Cleaning L.L. Bean canvas tote?

1. Hi ladies,

I have a white x-large LL Bean tote with navy handles. It says NOT to machine wash, spot-clean only. The problem is, the whole thing is so dirty! I don't want to dry-clean it because it'll probably be almost as much as the bag itself.

Any advice? Is it really bad if I just hand-wash it in cold water with detergent?

Thanks!

2. I have an LL Bean tote. I put it in the washing maching with warm temp water. It came clean but a little wrinkled. So I put it in the dryer for about 10 minutes, enought time for it to spin the bag around and make it hot (heat up the fabric).

I then took it out of the dryer, stuffed it with dry towels (to keep it's shape), and it cleaned it and it looked fine.

Rai

3. I think you could machine wash it, but I would use cold water to keep the colors from running. L.L. Bean stuff lasts forever, no matter WHAT you do to it!

4. Intlset, I have the same bag w/ the same color combo. mIne is my beach bag and it got so filthy also!! The undersides of the handles are so grungy. It's sad b/c the bag itself is fine, it's just filthy!

5. Thanks, guys! I'm going to just try putting it in the washer.

6. An other experiences with machine washing? Mine is so dirty!!

7. I have always put mine in the washing machine without any trouble. Someone suggested putting towels in them to keep their shape while drying, probably a good idea.

8. I have many of these bags and I used to throw them in the washer - but I have decided that I cannot live with the wrinkles afterwards. So next time I am going to just use some soapy water and a scrub brush.

9. I would go with a hand-wash treatment in gentle detergent, just to be on the safe side. And then possibly place it it the dryer or dry naturally. I only have the one canvas bag, which is a Marc Jacobs canvas and leather. I've had it for years and it's still in great condition. I spot-clean it and it seems to attract very little dirt. Because of the gorgeous lining and the fact that it has bag-charms attached I'd be reluctant to machine-wash it.

10. I've done the washer & dryer and it came out fine. Next time though I'll probably try stuffing it with towels.