CND Vinylux One Week Nail Polish

I swear I wrote up my review like 2 weeks ago but apparently didn't actually hit submit.

I bought 3 colors, the Purple Purple, Black Pool and Red Baroness. And of course I got the top coat. I wanted to test it on a couple of people to see how well it really works. I chose my mother and my co-worker. I chose them because I know they are not polish pickers (which would kind of ruin the point of testing how long it lasts) and because they have different levels of finger use. Also neither of them regularly wear polish so they both have nails and cuticles that are in excellent condition.

I'll start with my mom. I used the Red Baroness on both her toes and her finger nails. The toes lasted great, as it does with any other nail polish. No real difference. She got her first chip on the 3rd day and by the 5th day, every nail was chipped and she took it off. She doesn't do much with her hands really, washes a few dishes a day and maybe 2 loads of laundry a week. She didn't do any real cleaning while wearing the polish (like scrubbing toilets and such).

Next is my co-worker. I used Purple Purple on her nails. She got her first chip the very next day. By the 3rd day she had chips on half the nails. She spends most of her time at work typing and with 3 kids (including a baby), she is pretty hard on her hands.

Now for me. I did Purple Purple on my toes. Lasted like any other polish does, I never have a problem with polish on my toes.

First I did Red Baroness on my nails. Did it exactly how they want you to. No base coat, 2 coats of color, 1 coat of top coat. I do type a lot at work (I am in IT) but I wouldn't say I am hard on my hands. I can get regular 'ol nail polish (even "cheapies" like Sinful Color's) to go at least 4 days without chipping, usually 5-7. This lasted me 3 days. It was perfect the day I did them and the following day, but when I got out of the shower on the 3rd day 4 of my nails were chipped. I took it off that night.

Next I did the Black Pool. This time a little different. I didn't use a base coat, I used 2 coats of color and 1 coat of top coat. I waited 15 minutes (though it really does dry in 8 minutes like they say which is nice) and I put on a coat of Ozotic effect polish and then a coat of Seche.

Same thing happened. On the 3 day I had my first chip. On the fifth day all nails but my two pinkie nails were chipped. Some were minor, some bigger, but all were actual chips and not just tip wear.

All in all, I really can't recommend the polish unless you just really like the color. I am keeping Red Baroness simply because I love the color (I'd get the Shellac but it won't cure in my 18g LED) but I'll probably swap the other two.

For me, it doesn't even last as long as RNP so it's just not worth $14+. Also I have to say, it is a huge PITA to get off. Harder than even my glitter bomb indies. I found that to be really annoying.

ETA - I forgot to mention that none of the colors stained for any of us (me, my mother or my co-worker). I know that was a big question people had about this due to not using a base coat. I also didn't notice any damage at all of any of us.

So, what's the verdict after a couple of weeks?

I still haven't put my order in. :P Somehow I though this would make bigger waves on the blogs, forums, etc?!

Any input on the TC over regular NP? :shame:

I haven't tried the Vinylux Top Coat over regular nail polish, honestly I didn't even think to! But it's an interesting idea and I wouldn't mind giving it a shot and let you guys know how it turns out.

I'll also try to remember to use the whole system but with a base coat and see if that helps it last longer.

My verdict is that Vinylux is a bit better than regular nail polish, but nowhere close to a gel polish. It does dry quickly, but that also means you have to work it quickly. It chipped after three days (two is my usual for regular nail polish), It doesn't self level and ridges really show. But for touch ups, pedis, etc, I've wanted matching polish for the Shellac line for ages, and this fits the bill. I see it more as an accessory to Shellac than an independent product. While regular polish wearers might switch to it, I don't think you'll see people deserting Shellac or any other gel polish for Vinylux.

Now if CND Shellac would just hurry up with the LED cure, it might get back in the race.

I pretty much agree with everything here, except the better than RNP part simply because for me it wasn't.

But it does dry quickly which would be nice if you need one of those real quick and out the door fast mani's.

I don't have ridges and neither does my co-worker, but my mom does and I didn't notice it really. But her's are not bad at all, just 1 ridge on each of her middle fingers. I can see how they would show up with lighter color's though, just by the feel of the formula. And it doesn't self level at all, completely agree there.

