Cleaning Scarves

1. I am about to cry. I was just folding my favorite scarf to put it away and saw that it has a stain on it. I do not know where it came from, I am usually very careful, and I don't know what to do. I have heard that it is not good to send your scarves to the dry cleaners. Can anyone tell me how to clean my scarf? I am so upset about this.

2. Handwash with cold water and some mild soap, let drip dry. Use a low heat iron press and avoid iorning the hems! They have to stay round.

3. Call your boutique. Our store will send it out to a cleaner for customers. Or they may recommend a good one to you. Just be careful when picking a cleaner, most of them will smash those hems flat.

4. Yes, very true!!! I use woollite to clean everything.

5. Thank you Baggaholic , I ran upstairs immediately after you answered and cleaned my scarf with some Woolite. The stain is gone and the scarf seems OK. It is on a towel on the drying rack. Thank you again for your quick reply. :flowers:

Thank you too HG, I am so impatient I wouldn't have been able wait for the store to open tomorrow. I would be awake all night thinking about that stain.

6. I'm glad I could help!!.

Let me give you some advise, try not to wear your scarf when it rains, I've read that it can damage the scarf.

7. I'm not sure they recommend that you wash Hermes silk. I had a card in my Hermes scarf box that said that you should not wash or get the scarf wet, and to dry clean it.

Also, I have a ten year old Hermes scarf that has been dry cleaned about 4 times and it looks almost new.

8. Hermes actually used to do rain proof scarves - can you imagine???

Bagg is right, rain will damage the silk scarves - I send mint to a dry cleaner recommended by the boutique - they don't press the hems, and they put the "folds" back in exactly (important if you're collecting AND using them!!).

I'm dreading wearing my new white H scarf - imagine what makeup will look like on THAT - UGH!!!!!

9. I asked my SA and she said handwashing was okay as long as it wasn't in the washer.

10. I reckon handwashing is probably more gentle than dry-cleaning.

11. I was wondering the exact same thing - didn't want to send them to the dry cleaners and my SA said to.

I think Kristie's exactly right - hand washing is probably less caustic than dry cleaning. They probably just suggest it to avoid liability - good to know someone's had good luck washing them - maybe I won't be scared to wear them after all!

12. style - you've got to wear them!! they're works of art!!!!

13. LOL - but I'm scared to! They're so pretty just sitting there - I liked the "framing" thread idea a few days ago. WEAR them? That's just crazy talk!:nuts:

Just kidding.......(maybe)....... but are you going to wear your new white H one? One nice gust of wind = lipgloss.......... (sorry;))

14. You're absolutely right, but I'm willing to risk it.........!!

15. I sent mine to my drycleaner's but she didn't iron the hems back in, which I need to ask of her the next time.

I think you can either dry clean them or handwash them with gentle soap and flat dry them.