Charlie Brown gang goes glam at Snoopy in Fashion

1. 1 hour, 4 minutes ago

By Jan Paschal

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Good grief, Charlie Brown, you're gorgeous!

Who knew that beneath that sweater beat the heart of a fashionista who'd rather wear a shiny gold mini dress?

Isaac Mizrahi, that's who.

He was among more than a dozen top designers, including Betsey Johnson, Pamella Roland and Heatherette, as well as celebrities like Kristin Chenoweth and Whoopi Goldberg, who gave the beloved "Peanuts" comic strip characters a total makeover on Friday night at the MetLife Snoopy in Fashion show in Manhattan's Bryant Park.

The designers' creations will be auctioned on eBay in October to raise money for the nonprofit organization Dress for Success, which provides low-income women with career clothes and support to help them thrive in the workplace.

For Charlie Brown, it was a gender-bender to remember.

Dutch designers Spijkers en Spijkers, who are twin sisters, imagined Charlie in a flared satin dress that looked more club kid than playground.

Jeannie Schulz, the widow of "Peanuts" creator Charles Schulz, welcomed the New York Fashion Week crowd of 1,500 to the show with a glimpse into her husband's own style sense.

"My husband always loved a good show and he always loved clothes," she said. "He couldn't pass a men's clothing store without looking at the sweaters."

Later, she told Reuters that fans sent him beautiful sweaters, which he found touching, but she added: "You know, you kind of like to pick your own."

On the runway, Snoopy proved that a beagle can "clean up nice" when he's wearing a white mink coat designed by Jeremy Scott for Saga Furs.

Woodstock channeled his inner showgirl when model Camilla strutted out in a bright yellow top hat and matching dress with beaded top and sassy skirt made of feathers.

"I put Woodstock in a little bitty dress. I used dyed ostrich feathers," said designer Laura Bennett, the "Project Runway" finalist from the Bravo show last fall.

But it was her vision of Pig Pen in clouds of light brown tulle and a copper jersey gown that almost stopped the show.

"Pig Pen was a little bit more of a challenge," Bennett told Reuters. "He's known for his grunge aesthetic. I wanted to give him some of my glam."

Ingrid Hoffmann, host of "Simply Delicioso" on the Food Network, gave crabby Lucy a chance to shed her schoolgirl dress and saddle shoes. Hoffmann slipped Lucy into a blue chiffon swimsuit cover-up and stilettos.

"I wanted a va-va-voom Lucy! It's as if Lucy goes to South Beach or she's on the French Riviera," Hoffmann said.
    She also did the backstage catering, bringing lettuce wrap sandwiches in hopes of enticing the models to eat something, adding: "Those girls looked like they could use a good meal."

(http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/reuters/070908/entertainment/entertainment_fashion_snoopy_col)

2. From Left to Right:

1. Betsey Johnson
    2. Laura Bennet
    3. The Blondes
    4. Wildchild Wear

Betsey Johnson.jpg Laura Bennet.jpg The Blondes.jpg Wildchild Wear.jpg
  3. It's such a wonderful cause, and it's a very unique concept!

4. 1. Model Frederique Van Der Wal (L) displays a Laura Bennet creation with her daughter Scyler Pim Klein, 7, at the 'Snoopy In Fashion' Spring 2008 show during New York Fashion Week September 7, 2007.

2. Model Omahyra Mota hugs an actor dressed as Snoopy at the "Snoopy In Fashion" Spring 2008 show during New York Fashion Week September 7, 2007.

3. Model Omayra, wearing an outfit designed by Heatherette, walks the runway with Snoopy at the MetLife 'Snoopy in Fashion' show during Fashion Week in New York, Friday, Sept. 7, 2007.

4. A model wears an outfit designed by David Bromstad at the MetLife 'Snoopy in Fashion' show during Fashion Week in New York, Friday, Sept. 7, 2007.

5. A model wears an outfit designed by talk show host Elisabeth Hasselbeck at the MetLife 'Snoopy in Fashion' show during Fashion Week in New York, Friday, Sept. 7, 2007.

2007_09_07t235240_315x450_us_fashion_snoopy.jpg r2744578276.jpg capt_cc37ed6957bd496684caf3305d272a45_fashion_snoopy_nydb216.jpg capt_513f29bfb21840609bafd7087cdde926_fashion_snoopy_nydb217.jpg capt_6a9b9107f2fa48e894c98eadf3032929_fashion_snoopy_nydb213.jpg
  5. 6. A model wears an outfit designed by Nicole Romano at the MetLife 'Snoopy in Fashion' show during Fashion Week in New York, Friday, Sept. 7, 2007.

7. A model wears an outfit designed by Whoopi Goldberg at the MetLife 'Snoopy in Fashion' show during Fashion Week in New York, Friday, Sept. 7, 2007.

8. Singer JoJo models a dress designed by actress Kristin Chenoweth at the MetLife 'Snoopy in Fashion' show during Fashion Week in New York, Friday, Sept. 7, 2007.

capt_443d81bed3f74f86bb728b8752ffe660_fashion_snoopy_nydb211.jpg capt_1e3e70ae28b040af8cf1d9a865e8a4dd_fashion_snoopy_nydb210.jpg capt_c0e24184d50246988e0a305d9b2968d9_fashion_snoopy_nydb208.jpg
  6. I just watched the video of the runway show, I loved it! Go figure :}