Children being a nuisance

We have been flying back anf forth with our 3 kids from Hong Kong to the US since they were 5,3,and 1. We DO NOT fly business class, because my DH is of the thought that especially on the HK trips, business class is filled with business folk, and the last thing they want after paying a couple of thousand dollars for their seat is to have a family of kids in the same area. I always pack a full carry-on with never before seen books, games, and coloring books, and all 3 kids have their own DVD players (IMO...the best $$$ we have ever spent). I assume that I will not be sleeping for the entire flight (although sometimes I get lucky), unless all of my kids are asleep too!! My kids know what to expect now...
SOmething kind of cute, which shows what a horrendous cook I am...my 7 year old daughter thinks that airplane food is GOURMET cooking, and will eat every last thing, and then compliment the flight attendants on their culinary skills!!!!

KUDOS TO YOU ANNE !!!!!!! :rochard:

If I absolutely had no choice and had to fly with a disabled child, I would NOTIFY the airlines beforehand, because by law they have to make accomodations for all disabled people whether they be adults or children. If my child were ill and too sick to get on the plane, then they should not be flying at all. (I also believe there are FAA regulations about seriously ill people flying commercially anyway.) That's not what happened here though, it appears that the parents wanted to take this trip and frankly did not CARE if it caused discomfort for their own child or other people !

well, I respect your views but I'm not into "notifying by law" or attributing "blame" to the parents. It would not be my ideal situation being on a plane with a screaming child..but sometimes you just have to go with the flow and show a little compassion. Sometimes none of us always do the right thing at times and others have to deal with our misjudgements and we should afford others the same courtesy. But I do understand where you are coming from.;)

Might I add....that being the parent of a screaming child, whether it be on a plane, in Wal-Mart...wherever it is....is really horrible for the parent!!!! Not only are we trying to calm down child, but also the stress of bothering other people is HORRIBLE!!!!!!

Might I add....that being the parent of a screaming child, whether it be on a plane, in Wal-Mart...wherever it is....is really horrible for the parent!!!! Not only are we trying to calm down child, but also the stress of bothering other people is HORRIBLE!!!!!!

Anne, I have seen parents on planes, that frankly did not give a rat's @ss that their kids were screaming and disruptive. Either they hid the stress really well or they simply didn't care. I'm glad you ARE the kind of person who cares!

You have one of the hardest jobs there is since 9/11. They'll always be some jerk that thinks the rules don't apply to them but the majority of the people on your flights stand behind you & what you need to do to make sure we all arrive safe.

Thanks.
We do have regulars (traveling for business) that think none of the rules apply to them.
They are also the one's who talk loudest during my safety demo. Sure maybe they travel all the time but there's always someone who's never been on a plane before. :sad:

Thanks.
We do have regulars (traveling for business) that think none of the rules apply to them.
They are also the one's who talk loudest during my safety demo. Sure maybe they travel all the time but there's always someone who's never been on a plane before. :sad:

The ones that drive me crazy are the ones yapping on their cell phones as the plane is trying to leave the gate! Don't you just want to grab the phones from them? :cursing:

The ones that drive me crazy are the ones yapping on their cell phones as the plane is trying to leave the gate! Don't you just want to grab the phones from them? :cursing:

I have threatened to do just that. Sometimes it's like I'm traveling with children.
"Now, please turn your phone off". *almost holding their hand*

I love this article. It's funny that no one mentions that the child was climbing under the seat and HITTING the parents. The fact that they had delayed the flight already 15 minutes and the parents couldn't get the child in the seat with the belt buckled was the reason why they got booted.

That said, I've flown plenty of flights where children misbehaved and behaved. Most of the time, the difference is the involvement of the parents. Yes, children have meltdowns. I think most people can understand that. When your child is the reason that 112 paying customers are going to miss their connecting flight because she won't behave, I think you need to re-examine who is being selfish and who is not. If the 100+ customers missed their connecting flights due to accommodating the parents (who imo shouldn't have been flying so soon after the child's ear surgery), who would have paid for that?

Plenty of parents have gotten off flights and rescheduled to a later flight due to their children. It's difficult, but the child is your responsibility, not solely that of the Flight Attendant. It's sad that people don't have more tolerance for children traveling. I don't think it's solely due to the travelers but also due to parents not reprimanding their children for bad behavior.

flying just after ear surgery?? wtf?? :wtf:

i did once fly with the nastiest ear infection known to man and a ruptured eardrum but it was on the way back home and as much as i probably would've like to stay on the virgin islands i had to go home. i was about 8 or 9 and i don't remember making noise, although i wouldn't be surprised if i was so drugged up that i didn't know my own name. i certainly didn't cause a scene like that though. i even liked airplane food :lol: but umm my tastebuds seem to have taken a bit of a turn since then!

i've only once experienced someone being removed from the plane, and it was a boy of about 9. i was wondering why boarding was taking so long, turns out that this boy and his mother were planted right in front of the flight attendant at the door and he refused to move and was screaming as loudly as he could :wtf: then they finally got to their seats (right behind me, you can bet that i was wishing for a child free flight then ;) and i don't really mind children on planes most of the time.) and he still would. not. shut. up. he wasn't even saying anything, not even crying, just screaming. probably kicking too but i had the window seat and they had the aisle and middle so i didn't get to experience it. in the end the flight attendant came and said that the pilot had asked for them to be removed and the mother was protesting, saying that he was such a good boy :confused1: i really don't want to imagine what her definition of a naughty boy is :wtf: they were removed to the relief of everyone else but only after about 10 minutes of boarding being completed. i think they were put on the next flight, i hope for the sake of their fellow passengers that he calmed down by then.

i don't think child free flights are a bad idea at all, especially on routes that are flown about 10 times a day and are usually used by business passengers, making one or two of those child free isn't the end of the world. in the mornings i'd definitely like the option, i'm grumpy enough as it is at 6 without screaming on the plane, and who other than business passengers really *needs* to fly at 6-7? not very many people. tomorrow i'm going on a flight where there will certainly be children (i'm going skiing and it's a rare direct flight to the nearest airport) so i'll pay extra attention to how they and their parents behave :lol: . but i'm dreading the drunk men who think they need to start their holiday at the airport more. :yucky:

How true that is. Its seems like today so many people are self centered and do not show any empathy for anyone. Its "all about me" mentality. I'm sure it was extremely difficult for those parents. I'm sure it wasnt a great experience for them not to be able to control their child. Kids are usually good but there are times they have meltdowns and you can only do the best you can to calm them down. That is part of life. I feel bad for that family who was thrown off the plane. What kind of heartless people would be happy with that outcome? Its very sad. Kindness is a hard thing to come by these days. Its a sad commentary on our "modern" society.

It's not about empathy or kindness--it's about following Federal Air Regulations. The child was required to be seated and buckled in; they had already delayed 15 minutes for the parents to calm her down and she was crawling under the seats and hitting her mother. How long are the other 100+ passengers supposed to wait? How empathetic are they feeling while thinking about missing their connections or appointments? Of course the crew didn't want to do this, but safety regs. required it. The parents are in denial.

i've only once experienced someone being removed from the plane, and it was a boy of about 9. i was wondering why boarding was taking so long, turns out that this boy and his mother were planted right in front of the flight attendant at the door and he refused to move and was screaming as loudly as he could :wtf: then they finally got to their seats (right behind me, you can bet that i was wishing for a child free flight then ;) and i don't really mind children on planes most of the time.) and he still would. not. shut. up.

Wow! Acting like that at nine? I pity her when he is a teenager.