Chicagoland

tabbyco

Shh....
O.G.
Jun 5, 2006
What is the deal with Chicagoland? What is it referring to? And do people who actually live in Chicagoland call it Chicagoland?

This has been driving me crazy... don't know why :confused1:

i cheated! from wikipedia..

""Chicagoland" is an informal name for the Chicago metropolitan area, used primarily by copywriters, advertising agencies, and traffic reporters.[citation needed] There is no precise definition for the term "Chicagoland," which may be larger than the MSA and include portions of the greater CSA. The Chicago Tribune, which coined the term, includes the city of Chicago, the rest of Cook County, eight nearby Illinois counties; Lake, McHenry, DuPage, Kane, Kendall, Grundy, Will and Kankakee, and two counties in Indiana; Lake and Porter.[4] The Illinois Department of Tourism defines Chicagoland as Cook County without the city of Chicago, and only Lake, DuPage, Kane and Will counties.[5] The Chicagoland Chamber of Commerce defines it as all of Cook, and DuPage, Kane, Lake, McHenry and Will counties. [6]"

although i swear i have driven through a town called chicagoland on hwy 30 a few times and it didnt look like a fun place... but maybe i'm just recalling them using the term chicagoland when i was listening to the radio in that area.

No one I know ever calls it that, except when they're being funny or sarcastic or something - like when I call Las Vegas "Sin City." I hear it used a lot in advertising though.

Usually you here people refer to it as the "Chicagoland area". Weather people use the term frequently..."Snow is expected to fall across the entire Chicagoland area later tonight..."

Anne

Usually you here people refer to it as the "Chicagoland area". Weather people use the term frequently..."Snow is expected to fall across the entire Chicagoland area later tonight..."

Anne

I amend my post! I forget about usage of that sort. I guess I was thinking someone saying, oh, I live in Chicagoland, rather than in Naperville or whatever.

Anne

Yeah, this is how it's used. If someone asked where we lived, I'd say far nw suburbs; it's unofficially divided into the city neighborhoods, and the areas of suburbs in the counties surrounding Chicago. We lived in Crystal Lake, a far nw suburb, but still considered it Chicagoland.

People use the term to describe the entire area of Chicago + suburbs, and yes, mostly used on weather reports or sometimes in advertisements. Like everyone said, we don't say "oh, I'm from Chicagoland" I'd laugh if I ever heard someone say that! I don't think anyone says I'm going to Chicagoland, its you're going to Chicago, but they use it when things apply to the entire area.