I think NancyG's statement that it is an "accessory to Shellac" is a perfect description. If you use Shellac and need something for minor touchups, these would be perfect. But for full mani's, I just can't see the justification in the cost.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reviews! :flowers: :kiss:

I'm afraid this just isn't what I'm looking for then. :Push: Most RNP last 2-3 days on my, so it doesn't really sound that much of an improvement. I've just recently started to get into SOGs and with those I get about 2 weeks of wear and they fit my needs just perfectly. Now I have over 300 RBPs at home which don't get any love anymore due to the staying power, I was hoping the TC over a regular NP would maybe change that. :P

Thanks for the reviews! :flowers: :kiss:

I'm afraid this just isn't what I'm looking for then. :Push: Most RNP last 2-3 days on my, so it doesn't really sound that much of an improvement. I've just recently started to get into SOGs and with those I get about 2 weeks of wear and they fit my needs just perfectly. Now I have over 300 RBPs at home which don't get any love anymore due to the staying power, I was hoping the TC over a regular NP would maybe change that. :P

Have you tried a "gelly sandwich?" That's rnp sandwiched between gel polish base and top coat. Many people here have done it successfully. The key to success seems to be allowing the rnp to dry thoroughly, even overnight, before applying the gel polish top coat. The other option is the layer rnp on top of your SOGP. Try doing a complete SOGP mani using a sheer pink SOGP, then layer your rnp and top coat. You won't get the two weeks wear of a gel polish, but a week is definitely doable. The nice thing is that you get to use what you already have - rnp and gel base and top coats.

I swear I wrote up my review like 2 weeks ago but apparently didn't actually hit submit.

I bought 3 colors, the Purple Purple, Black Pool and Red Baroness. And of course I got the top coat. I wanted to test it on a couple of people to see how well it really works. I chose my mother and my co-worker. I chose them because I know they are not polish pickers (which would kind of ruin the point of testing how long it lasts) and because they have different levels of finger use. Also neither of them regularly wear polish so they both have nails and cuticles that are in excellent condition.

I'll start with my mom. I used the Red Baroness on both her toes and her finger nails. The toes lasted great, as it does with any other nail polish. No real difference. She got her first chip on the 3rd day and by the 5th day, every nail was chipped and she took it off. She doesn't do much with her hands really, washes a few dishes a day and maybe 2 loads of laundry a week. She didn't do any real cleaning while wearing the polish (like scrubbing toilets and such).

Next is my co-worker. I used Purple Purple on her nails. She got her first chip the very next day. By the 3rd day she had chips on half the nails. She spends most of her time at work typing and with 3 kids (including a baby), she is pretty hard on her hands.

Now for me. I did Purple Purple on my toes. Lasted like any other polish does, I never have a problem with polish on my toes.

First I did Red Baroness on my nails. Did it exactly how they want you to. No base coat, 2 coats of color, 1 coat of top coat. I do type a lot at work (I am in IT) but I wouldn't say I am hard on my hands. I can get regular 'ol nail polish (even "cheapies" like Sinful Color's) to go at least 4 days without chipping, usually 5-7. This lasted me 3 days. It was perfect the day I did them and the following day, but when I got out of the shower on the 3rd day 4 of my nails were chipped. I took it off that night.

Next I did the Black Pool. This time a little different. I didn't use a base coat, I used 2 coats of color and 1 coat of top coat. I waited 15 minutes (though it really does dry in 8 minutes like they say which is nice) and I put on a coat of Ozotic effect polish and then a coat of Seche.

Same thing happened. On the 3 day I had my first chip. On the fifth day all nails but my two pinkie nails were chipped. Some were minor, some bigger, but all were actual chips and not just tip wear.

All in all, I really can't recommend the polish unless you just really like the color. I am keeping Red Baroness simply because I love the color (I'd get the Shellac but it won't cure in my 18g LED) but I'll probably swap the other two.

For me, it doesn't even last as long as RNP so it's just not worth $14+. Also I have to say, it is a huge PITA to get off. Harder than even my glitter bomb indies. I found that to be really annoying.

ETA - I forgot to mention that none of the colors stained for any of us (me, my mother or my co-worker). I know that was a big question people had about this due to not using a base coat. I also didn't notice any damage at all of any of us.

I haven't tried the Vinylux Top Coat over regular nail polish, honestly I didn't even think to! But it's an interesting idea and I wouldn't mind giving it a shot and let you guys know how it turns out.

I'll also try to remember to use the whole system but with a base coat and see if that helps it last longer.

I pretty much agree with everything here, except the better than RNP part simply because for me it wasn't.

But it does dry quickly which would be nice if you need one of those real quick and out the door fast mani's.

I don't have ridges and neither does my co-worker, but my mom does and I didn't notice it really. But her's are not bad at all, just 1 ridge on each of her middle fingers. I can see how they would show up with lighter color's though, just by the feel of the formula. And it doesn't self level at all, completely agree there.

I think NancyG's statement that it is an "accessory to Shellac" is a perfect description. If you use Shellac and need something for minor touchups, these would be perfect. But for full mani's, I just can't see the justification in the cost.

Thanks for taking the time to review! My friend that is interested in Vinylux types a lot at work so not sure this is what she's looking for.

Have you tried a "gelly sandwich?" That's rnp sandwiched between gel polish base and top coat. Many people here have done it successfully. The key to success seems to be allowing the rnp to dry thoroughly, even overnight, before applying the gel polish top coat. The other option is the layer rnp on top of your SOGP. Try doing a complete SOGP mani using a sheer pink SOGP, then layer your rnp and top coat. You won't get the two weeks wear of a gel polish, but a week is definitely doable. The nice thing is that you get to use what you already have - rnp and gel base and top coats.

