of choosing one or the other, so buyers of vintage bags should always check the strap length. We've also mentioned before that many older bags had the strap shortened by the owners when fashions changed. - another reason to always check the strap condition and measurement

I'm glad the seller sent a refund, but if there's no obvious sign of the strap being shortened or replaced and she gave the correct length or drop in the listing, she had no obligation under Ebay rules to refund your money as long as the bag was "as described".

I understand most people are not experts, however, if you didn't buy the bag from the authorized dealer, you can't insist no alterations have been done. And that was exactly the seller's attitude. Even after I sent her the close up photos of the strap that shows visible signs of dried brown glue and holes from the removed original stitches plus interior pen marks ("I do not carry pens in my bags"). Besides, the bag is not exactly unique, there're tons of vintage city bags on eBay, and if you want to prove the bag is in its initial state, it's easy to compare it against dozens that all show different measurements from yours. I've sold on eBay many times and I know how it's done - sometimes you just have to swallow the losses even if you personally are not guilty.

Here's the eBay link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pristine-Vintage-beige-COACH-leather-bag-/122209443417? ssPageName=ADME:X:RRNTB:US:3160

IMGP1262.JPG IMGP1263.JPG IMGP1264.JPG

I understand most people are not experts, however, if you didn't buy the bag from the authorized dealer, you can't insist no alterations have been done. And that was exactly the seller's attitude. Even after I sent her the close up photos of the strap that shows visible signs of dried brown glue and holes from the removed original stitches plus interior pen marks ("I do not carry pens in my bags"). Besides, the bag is not exactly unique, there're tons of vintage city bags on eBay, and if you want to prove the bag is in its initial state, it's easy to compare it against dozens that all show different measurements from yours. I've sold on eBay many times and I know how it's done - sometimes you just have to swallow the losses even if you personally are not guilty.

Here's the eBay link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pristine-Vintage-beige-COACH-leather-bag-/122209443417? ssPageName=ADME:X:RRNTB:US:3160

View attachment 3516534 View attachment 3516535 View attachment 3516537

Hindsight's always 20-20, but if any of the regular Coach authenticators here had looked at the bag, we would have seen the problem with the strap right away and pointed it out. The buckle end is too short, visibly chopped up and resewn. But the measurements are right in the listing. To go strictly by Ebay rules, the bag wouldn't have been considered SNAD becase the photos and measurements show the details.

You got lucky this time. Other sellers might have decided to fight a SNAD claim, and the facts and photos in the listing would be on their side. From now on, either have the bag authenticated here, or read the listing TWICE top to bottom and look over the photos with a magnifying glass before you bid. You weren't careful and next time it could cost you.

Compare this photo from the listing to any genuine City Bag listing on Ebay, the strap proportions are wrong. Below it is the City Bag catalog page from Fall 1989

:

Attachments

• catthecurious_too-short-strap.jpg
    catthecurious_too-short-strap.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 237
  • 9790_City Bag_Fall 1989.jpg
    9790_City Bag_Fall 1989.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
Hindsight's always 20-20, but if any of the regular Coach authenticators here had looked at the bag, we would have seen the problem with the strap right away and pointed it out. The buckle end is too short, visibly chopped up and resewn. But the measurements are right in the listing. To go strictly by Ebay rules, the bag wouldn't have been considered SNAD becase the photos and measurements show the details.

You got lucky this time. Other sellers might have decided to fight a SNAD claim, and the facts and photos in the listing would be on their side. From now on, either have the bag authenticated here, or read the listing TWICE top to bottom and look over the photos with a magnifying glass before you bid. You weren't careful and next time it could cost you.

Compare this photo from the listing to any genuine City Bag listing on Ebay, the strap proportions are wrong. Below it is the City Bag catalog page from Fall 1989

:

How about the pen marks she fought so aggressively, plus the glue and sloppy stitches that were neither shown nor mentioned? I agree the measurements were correct, but that was confusing since usually sellers and even Coach website in description of the modern version of the bag stick with measuring the strap drop which in this case is nearly the same. If strap length was the only issue, I wouldn't have fought it since as a seller of nearly 17 years myself I always think about their side of the story. As for authentication, I agree I rushed this time. My sister has always wanted this bag in light color, so I was preoccupied with the idea of getting a Christmas present for her just on time.