Chic Paris Boutique Tries to Sell Crocs *pic*

maxter

O.G.
Feb 5, 2006
Chic Paris Boutique Tries to Sell Crocs
– Rachel Dodes

On Sunday, the day before the big shows begin, the fashion crowd heads to Le Marais, one of the few areas in Paris where stores are allowed to do business on a Sunday. Trendy boutiques like Paul & Joe, A.P.C. and Barbara Bui were bustling with well-heeled fashionistas checking out the latest in Parisian looks — layered tops, patent leather ballet flats and skinny jeans.

OB-AH690_ocrocs_20070225123224.jpg

Crocs clogs have yet to make their mark outside the U.S.

But on the Rue des Francs-Bourgeois, one of the main drags in the shopping district, there were some items in the window of a small shop that caused people to point and stare: Crocs, the unabashedly ugly brand of rubber garden clogs that have a cult following in the U.S. The shoes, in gold and orange, were shown paired with dainty dresses and chic leather jackets.

Crocs, which feature large holes in the front, have yet to become a sensation outside the United States. “Everyone thinks this is crazy,” acknowledged Pascal Yefet, owner of the shop in Paris, which is called Sylk Production. Mr. Yefet claims to be the first person in France to attempt to sell the unusual footwear. After a year of negotiation, he purchased 800 pairs of Crocs in a rainbow of colors from Crocs Inc., the Niwot, Colorado-based company. The shoes retail for 49 euros, or about $65. In the U.S. they can be purchased for $29.99.

If Mr. Yefet succeeds in drawing interest from French consumers, it could be a good sign for Crocs Inc., which has seen its stock almost triple since going public last year. The company has been rapidly expanding its offerings — such as a wedge heel and a rubber ballet flat — to avoid becoming a one-hit wonder.

Since opening the boutique in January, Mr. Yefet says he has sold about 100 pairs of Crocs, but that only 50% of the buyers are French. “I hope people see Crocs as something different,” says Mr. Yefet. “They are very comfortable.”

Everybody loves these shoes it seems and I cant seem to like them.
Although, they do look comfortable, durable, and easy to maintain/clean.

I just feel like i should be gardening when i see them.

this is really gross to say, but....... if they are made of rubber/plastic....... wouldnt your feet get sweaty in the summer?

I did see someone wearing them in Montmartre (forgot which street I was walking actually :P) when I went to Paris on Saturday.

To be honest, I would not be surprised to see it selling well in France (in particular Paris). There is a saying that one can distinguish who is the true Parisian and who is the tourist by some guy in the Le Monde newspaper. The tourist are the ones trying [conspicuously too] hard whereas the residents just drag themselves out of the door in rags. These crocs seems to have fit that idea.

P.S. Is this article from Wall Street Journal?

This is my personal opinion so please don't flame me if you like them but, I'm sorry, they look like gardening clogs and I think they look rather tacky wearing them outside of the garden. They are cute for kids, but otherwise silly looking on adults. I think they look ridiculous in the hospitals too. I'm in nursing school, and I still wont sub come to the plastic uglies.

This is my personal opinion so please don't flame me if you like them but, I'm sorry, they look like gardening clogs and I think they look rather tacky wearing them outside of the garden. They are cute for kids, but otherwise silly looking on adults. I think they look ridiculous in the hospitals too. I'm in nursing school, and I still wont sub come to the plastic uglies.
Lol, I agree.