Workplace change of career path at the age of 39....advices on being a SA/Personal Shopper

I actually loved working as a SA when I was in college. Any negativity from customers was overshadowed by the great feeling of making someone happy. It was physically demanding though, especially when working 8 hour shifts or working sales. There is definitely room to move up, like store manager and then corporate, but at age 39, I'm not sure that I would be able to start as a SA. Did you ever think about becoming a buyer? I also liked the idea of starting your own company on the side..maybe designing storefronts or store layouts?

OMG, OP, your current job is actually my dream job. I absolutely loooove drafting. I remember seeing a blue print for the first time when I was 12 and being completely mesmerized by it for hours on end. The details, the intricacies, they all come together so beautifully, absolutely amazing! Too bad I didn't choose architecture when I went college. And it's very difficult to change career to become an architect now. Such a long long education path. You have no idea how many times I have seriously considered it though, even though I know it would mean a huge pay reduction. (I have a pretty well paid job now). I even took autocad and BIM classes out of my own pocket just to see if I can get an entry level drafting job. So far, no luck. But I have spent days after days of nights and weekends drawing and drafting myself. Totally enjoying it. It's my number 1 hobby. Trumps purses and fashion any day.

Sorry to jump into your thread without giving any value as I don't have any good advice. Just couldn't resist commenting. One woman's trash is another one's treasure. :P I wish I was in your shoes.

Like another poster, I suggest you retain your current job and take on a part-time position to give yourself the opportunity to really make an informed decision before you quit. It is very hard to get hired at a luxury store with no experience....you would be starting at the bottom, perhaps mall stores working with teenagers. I just see it as a step back. I think the world today is permeated with this message that you can grow up to follow your dreams and, while that is true at some level, the reality is most people put up with bosses they don't like in positions they only sometimes love. I think you'll find the fashion/retail world is not very glamorous. Check out this thread if you've missed it:
Retail Hell
oh...i am going to keep my current job until i have the next thing lined up.

Honestly, it concerns me that you've come this far and are unwilling to take the final step to become an architect. I really believe making it official would open a lot of doors, and may have something to do with you not receiving other job offers. The fashion industry is brutal, and follow-through and determination are super-important.

Other things that concern me: you mention not liking "putting all the things together", and also "researching the next IT thing"....which is exactly what a fashion consultant would have to do.

sorry...i didn't make it clear. i know that's exactly what one needs to do if he/she is interested in the field. i mentioned that b/c i realized i would spend hours looking for the stuff in fashion but i would not look for the info when i was at work. i did some difficult task on a project and i didn't have the same mentality to input it to the next project. when it happened...my boss looked at me like i had 3 heads...my manager realized my heart just wasn't in it..b/c he thought i was bright and it just didn't make sense that i didn't think of accumulating the knowledge from the previous project and move it to this one. i've been hating my job for 5 years...and i always thought i just hated my job...not arch and i realized i said i want to move into fashion since 2-3 years ago...but it's more a subconscious level thinking...and it's just recently i realized a lot of things that i have to face the truth that i don't love arch. i am flexible...i can do arch for the rest of my life....but i just won't enjoy it. it's more like love...when you r in love...you can accept the person you are in love with but when you fall out of love...every little thing is annoyance.

Sorry if I'm coming across like Debby Downer...I just cannot in good conscience say I think it's a good idea to switch careers in your situation.

no...you are not debby downer....i really appreciate your opinions...:smile:

i guess i am one of those in the minors who actually worked retail and enjoyed it!

my best advice is to be friendly with your customers but never friends with them. it muddles the line.

honestly is the best policy..sounds corny but suggesting the right item, even if it means less in commission--would overall help you with your sales.

its a lifestyle. when you're selling don't just sell the handbag, sell the image they want to portray. very important is *listening* to them and what they are doing on a day to day basis. get to know them so you'd know whether they'd need a casual but sturdy bag. or if they need more fashion/formal bags because of certain events they attend..so forth..

