Chihua-wheels: Disabled dogs get rolling

1. BY JOSEPH MALLIA 8:51 AM EST, January 11, 2008[​IMG]

PORT WASHINGTON, N.Y. - Three Chihuahua puppies, born without front legs due to a genetic defect, now have what the North Shore Animal League calls "front-wheel drive."

The trio, Venus, Carmen and Pablo, rescued by the League from a Virginia shelter, were equipped with two-wheeled carts that give them mobility, the shelter said in a news release Thursday.

"The three have been practicing getting about and eating using their new, custom-built, aluminum carts," the shelter said. The carts are fastened to the dogs with "Velcro-held polar fleece padding for comfortable body support and lightweight foam wheels."

The carts were made by a company in the Berkshire Mountains village of Shelburne Falls, in western Massachusetts. The company, Eddie's Wheels, designed the carts to be used for ten minutes at a stretch. They eliminate some of the stress on their lower spines from walking on their hind legs and from the lack of proper posture, the animal welfare agency said.

The Chihuahuas are each missing their front legs as he result of a birth defect believed to be the result of irresponsible over breeding also known as backyard breeding, the shelter said.

Normal in every other way, the pups seem unaware of their disability and have accepted the challenge of their new carts much as they did the challenge to learn to balance themselves on their back legs, the League said.

The three now have a permanent home, the shelter said. They were adopted together by a North Shore Animal League veterinary technician.

This page also has a video!
  2. In another report it said that the dogs can hop on their hind legs, but the technicians would rather they be trained to use the carts.

You can actually see one of them hopping in the background during the video.
  3. That's awesome.
  4. Bloody backyard breeders. I'm glad they all went to the same home though, wow!
  5. Awww, sweet little guys. &#%$@ breeder!
  6. im glad they found a good home!!
  7. Aww! I am glad that they are doing well and were able to be rescued. I'm also glad they found a good home!
  8. I´m going to cry. Thank goodness for shelter workers and Eddie´s Wheels who came up with this design.
  9. this story is so cute. thanks for sharing!
  10. I remember seeing the article when they were first born and recently saw the follow-up on TV. I was so happy to see them get adopted all by one person. They are soooo cute!
  11. such a great story!!! and the doggies jumping around XD.... (runs to show to friends)
  12. oh gosh... bless thier lil souls... broke my heart seeing that :crybaby:.. and god bless that lady!!!