Books & Music Classical Music?

Caitlin, that is truly amazing. That is an awe inspiring work. Which recording? There is one in particualr that is perfect, I think it might beby th Thomas Tallis scholars. I'll check it out tomorrow. You are right about chills, gets me every time. Thanks for this thread!

I am a professional classical musician as some of you know already. Myfavorites to play versus listen to vary drastically. I love Brahms, all Brahms. The symphonies, the songs, requiem, piano concerto (d minor) chamber music, sonatas.... Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Shostakovitch, Mendellsohn, Strauss (R), Many composers I like only certain pieces. I could go on and on.

If you want to hear something glorious, I'd suggest R. Strauss, the Four Last Songs. The ONLY recording out there that is worthy is by Jessye Norman, made in the 80's at her prime, I believe with the Vienna Phil. It has been re released. The cover pic, she has an afro, in case that is helpful in finding the correct recording. I'll search for a link in a sec. It is out of this world, the music plus her powerful voice....omg.
edit: here is an amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cu...961250?ie=UTF8&n=5174&s=music#customerReviews

Another beauty to listen to, is Mahler Sym. no. 5 adagio. So amazing.

I'll post another message with a list of my favorites, including some more challenging and rare listening in case anyone is interested.

Thanks again, Caitlin, you made my day. :heart:

Yes yes YES how could I forget? The Tallis Scholars' performance of Miserere is likely one of the best recordings of all time. I get chills just typing about it.

If you want to get ready for Christmas, "christmas with the Tallis Scholars" is an amazing CD and well worth adding to your collection. :wlae::jammin:

big fan here too. have more of the well known pieces and some not so well known:

holst - the planets
rossini (barber of seville, thieving magpie)
vivaldi - four seasons
all the strauss waltzes
handel - water music
pachabel canon in D
all things bach, shubert, chopin, mozart, bizet
yada yada yada....I could go on.

I bought the Marie Antoinette soundtrack just to get Vivaldi's Concerto in G for my ipod.

After that, I made it a point to get The Four Seasons. I don't have all of them, just the movements I particularly like.

Not that there was anything wrong with the other ones. I just chose the ones that make me sit back, close my eyes and go "mmmmm . . . "

I absolutely love classical music and I am a classically trained singer (mostly lieder/songs and opera). I have a massive collection of CDs. And I just can't seem to stop collecting composers from all over the world.

I also can't keep myself from recommending 5 of my absolutely favorite pieces (but I must admit that I have a lot of absolutely favorite pieces -- too much good music): (1) Berlioz's Symphonie Fantasique; (2) Berlioz's Grand Messe des Morts; (3) Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 6 ("Pathetique") (so sad, esp. the end, but so gorgeous); and (4-5) Mahler's 1st Symphony ("Titan") and 2nd Symphony ("Resurrection") (the hero dies at the end of the first symphony and is resurrected in the 2nd).

I love these pieces! You (probably) wouldn't regret listening to these...

Oh oh, the Tchaik 6 is my all-time favorite symphony - totally heartbreaking. I also love the Beethoven 7, for the dirge.

Shostikovich, Mahler, Ginestera, Verdi, PROKOFIEV...all fabulous composers, if you enjoy beyond the "Canon in D" ilk.

Favorite violin pieces: Tzigane by Ravel, Sibelius violin concerto

:love:

I'm resurrecting this thread because I just discovered how wonderful opera music is.

The only opera I was familiar with is Mozart's The Magic Flute.

I mentioned Der Hölle Rache earlier but now I've got the Overture as well as Papageno! Papagena!

I've also got the Overture and Habanera from Bizet's Carmen.

Sometimes I catch myself humming "L'amour! l'amour!" part.

From Puccini's Madame Butterfly, I've got Un bel di vedremo.

I first heard about this piece from Coupling. Sally always wanted her first kiss to be this piece. When the time came for The Big Kiss the guy couldn't remember the name of this one so he played the theme song to Spiderman.

Last edited:
I'm a noob (lol) when it comes to classical music. Most teenagers don't have any interest in it, so it's nice to see a thread here! :smile:

As of now my favorites are:

Nocturne No. 2 in E-Flat Major - Chopin
Moonlight Sonata - Beethoven
Allegro con spirito - Mozart
Molto allegro - Mozart
Hungarian Dance - Brahms
Brandenburg Concerto No. 3 in G-Major - Bach

It's a pretty basic list right now.

The "Mozart For Your Mind" CD is great, but I often find myself not concentrating on my homework, but on the music! Same goes for sleeping; some fall asleep listening to classical, but I prefer to be awake listening to it. :biggrin:

I love:

Yann Tiersen's La Valse D'Amélie [from Amélie]

Gosh, me too. I love that soundtrack.

I forgot to say the more contemporary classical that I like:

- Yann Tiersen is incredible... Amelie, Good Bye Lenin!, Les Retrouvailles, L'Absente, Le Phare, and every other album by him
- Dario Marianelli, especially the Atonement soundtrack. The typewriter infusion was pure genius.
- Yo-Yo Ma (might see him live over the summer!)
- Ryuichi Sakamoto; one of the only musical pieces that has made me cry just by listening to it is "The Wuthering Heights." Also loved Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence.

I love it! I got so excited when it occurred to me I could download classical music on my ipod.

Growing up, my dad would play Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata on the piano. My parents bought me a Mozart Classical Kids c.d. of The Magic Flute.

My favorites downloaded onto my ipod are (and I consider it a great accomplishment to find them):

Air on G-String by Bach

Cello Suite No. 1, Prelude by Bach

Canon in D by Pachelbel

Symphony No. 6 Allegro by Beethoven

Der Hölle Rache from The Magic Flute by Mozart

Air & Canon are among my favorites, as well. Have you ever listedned to Wyndham Hill's Bach variations? If not, you might like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Bach-Variations-Windham-Hill-Sampler/dp/B000000NKD

If you have (or get) this, please let me know what you think of the last song on the CD. I'll not ruin your interpretation by giving you mine.

- Yo-Yo Ma (might see him live over the summer!)

HAHAHAHA. I sounded really stupid last night cos there was a commercial for the new Hyundai Genesis Coupe during the Oscars, and I never told my friends that my nickname for Yo-Yo Ma is Yo Mama. So, when his song came on in the background during the commercial I yelled, "YO MAMA!" And my friends died.