Christian Louboutin wants to trademark his Red Soles.

May 7, 2007
Christian Louboutin is seeking to protect his designs from copycats by applying to have the Red Soles trademarked both in the US and the UK.

He has said that "the shiny red colour of the soles has no function other than to identify to the public that the shoes are mine."

I think this is a really good idea and to be honest I'm suprised it has taken him so long - what do you think?

Should he get them trademarked or should other shoe designers be able to give their shoes Red Soles?

I thought others had mentioned that different designers had used red soles in the past, perhaps even before CL. I don't know if that is true, but if it is then how could he patent that? I just don't see how patenting a color is possible because it never really serves a purpose.

ITA...it would be a great idea....I hate copy cats. Although, have you guys seen the other high end shoe designer that does the red soles?? I wonder who did them first, and what would happen there....cause all the other red soles I've seen are on cheaper brand shoes that are knocking off CL's but not this guy...I don't remember his name but he has ads in fashion magazines.

i think it's such a great idea that he consider this. i hate how other brands always copy the red soles and you want them to be exclusive when you wear your CL. hopefully this will work out for mr. louboutin

ITA...it would be a great idea....I hate copy cats. Although, have you guys seen the other high end shoe designer that does the red soles?? I wonder who did them first, and what would happen there....cause all the other red soles I've seen are on cheaper brand shoes that are knocking off CL's but not this guy...I don't remember his name but he has ads in fashion magazines.

Cesare Paciotti also does red soles.

http://www.cesarepaciotti.it/fullscreen.asp?lang=eng

I think that CL should have done this a long time ago. I noticed that Cesare Paciotti started putting red lacquer on the soles just a few seasons ago, long after CL started doing it.

I do not think it would be far for him to patent the sole considering he wasn't the first to do it. I know CL is the most popular designer doing it, but he certainly isn't the first and definitely won't be the last. Would it be fair for Oh Deer to patent the red sole before CL? Or what about Jimmy Choo getting a patent for the shape of a stiletto heel?

^^That's exactly it. How can one patent a color, no matter where it is placed? In the 1600's a french king ruled that red heels could only be worn by members of his court. This isn't a new or even a particularly innovative idea. But it is the same principle, to say that you should only be allowed to wear red soles if you are wealthy. It really is a preposterous idea to patent a sole color.

b00mbaka, do you know who was the first to use a red sole? I know that historically there have been native peoples who have painted the soles of their feet red for various reasons, so the concept goes back further than we can probably imagine.