Chicago style - how do people dress there?

Also, what do guys tend to wear? I'm so used to seeing the striped button down shirt and jeans look, but is it different in Chicago? Would slacks at a nice restaurant or bar be more appropriate? Or are jeans ok for men, too (easier to pack).
Yes this is what a lot of young men around here wear. Again, the same rules apply for men in terms of darker jeans for going out, etc. Unless the nice restaurant specifies business attire or pretty high end, dark jeans are acceptable.

I looooove Chicago!!!!

I havent been since may of this year but I was there numerous times this past winter and it was freeeeezing!!!!!!
So make sure you pack a warm stylish wool coat, some gloves and a scarf!!

Have a blast, it is an AWESOME city.

Do you think it's ok to wear jeans to Chicago Chop House? That is one of the places we will be having dinner. In California, you can wear jeans everywhere, but I don't mind dressing up a bit. In fact, I get tired of wearing jeans EVERYWHERE.

Hi! The last time I was at the Chop House I did wear jeans, so did my boyfriend in fact! It is totally fine. Of course, we were wearing designer denim, I had a nice coat, bag and shoes too. :yes:

Chicago is definitely a more laid back city. Also, it's a city where the weather is completely unpredictable and on any given day you will see a heavy winter coat and someone wearing shorts. No joke. My friends that moved here from Cali do say that it is a little less laid back than the West Coast style, maybe because we have to wear so many layers!

Regardless, you can wear whatever you want here and people will not think twice. I'm sure you will still look super cute!! Enjoy your stay when you come, I love this city!

Thanks for all your advice everyone! I am definitely going to pack a heavy winter coat, hat, gloves, scarf. And I think for shoes, I am going to try to get by on just two pairs - comfortable walking shoes for day and tall heeled boots for night that I can wear with a dress or with jeans.

Bundle up. Chicago is freezing in the winter. I have lived there before. It's also far less fashionable than NY. You can wear nice jeans to most places, even to some nice restaurants (not to Trotter's or anything, but to a lot). Just don't wear stone washed jeans or hairspray, or people will think you're from the suburbs, which is still common gear in some of them :smile:

Hey! I live in the 'burbs and I haven't seen stone washed jeans in at least a week!:P

Well I currently live in Chicago and I would say that you would be safe wearing say...Nice jeans, cute pumps and a nice blouse to Chicago Chop House. Also, jeans for men are totally appropriate.
Be prepared to have a cute wool coat to bundle up in because you are going to be cold. Even if us Chicagoans do not think it is that cold any visitors will!! lol!! During the day cute boots and jeans are nice and at night if you go anywhere fancy don't hesitate to wear your lil black dress and cute heels! This will be expected at places like Blackbird, Spiagga and etc... Hope you enjoy the trip and if you need any other help for places to go just ask!!!

Well I currently live in Chicago and I would say that you would be safe wearing say...Nice jeans, cute pumps and a nice blouse to Chicago Chop House. Also, jeans for men are totally appropriate.
Be prepared to have a cute wool coat to bundle up in because you are going to be cold. Even if us Chicagoans do not think it is that cold any visitors will!! lol!! During the day cute boots and jeans are nice and at night if you go anywhere fancy don't hesitate to wear your lil black dress and cute heels! This will be expected at places like Blackbird, Spiagga and etc... Hope you enjoy the trip and if you need any other help for places to go just ask!!!

Not trying to go off topic, but what bars or lounges do you recommend for drinks? I like what I read about LuxBar, J Bar, Suite Lounge, and Bungalow, but I don't know anyone who has been. What do you think about them or do you have better suggestions?

I think rockit bar is yuppie-trendy. Lots of lawyer and trader-types go there after work, and i have seen it mentioned in the tabloids a few times as the place where celebs go when they are in Chicago. It wasn't really my scene, though.

You absolutely MUST visit the Signature Lounge in the John Hancock building. I believe it's on the 95th floor, and it has not only a great view, but great drinks and a wonderful classy vibe as well. The chocolate mousse cake is to die for.

I work in the City and live in the suburbs. For the last few years, December hasn't been all that "cold" (mostly 40's last year, and I think it thunderstormed on Xmas Eve a few years back!). One thing about Chicago is that I think there seems to be less "fad" dressing or what's "in" or "out" - people pretty much dress the way that they feel, and there really is no right or wrong.

As for going out & hitting the clubs, a nice pair of jeans, a pretty camisole (or "sparkly" halter if you're comfortable) with a nice jacket (or even sweater) and a pair of strappy sandals or heeled boots would totally be apprioriate. You might want to pay attention to the weather forecast before you leave. A wool (or even down) coat might not be necessary, so why pack it if you don't need it? If worse comes to worse, if it got too cold and you weren't prepared, there are TONS of places to go shopping to get what you need!

Basically go through your closet for stuff you wore 5 years ago and you will fit right in. ;)

There's a huge delay in everything in chicago compared to the west coast: in terms of fashion, hairstyle, bar scene, even music.