Clarification on ring sizes

1. Hi everyone!

My boyfriend and I went to Bailey, Banks, and Biddle to figure out my ring size last night. I think we're at that point in our relationship, which is great since we've been going out for 8.5 years (living together for about 3 years). However, since I rarely wear rings, I had no idea what size I was and always thought that I was a size 5 for some reason.

When we got there, I found out that I'm a 4.5, but the woman who helped us said that ring size may vary. She said that if the band is thicker, you may need to go up in size (and thinner, may be smaller). She also said that there were other considerations - such as size of the stone.

My boyfriend and I had no idea that it was so complicated. Can someone clarify this for me (us)? I know that things can be resized, but any help or advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

2. She's right, wider rings will FEEL tighter because they are technically pressing down on a wider band of skin, while thinner rings feel a tiny bit looser. For the same reason, your finger might feel tighter after adding an additional wedding band next to the engagement ring. Many women go up a quarter size on the wedding band to accomodate this. And lastly, rings can feel tighter or looser depending on your body temperature. In the summer time our hands swell. And when you are really cold, you'll find rings can slip off a lot easier.

3. Yes, there are a lot of considerations but if this is for your engagement ring, you're likely to get a solitaire, right? So if that's the case, just get the 4.5 size and call it a day. Your wedding band is going to add to the complication. Worry about that later. Just keep it simple for now.

Congratulations in advance!!!!