Cheap Clothing, Expensive Handbags

I think it's important that everything we buy is sweat shop free and has nothing to do with exploitation and child labour. Research is essential, but apart from that price is not a factor...

I agree. I try to be as ethical a consumer as possible while still maintaining my sense of style. For example, my sunglasses are from Warby Parker and my non-designer clothes are mostly from Everlane, Brooks Brothers (still made in the States), and Misha Nonoo (still made in Manhattan's garment district!). Similarly, my shoes are from Everlane and LK Bennett mostly.

Reactions: doni and chessmont
If you have the right accessories and a creative mind you can make any cheap outfit look amazing! So yes I agree, you definitely do not need to spend crazy amounts of money on clothing but if you were to spoil yourself with something... It definitely should be a great hand bag

Reactions: Storm702
Regardless of price, Quality and fit are most important to me. I rarely spend more than $150 on any one item unless they are shoes, meaning that I bargain shop too. This results in me having relatively few clothes. Whatever I buy must make me look and feel great and something I can see myself wearing for at least 15 years. It has to be super comfortable and durable because I don't dry clean. I don't care how cheap it is. If it doesn't meet these criteria, forget it. And if I already have something similar, I don't buy it. I pick and choose my trends, and will store quality clothes that go out of style, because I know they will come back. I just pulled 4 pairs of wide legged pants from 15-17 years ago from storage and they look fabulous with everything I have. Black, gray, black pinstripe. These were old banana republic, Nanette lepore and Dolce. Storing my super skinnies, true religion, Rock and republic, diesel because they will be back in another 10-15 years.

I can't afford to buy everything designer and my passion is handbags so that is where I spend. I buy inexpensive clothes but all my clothes are fairly neutral, I'm not into anything to trendy. I would love to purchase a chanel Jumbo classic flap but am afraid of people like the few who have posted in this thread who would judge me negatively for having a beautiful bag and not expensive clothes. I don't dress like a bum but my clothes come from old navy, gap, banana republic etc. I do spend a bit more on shoes because the likelihood of my feet getting any bigger is slim, the likelihood of my waist getting bigger (or smaller) is a certainty.

I see tons of people driving expensive cars who don't dress well I think of it the same way. I spend my money on what interests me the most. I still wish I could work up the nerve to rock the chanel though but alas I worry to much about the negative nellies.

I can't afford to buy everything designer and my passion is handbags so that is where I spend. I buy inexpensive clothes but all my clothes are fairly neutral, I'm not into anything to trendy. I would love to purchase a chanel Jumbo classic flap but am afraid of people like the few who have posted in this thread who would judge me negatively for having a beautiful bag and not expensive clothes. I don't dress like a bum but my clothes come from old navy, gap, banana republic etc. I do spend a bit more on shoes because the likelihood of my feet getting any bigger is slim, the likelihood of my waist getting bigger (or smaller) is a certainty.

I see tons of people driving expensive cars who don't dress well I think of it the same way. I spend my money on what interests me the most. I still wish I could work up the nerve to rock the chanel though but alas I worry to much about the negative nellies.

Get your beautiful bag! You do not have to justify how you choose to spend your $ to anyone on the internet! And if people in real life are judging you because your clothing isn't designer & your bag is, then I'd surround myself with better people.

I don't spend a lot on clothes unless it's a special LBD, winter coat, or work suit etc. Otherwise it's not worth it for me. I turn over clothes a lot. I give a lot to goodwill. When I'm not working I'm outdoors a lot & active (kayaking, camping, traveling, hiking, skiing) - my clothes get dirty, stained, stretched, torn etc. No one I know cares where or how much I spent on clothes. As long as I look professional at work & am enjoying/living life outside that, who cares?! Anyone that concerned with someone else's attire, especially someone they don't know, should look inward...

Don't you ever let the negative nellies stop you! I don't buy designer clothes but I do love my handbags! Here I am pairing my bags with forever21IMG_1480722718.348366.jpgIMG_1480722718.348366.jpgIMG_1480722742.028004.jpg

As others have said, buy what YOU want!! :smile: Emotionally mature people will applaud you and your happiness with your clothes / bags....or, really...not even notice because they have meaningful things in their lives they are attending to. Only petty people "judge" someone based on their clothing choices.

That being said, people in a forum or discussion may and should offer any view of how they shop. And as long as they don't say other people need to do "x" to be "ok" it isn't personal. It's just perspective which keeps the conversation going and provides insight into the diversity of thought. So, don't worry about it. Just enjoy all the comments and keep going. :flowers:

For me I buy mostly premiere bags because I love them and can afford them. I buy nice jewelry and furs because I love those too. And I respect that others have objections to wearing leather, diamonds or fur but I let that be their opinion. For clothes & shoes I buy classics with some fun pieces in the mid range on sale (think Nordstrom Rack for casual and date night clothes and St. John which comfy and professional for my suits) Clothing styles change too often and I don't see enough of a difference between nice mid range and designer ready to wear to pay the differential.

Oh, and I'm not researching my clothes. :noworry: I think it's nice when others choose to and understand why they do so. But I'm not spending 5 minutes following the chain of production on a t shirt. Or a washing machine. Or a bagel. But that's me. Everyone is different. ;)