Christmas Cookies

1. Christmas is just around the corner and I am wanting to bake cookies for neighbors and special friends. My recipes are boring since they are just from a recipe book. Can you ladies post up some good family cookie recipe's that you wouldn't mind someone else using... Thanks for sharing. :flowers:

2. I wish I could help you. My recipes are boring too. But I suggest making shortbread, because it's sooo delicious, and festive.

3. I agree with Danica that shortbread or sugar cookies are PERFECT for the holidays! I wish I could post up a family recipe, but we have no family recipes for cookies!

If you're looking for something, I think Martha Stewart comes out with Holiday recipe magazines for everything under the sun - decorating, meals, but I know a few years ago she had one entirely devoted to holiday cookies. I'm not sure if those recipes might be available online or whether this is an annual magazine she comes out with...

4. try allrecipes.com they have some tried and true christmas cookie recipes!

5. ^^^ Also, food network sends out their 12 days of christmas sort of version of cookie recipes. Subscribing to that will give you some ideas too!

Last year, I made a gazillion cookies from Martha Stewart's holiday cooking mag and from Fine Cooking also. Great stuff! I plan on doing the same this year again!

6. Thank you ladies, I look forward to baking them more so this year than ever we have a new neighbor that moved next door with the cutest little toddler that I have ever seen. I asked his mom if it would be Ok and she said he would love it. So I bought a bunch of Christmas cookie cutters and I'm going to let the child in me decorate them special for him. Oh, I wish I was young enough to be a mommy...:flowers:

7. I do cookies as gifts every year. Martha Stewarts gingerbread recipe is very good. Very gingery, dark and spicy. Her sugar cookie recipe is also very good.
    Other things to make that are quick are peanut brittle, fudge and truffles.
    If you want recipes I can post them.

8. At holiday time, I think it's the decorating that makes the cookies fun for kids and grown-ups, too! I love using the cookie cutters. what a nice neighbor you are!:yes:

9. when i was younger every christmas we would go to my aunts and make tons of cookies and decorate them and bring them to my granmas the next day, always was a blast :shame:

10. Thanks for the websites. I am making Xmas cookies for all of my employee's, I was planning on decorating sugar cookies but I may try something different. Also, I was at Target the other day and they had really cute Xmas baggies for cookies in the $1 bin.

11. Thanks for posting, gave me some good ideas. The Martha Stewart christmas cookie recipes looked simple enough for anyone to make easily enough. Fun.

12. Church windows are super easy and cute.

1 bag mini marshmellows, multi colored ones
    1 bag (12 oz) chocolate chips
    1 stick of butter or marg.

In a double boiler melt chocolate and butter, until just melted. Remove from heat.

Let cool just a bit, stir in marshmellows, until well coated.

Place mixture on wax peper. Roll into a log, (you can cover the outside with nuts or coconut, or leave plain).

Cool in freezer. unwrap and slice into rounds.

13. Thanks Twinkle- I am going to bake these and rename them.
    I'm going to call them Twinkle Cookies... My little neighbor sweetie Hudson will like them for sure...:flowers:

14. Hello,this one is my favorite and I got some more too that I will make for christmas..:yahoo:..I hope that you like it

Date Swirls Cookies

[​IMG]

INGREDIENTS:

* FILLING:
    * 2 cups chopped dates
    * 1 cup water
    * 1 cup sugar
    * 1 cup chopped nuts
    * 2 teaspoons lemon juice
    * DOUGH:
    * 1 cup butter or margarine
    * 1 cup packed brown sugar
    * 1 cup sugar
    * 3 eggs
    * 1 teaspoon lemon extract
    * 4 cups all-purpose flour
    * 1 teaspoon salt
    * 3/4 teaspoon baking soda

DIRECTIONS:

1. In a saucepan, combine filling ingredients. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture becomes stiff, about 15-20 minutes. Chill.
    2. For dough, cream butter and sugars in a mixing bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add extract. Combine flour, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Chill for at least 1 hour.
    3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out half of the dough to a 12-in. x 9-in. rectangle, about 1/4-in. thick. Spread with half of the filling. Roll up, starting with the long end. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Wrap with plastic wrap; chill overnight.
    4. Cut rolls into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375 degrees F for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks.