Classic Movie Stars

1. Who do you think influenced style and fashion of today?

Audrey Hepburn perfected the capri pants and ballet slippers look. Her dress in Breakfast At Tiffany's was the perfect Little Black Dress.

Coco Chanel accidentally made tanned skin popular. In 1923, she took a cruise from Paris to Cannes. Stepping off the yacht, she had a suntan because she had gotten too much sun. It was accidental, but the media took to it like she was making a fashion statement. I think it was Chanel that once said before leaving the house, take off one accessory. That way, you know you won't be overdressed.

Marilyn Monroe was sexy. She was once asked what she wore to bed, and she replied, "Chanel No. 5." She was the type of person who would look amazing in anything from evening gowns to jeans.
  2. Veronica Lake. She made hair hanging in your face sexy. (Her signature hairdo: long, wavy hair, hanging down one side of the face.) During World War II, that hairstyle caused so many factory accidents that the War Womenpower Commission asked Paramout Studios to come up with a new hairstyle. . . . The studio gave her a new updo. Then many women lost their hair trying to copy her platinum bleach job.

Marlene Dietrich. She was so particular about how she dressed, both on and off screen. It has been said that once a director of a Paris fashion house remade the lining of her jacket six times. Dietrich still wasn't satisfied. "Look, " she declared, "the film public is going to look at you and your legs. They're not going to notice a pleat on the right side of your bust. And if they do, the film will be a flop anyway." Dietrich replied, "Ah, but if, in twenty years' time, my daughter should supervise a reshowing of my films, she would notice the pleat and think Mother had lost her touch."
  3. Lucille Ball started off as a model before becoming an actress. Even during I Love Lucy, not only did she have this amazing impeccable comic timing, she was always so well-dressed. I remember watching reruns not only for the jokes, but to see what gorgeous outfits she was always wearing.

Lucy Ricardo was always well-dressed but she was never vain. She wanted a new dress or a new hat now and then, but she was never obsessed about her looks. (Even though she'd be completely justified in doing so.)

I remember this one particular episode where the Ricardos and the Mertzes webt to Paris. Lucy and Ethel wanted Fred and Ricky to buy them haute couture outfits. The men refuse, and Lucy goes on a hunger strike until Ricky gives in. Finally Ricky buys her the outfit. He discovers, however, that Ethel has been sneaking food to Lucy. To get back at both of them, the men take burlap sacks and feedbags and passes them off as original haute couture designs. The women are absolutely thrilled until they figure out what's going on and discard the 'outfits.' There's a great scene at the end where it's discovered that this Paris designer took Fred and Ricky's 'concept' and designed his own line. The Ricardos and the Mertzes are sitting outside a Paris cafe, watching women walk by in designer versions of the burlap sack and feedbag outfits!

There was another one where Lucy was eager to participate in a charity fashion show. (She'd get to keep the dress she was modelling.) She made the greatest effort to get ready for the show, including getting a tan. However, she stayed in the sun too long, so there's this memorable scene where she's scarlet red, walking stiffly and painfully down the catwalk, wearing a tweed dress.

She was once quoted as saying "The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly - and lie about your age."
  4. Dorothy Dandrige
    Audrey Hepburn
    Marilyn Monroe
    Grace Kelly
    Jean Harlow
    Katharine Hepburn
    Mae West
    Liz Taylor
    Jane Russell
    Sophia Lauren
  5. should this be in the celebrity section? [i could be wrong]
  6. Louise Brooks
    Greta Garbo
    Marlene Dietrich
    Brigitte Bardot
    Jean Seberg
    Catherine Deneuve
    Barbra Streisand
  7. I originally thought that, too, but this topic does have to do with fashion, so it's kind of judgement call.
  8. Frank Sinatra. Gucci loafers were his trademark. (He learned about fashion from working as a bellboy at the Savoy Hotel in London before World War I).

He once started screaming and swearing and ripped the phone out of the wall. Then he broke windows and set his office on fire. (The phone in his office at the Sands hotel in Vegas clashed with his new orange sweater).

Sinatra is the only guy I've heard of that could wear a white (or cream) tux without looking like a waiter.

Clark Gable. In the early '30s, most American guys wore sleevless undershirts (like a wife beater). Well, in It Happened One Night, Clark Gable took off his shirt and wasn't wearing anything underneath.
    This hasn't been proven, but it's been said that after that, sales in undershirts dropped about 75 percent. Guys were like, "If Clark Gable doesn't wear one, them I'm not going to, either." Apparently, it was only until the army made wearing undershirts a requirement did men go back to wearing them.
  9. Edith Head. (She wasn't an actress, but she was a brilliant costume designer.) She won the Oscar for her contribution to Roman Holiday. In her acceptance speech, she said she's going to take it home and design a dress for it.

She was once asked to provide a costume of work clothes for Ingrid Bergman. Rather than design anything, she got a shirt and an old pair of pants from an extra's wardrobe. The producer got mad and insisted that she design something. She then copied the design of the pants and shirt and then bleached them and dried them to make them look like originals.
  10. Clara Bow was the '20s It Girl. She was the original flapper and she made the bee stung lips look famous. (Hers were natural, though, no collogen).

Someone once said about her: "She danced, even when her feet were not moving."
  11. Katharine Hepburn, in my opinion, was the forebearer of the Ralph Lauren All American Woman look. Her clothes still look fresh and right over sixty years later. She really brought that New England/Seven Sisters look into the mainstream, and showed that even well brought up American girls wore pants.