Cheerleaders Punished For Flashing

1. Updated:14:07, Saturday November 17, 2007
    A group of US cheerleaders have been suspended from school after they lifted up their skirts at the end of a Britney Spears routine.

They performed the risque move to finish the season on a high after their American football team had a disappointing year.
    With their parents' backing, they capped off the routine by flashing their shorts which spelled out the school's nickname, Indians.
    One of the mothers had even made the white garments especially for the last game.

But the teachers at Ripon High School in California were not happy and after the half-time routine, they told the cheerleaders to leave.
    However, the girls did not want to go and continued cheering.
    The coaches were also annoyed because they had not been told about the final pose, where they had danced to Spears' Hit Me Baby One More Time.

When the girls turned up at school the following week, six of the eight teenagers were told they would be suspended for two days.
    Cheerleader Michele Capriulo said: "We felt what we did wasn't wrong. It was cute and fun and the crowd loved it.

"Our coaches just had a power trip."
    Another, Bonnie Winget, told The Modesto Bee newspaper: "We wanted to end our senior year on a bang. We didn't mean to push things this far."
    A third girl thinks her grades will suffer because of the suspension and at least one parent has appealed to police over the penalty.

(http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-1293246,00.html)

I'd have more of a problem with this if the cheerleaders were in middle or elementary school. They had their parents' permission and they were wearing spanky pants. They're not showing any more than what they would if there were aerial stunts involved.

2. This is so ridiculous!! they were dancing not out right making out with each other!! this politically correct stuff is really getting out of hand

3. Geesh, kids today see MUCH worse than that on billboards all across the US.

Someone has a knee problem, it jerks too much.

4. The concept is pretty slutty, but they did have SHORTS underneath. It's not like they were wearing panties or going commando.

5. Wow pretty trashy but whatever floats their boats... The parents actually APPROVED of this behavior? I think that's even worse raising girls to turn skanky... IMHO I don't think it's right in school but they didn't even get punished badly. 2 days of suspension? One of the parents are trying to appeal it saying 2 whole days is effecting their grades? That's pretty pathetic. I don't care either way though since although I don't think it's a major deal, they put in 2 suspension days and it all evens out. Definitely doesn't deserve a news paper story on this... There are more important issues out there for sure.

6. Okay, I'm a cheerleader and trust me, your spanky's (which IMO look like massive granny panties) are going to be exposed when you jump, stunt, tumble, etc. Blah, blah, blah.. this is all getting a little ridiculous.. everyone trying to censor and prohibit every little questionable thing.

It must have been a slow news day.

7. I saw this on the news. It really was no big deal. Liz is right, they look like granny panties.

8. I agree... it seems like people get so worked up over silly things, especially in schools, when they should focus on bigger problems, like drugs, gang violence, students having sex w/ teachers, etc., etc. I've been really grossed out at the number of student and teacher sex stories hitting the news lately. Now that IS an issue, not something like this.

9. When I was a cheerleader, we pulled a similar prank. We wore flesh colored undies at a pep rally. We didn't get suspended though but the Principal was pissed. I was also in band and we almost got suspended once for putting a Playboy centerfold in our music teacher's score before we performed at a state music competition.

10. ^^^^ hahahaha! no you didn't! a centerfold??? ahhahah wow, i would have loved to see his/her face!

11. RI-DI-Cu-LOUS!

It's cute, surprising and cheeky. Not trashy at all. Just shows how strange and wrong the focus is getting. This clip was shown in Japan some years ago and didn't spawn any reactions (that I know of), the youngest one only being 13 at the time. http://youtube.com/watch?v=geJDt_ccT6Q

12. People need to calm down, it's no big deal.

13. If it's a pair of shorts then it's really not a big deal. Just a little harmless fun. If they were wearing panties then I can see what the big fuss is but shorts inevitably end up being "flashed" during the routine anyways.

14. I don't like this part. That is blatant disrespect of the teachers' authority. The girls should have just left the game. That right there eliminates any idea in my head that the punishment was too severe.

And maybe to the people in that area it isn't just harmless fun. I think we should respect the fact that officials felt uncomfortable with it. I really can kind of see where they are coming from.

15. Or maybe the coach felt threatened by the girls drawing attention away from what should have been their game.

Kids get up to pranks, especially in the last days of High School.

On the other hand, a girl that is so concerned that her grades will suffer from only two days of suspension should probably reconsider her focus, which seems to be fuzzy.