Cheapest country to buy LV

i bought my LV and Gucci bags in Italy when i was on tour. I was on a guided tour and my tour guide said we may not have enough time in France for shopping ( @ LV ). When I got back to Singapore, I checked out the prices here....After i worked out the exchange rates of the Euro n Singapore dollars, my 2 bags cost cheaper over @ Italy by btn Sing 100-200 dollars.

When I was at Italy, things were very very cheap. the lira was weak, and there were LVs in Verona and in many parts of Italy.

I asked the SA in an LV boutique in Italy if they had the same prices as in France. He said that any price difference is kind of negated by the amount of tax refund you get so the price (for foreign visitors anyway) ends up being the same.

So Paris = France, cheaper than HK, and definitely cheaper than MANILA (30% more expensive than Eluxury prices)

i heard france is the cheapest. next is hawaii.

elux (including shipping) is still cheaper than US mainland prices just because you dont get to pay taxes.

hongkong and manila prices are roughly the same (HK slightly lower).

Mono Canvas Speedy 30 per exchange rates on xe.com:

in France - USD 537.31
in UK - USD 612.57
in Turkey - USD 625.00
in Singapore - USD 645.00
in US - USD 650.00
in NZ - USD 740.94 (retail) USD 650.07 (duty free)
in Manila - USD 780 (retail)

and when you go shopping outside your own country, a VAT refund is usually issued at the airport (when you exit) as long as you have the necessary paperwork. always ask for the VAT refund form from the SAs. form needs to be filled out and processed by the store within 24 hours of purchase. you will receive a copy of the form which you will present at the airport for your refund.

inbound customs duties differ from country to country. in the philippines, as long as you declare whatever you are carrying your personal stuff, you will not be taxed.

I am on my way to Nice, France tomorrow on business. If it is cheaper I will pick something up for my wife. How do you get the VAT back? Any special France only editions I should look for?

Thanks

AW

Hope no one else answered this already...
To get the VAT you ask the SA in the boutique to help you with the paperwork, then you take the paperwork and the item you purchased to a booth at the airport as you leave and they will process the paperwork and you will recieve a refund (usually to your credit card). The SA's are very familiar with the process and can tell you all in better detail than I can!!!!!

Ugh, when this posted I see that someone answered this right above me! Sorry!

What if you know a French citizen who is coming to visit the US? If, say, he was bringing a new LV purchased in Paris into the US as a gift, would he have to declare anything or pay duties?