Yeah, I've read about that. :smile: I'll do some experimenting with that once I have some time off. This sounds like a great way. :yes: Thanks!

Has anyone tried doing an SOG topcoat over a Vinylux mani? I am thinking of doing a complete SOG mani, then apply the Vinylux as directed on top of that, then apply another coat of an SOG TC on top of that after the Vinylux has dried thoroughly.The Vinylux just looks so much better on my nails over a smooth surface, and I need the strength an SOG mani gives my nails. Plus I am going to a wedding and that Gilded Pleasures would look great with my dress!

I just tried this polish last week and it lasted for the whole week. On the second day I had to cut my nails shorter because of my previous use of gel polish from a salon they were getting brittle and splitting on the sides, even after cutting them the did not chip. The only thing that happened was that I was moving boxes at work and chipped one nail so I took it off. I was told where I bought it that you can wear the topcoat with regular polish so I will try that this week. The main thing that I like about this polish was no soak off with acetone.

Last week I used a China Glaze polish with CND Vinylux top coat and it lasted 4 days until tip wear. This week I am wearing Lilac Longing a purple cream, will see how long it lasts. I love this new polish, no long soak off.

I painted my nails with CND Vinylux on saturday and it's still in pretty good shape today! There is tip wear but no chipping. I could probably file my nails down and it would not be noticeable.

The only thing I did notice was that the polish gets kind of goopy fast. Does anyone know if I can add a thinner to it without affecting the polish?

I have a Vinylux Manicure booked for before I go on holiday in a few weeks. I've always been a nailbiter and over the last few months I've managed to grow my nails and get them to the stage where I can get a professional manicure done. I decided to go for this option as it seems to last longer than normal polish but isn't as hard going as gel polishes - I can't quite warm to these as gel extensions have always softened my nails and I can't help thinking that the gel polishes have the same effect (I could be very wrong tho, I don't have much expperience with them).

What are your opinions on this as an option for a first manicure? I'll be visiting my mum when I travel and I want to surprise her with my long nails (she has no idea I've managed to grow them)

TIA xx

I have a Vinylux Manicure booked for before I go on holiday in a few weeks. I've always been a nailbiter and over the last few months I've managed to grow my nails and get them to the stage where I can get a professional manicure done. I decided to go for this option as it seems to last longer than normal polish but isn't as hard going as gel polishes - I can't quite warm to these as gel extensions have always softened my nails and I can't help thinking that the gel polishes have the same effect (I could be very wrong tho, I don't have much expperience with them).

What are your opinions on this as an option for a first manicure? I'll be visiting my mum when I travel and I want to surprise her with my long nails (she has no idea I've managed to grow them)

TIA xx

Hi scottishdoll: congrats on growing your nails. I have just recently within the past 5 months taken off acrylics that I had on for about 7 yrs, I have been using Vinylux polish since it came out. If I wear a pink or light color I can go over a week close to 2 before it really starts looking like I need to redo. I had a really dark color on a couple of times and it was on for 9 days and still looked presentable. If you decide I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. And enjoy your holiday with your mum.
Safe travels.
Peace

Hi scottishdoll: congrats on growing your nails. I have just recently within the past 5 months taken off acrylics that I had on for about 7 yrs, I have been using Vinylux polish since it came out. If I wear a pink or light color I can go over a week close to 2 before it really starts looking like I need to redo. I had a really dark color on a couple of times and it was on for 9 days and still looked presentable. If you decide I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. And enjoy your holiday with your mum.
Safe travels.
Peace

Thansk Angel love, I've tried to stop biting lots of times but never quite managed it. When I was on a business trip in April, I was so busy I just got out of the habit of biting and have pretty much remained nibble free since then - it's only taken 32 years.........................................

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1379000465.296188.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1379000480.261319.jpg

"Sugar spice" one week out on long, natural nails (my ultimate test). Two coats of colour, and one coat of topcoat. A bit of tip wear, but no chipping. I'm impressed enough that I will try more colours, although I'm afraid of darker colours staining without a base coat. Can anyone comment on staining issues?

View attachment 2330403View attachment 2330404

"Sugar spice" one week out on long, natural nails (my ultimate test). Two coats of colour, and one coat of topcoat. A bit of tip wear, but no chipping. I'm impressed enough that I will try more colours, although I'm afraid of darker colours staining without a base coat. Can anyone comment on staining issues?

Hi bem3231 I have that color also and I can comment on staining, I use a base before I polish, I know they say you don't have to but I have some ridges and I like to minimize them. When I used masquerade which is a dark plum I didn't use a base coat and they did not stain. I am getting ready to run out to the hairdresser for a much need haircut I will post a pic of that color later.

Using the base coat has not changed the performance.

Peace