Claritin and Seasonal Allergies

1. I think I developed allergies this spring. My head is stuffy all the time, I keep sneezing and I'm absolutely drained of energy. I never get better or worse, just the same symptoms day in and day out for weeks.

I bought some Claritin this morning and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this product. How long before it starts to work?

2. It's a daily drug for me and works well. I think it works pretty much right away. Nasalcrom works well also, but that takes a week or so to fully kick in. You can use them together if you need more relief.

Neither causes drowsiness. Claritin D does however. I can't take anything like that or I would be a zombie.

The Target brand is the same effective drug, but is about 1/4th the price.

3. ^that's really odd, Claritin is a antihistamine, which is what causes drowsiness, however, their's is slight different so it doesn't cause drowsiness for most people.
    But you say Claritin-D causes you to be drowsy?
    All it has extra in it is phenylephrine, which is like pseudoephedrine, which causes wakefulness, not drowsiness.
    If anything, regular Claritin can cause some actual drowsiness, Claritin-D should not.

I am on Zyrtec from Nov-May every year, but I give my kids Claritin.

4. I take Claritin-D most days and regular Claritin on days when I don't need the antihistamine. I've been taking it daily for years and I couldn't live without it! Also, it should start working immediately.

Claritin has 10mg of Loratadine; Claritin-D 24 has [SIZE=-1]10 mg of Loratadine and 240 mg of Pseudoephedrine Sulfate (which is the generic name for Sudafed). On the days I take Claritin-D I have to take it in the morning otherwise, if I take it after noon, I'll be up all night!
    [/SIZE]

5. Claritin works for most people, I find. For some people, like my mom and my late grandfather, Claritin doesn't work, and only Zyrtec will do the trick.

6. ^^Claritin is actually an antihistamine:yes:
    Loratadine is a non-drowsy antihistamine.

7. Ha, I'm a little slow this evening, what point are you making? Admittedly, I don't know a ton about these drugs, but when I went into anaphylaxis due to a severe food allergy, Benadryl (an antihistamine) wasn't enough to stop the reaction. I had to get shots of steriods. Maybe the relationship between C and Z is the same. LMK, you seem to know a lot about allergy meds.

8. I thought the tilapia sandwich was chicken. :sad: I have a life threatening allergy to fish.

9. I was writing to mokoni:yes:

Did you get an Epipen?

10. Yes, the emergency room doctor told me to go to my regular doctor and get one, but I never did. I will soon, though. I just carry around one of my son's epipens, since he has three of them (he's allergic to wheat, milk, soy and peanuts).

11. ^^ you should ask your Dr for an RX for an Epipen. In case this should happen again. Ask him for the travelers letter so they don't take it away when you go through security at the airport. It floors me that this should even be an issue today, lots of peole have allergies. But I have been asked for the letter on a couple of international flights.
    Even though you will do your best to avoid fish, you never know when your food will have come in contact with fish.
    I take Zyrtec now. Started with Claritin, & it worked well. You might notice a difference with the first pill.

12. claritin never worked for me. the first thing i ever took was teldanex, then i switched to zyrtec in my teens (no real reason really, but i moved to the uk and for a few years in between i was allergy free and it started up again). then zyrtec stopped working and last year i started taking xyzal (levocetirizine dihydrochloride) which worked great. i haven't gotten any allergies yet this year but i guess i'll be back on xyzal again when i do.

and yes, you should feel it working pretty much straight away, certainly within an hour.

13. yes, get a regular EpiPen, not an EpiPen Jr girl!

14. Oh yes, thanks for correcting me! I misspoke (or should I say "mistyped") -- I meant what you said. Claritin is the antihistamine and Sudafed is the decongestant. :yes:

15. I sympathize!

Claritin is OK but I prefer Allegra for daytimes. I feel a bit less "edgy."

Claritin is over the counter (OTC). Allegra is Rx only but OTC in Canada. I live close to Canada so I buy Allegra there.

When allergy season is in full gear (spring and parts of summer) I find that I must take a pill that has a decongestant (D) every other day to prevent my ears from hurting due to congestion. I take the pill as soon as I wake in the morning.

Claritin-D works fine for that. It is OTC.

I take the OTC antihistamine Benadril at night. It gives me allergy relief and helps me sleep.

Aspirin helps the allergy headaches. (You know it is an allergy headache if your forehead above the eyebrows and your cheeks along the sides of your nose hurt.)

Good luck, Sweetie!