CNN Article - Weight loss is all in your head

1. What about people with scrambled quadrants? I think I may be one of those. Maybe that's why I've been trying to lose the same 7-15 pounds for 6 months.

2. Not sure, Shimma - Sometimes I think my quadrants are scrambled :p

I found this part of the article especially true, based on personal experience.

I went through this same transformation three years ago. My "coach" was my mom, who had lost 60 lbs. ten years before. I separated from my old environment of heavy drinking (heh, not so much anymore :p), late nights hitting fast food joints and being lazy about exercise.

Just an interesting health read that I came across! :yes:

3. Interesting. I must admit, the "B" type they describe sounds a lot like me. People always ask me where my willpower when it comes to eating and keeping up an exercise routine comes from, and I am always hard pressed to answer. I also must say that the part Christina quoted is true. I never thought it would happen, but my weight wasn't the only thing about me that changed. People who have known me a while say I am a completely different person. I chalk up it up to self-esteem and a sense of accomplishment. Accomplishing this one goal has given me the drive to pursue other goals like getting my degree. I am proud of my 4.0 GPA! I also take a lot more interest in my appearance. People have noted that I just seem more upbeat and happy in general. It truly is like a transformation.

Totally off-topic, but welcome back, ShimmaPuff! We missed you here! :dothewave:

4. Wow what an interesting article! My focus at school is cognitive science and I'm always interested in how the brain plays a role in our everyday thinking. I actually took this personality test as part of a program for work, they had the quadrants labled with colors. My green (C) and blue (B) types were just about equal - I had more blue though.

I definitely think if you're organized and prepared it's much easier to stick with a diet routine. I did very well back a few years ago when I was able to stick with my routine. My problem now is finding the "me" time to reflect and relax - I think that element will help me get back on track.

5. Thank you ArmCandyLuvr! I can relate to a lot of what you say. My big weight loss (55 lbs) launched me into something of a second fashion adolescence!

For the first time in years, I could pay attention to factors beyond the question of whether a garment's tag contained enough Xs to fit me (I'm 5'2" and a bit).

And this is one of the reasons that the pounds I gained back during last winter's illness bother me so much!

6. You're welcome. I know what you mean about clothes. I've been buying stuff left and right. I guess I am making up for all those times I was stuck buying overpriced, tent-sized shirts from Lane Bryant. I have to admit that shopping at a store like Gap that doesn't even carry plus sizes holds a certain novelty for me. I go in there and try on all the skinny jeans just because I can! :p

7. That is a really great read. I agree though, weight loss is in your head many times.

I am more of a B, which makes sense. I went through a weight loss over 3 years of 50 lbs. It is crazy to even think of that now, but I put on a TON of weight REALLY quick and then it took me much longer to lose it. But I have kept it off very well (although I need to re-lose the last few pounds! :amuse:)

8. interesting article :tup:. i believe i'm "A" & "B" type and maybe that's why i even analyze what i cook too :p. it's so easy to gain weight and feel absolutely terrible with all the tight restraining clothes. for me i realise the easiest way to lose weight is eating at home, cooking balance meals, occasional treats, and don't think about the weight number too much. somehow weight seems to drop faster and last longer when it's done subconsciously.

9. What is up with that? This does not seem to be a rare phenomenon. In fact, of the women I know who have lost significant amounts of weight, almost ALL of us have gained some of it back and are going nuts trying to get rid of it!

If we can lose such huge amounts, why is it that 5-10-15 lbs, depending on the person, or in my case, depending on the week, just moves its stuff in and resists all manner of eviction notices?

10. ^^^ I think men have the same problem. I know my boyfriend does. He managed to lose 30 pounds, but his weight sort of fluctuates from week-to-week give or take 5 pounds or so.