Citing Confidential Information

1. I have a situation at work and don't quite know how to approach it. My position is privy to a great deal of highly confidential information. As such, I know a great deal about others' salaries, vacation entitlements, etc.

I am in the process of negotiating a position change in my office and I am aware, due to this confidential info, that I am being offered fewer benefits than those in comparable positions with the same or less experience as I.

How can I approach this? I don't know if I can cite the info I know as I only know it due to my position and any other employee would not know these things about others in comparable positions to theirs. Can I use this info when negotiating?
  2. I think that these things are all part of the negotiation process. Can you go back and ask for more money, benefits, etc. without citing the info that you know?

In my opinion, women often shortchange themselves regarding new job negotiations because quite frankly, they don't negotiate.
  3. I would NOT use any confidential information you have in order to get yourself better pay/benefits. I would go online and google your position and find the median salaries for different states all over the country. Once you see how they compare to yours, then take your printout with you to negotiate. This way you will receive more because you DESERVE more, not because you KNOW more...kwim??
  4. I wouldn't use the information you have, because that makes you look bad to your employer, like you are using your position's knowledge for personal gain. Be creative, like Traci said, and look up the different salaries for people doing the same job as you. Try to think outside of the fact that you know other people are getting more than you! Don't make it about what others have! Make it about what you SHOULD have!
  5. I definitely agree with what other's have recommended. There are many sites that you can conduct salary range searches for similar positions as the one you are interested in. I would also prepare a list citing your achievements and experiences to use when negotiating salary and benefits. That way, you employer will have something concrete to refer to.
  6. It's not a salary issue. It is other benefits specific to my company.
  7. Women do shortchange themselves.
    I would ask for the same benefits. Why shouldn't you get them? I would not mention one word about you knowing what the others are getting. You're not blackmailing them, merely asking, trying to get equal treatment. I think they are not very smart to even try to pull this but maybe they think you'll just be a nice young lady & take what they offer. Like I used to do. :cursing:
  8. I would ask for the benefits that you know others have, without citing the information. Good luck!

Your employers know that you are privvy to this information so you don't need to tell them! They really are chancing it knowing that you know!

Good luck!