know whats in, and dress the part yourself. people are more likely to trust you if they see you have the know how..first sell yourself, then the products.

build your client book, and get referrals..and also get the insider knowledge/best deals. know your shops, e-shops and so forth.

if you're looking to do freelance, portfolio is essential (of before and after), otherwise word of mouth is all you have to fall back on.

i wouldn't mind doing it but i don't think i have the energy. it burns you out! so i guess the other thing is to pace yourself. or schedule yourself some me time under "mrs. johnson"

I was an SA for a very popular luxury goods brand here for years in college. I was good at my job and got an offer to go to corporate upon graduation. It's tough. I think people go into luxury sales and think that you'll be dealing with glamorous clients, going to launch parties and helping people with major bankrolls fill out their beautiful closets. That is a minute part of the job. Most of it is spent dealing with very picky customers who will spend 3 hours picking out a $150 item (when the average sale in the store is around the 3x that), then come back and return/exchange it several times over, and then if they feel like you didn't give them good service, will complain about it to their manager or in this day and age, complain about it on tPF. You're on your feet all day and have tough hours (opening and closing). And honestly, if you're in the US, luxury isn't the best sector to be in right now (although I think architecture isn't either).

I feel your pain in architecture. The field isn't doing well either, the jobs you do get probably aren't what you thought and hiring has virtually stalled. If this is a temporary bump I would advise to stick it out as being an SA in my opinion will be much worse. However if you do want to go into the fashion/styling business, I don't think that being a SA is a bad choice (if you can get hired). It's a great job to take to understand the industry and will help you on your resume.

oh i didn't think of fashion as glamorous...i understand it's service industry, just like arch. just like when ppl knew i was arch, they had this "oh...you are an architect...how interesting!!"....the fact is it's NOT. what i don't like is the nature of my job...let me elaborate below.
i have hated my job for the past 5 years. i am good at what i do...and i got stuck at what i am good at. my office or basically the whole industry is not into nurture their employees into a well rounded arch - they want to get the most out of their staffs. there's some exceptions...but i haven't had that kind of luck. i am dealing with a lot of filing and high/difficult technical aspects of the projects....i had some fun but i find it very dry by default. i got some satisfactory out of the problem solving...but most of the time i just want to scream. the most ridiculous part about my job is....i don't find those filing projects to be difficult..if you follow the steps from 1 to 10...you'll get it done..even without an arch degree. but 99% of the people in my firm are worse than mediocre...so i became this "lucky" person that deals with all these stuff. people hire new staff based on their previous experience....so i know i won't be doing the fun stuff...even the fun stuff aka design...i lost that zest about it. moving the wall 5 inches left and right is not gonna fit your big ass couch....and i had some experience dealt with one of the most prestige design firm in NYC...the design was excellent but i realized i couldn't care less about it. that's when i knew i wasn't in love with arch. i've been doing some soul searching for a while...months...

OMG, OP, your current job is actually my dream job. I absolutely loooove drafting. I remember seeing a blue print for the first time when I was 12 and being completely mesmerized by it for hours on end. The details, the intricacies, they all come together so beautifully, absolutely amazing! Too bad I didn't choose architecture when I went college. And it's very difficult to change career to become an architect now. Such a long long education path. You have no idea how many times I have seriously considered it though, even though I know it would mean a huge pay reduction. (I have a pretty well paid job now). I even took autocad and BIM classes out of my own pocket just to see if I can get an entry level drafting job. So far, no luck. But I have spent days after days of nights and weekends drawing and drafting myself. Totally enjoying it. It's my number 1 hobby. Trumps purses and fashion any day.

Sorry to jump into your thread without giving any value as I don't have any good advice. Just couldn't resist commenting. One woman's trash is another one's treasure. :P I wish I was in your shoes.

oh...don't be sorry....i love exchanging ideas....;)
drafting itself is not the worst part about my job...it's the reason behind it. my boss has been abusing one of my coworker...let me call him A. in this high rise residential project he would have A moving the locations of the kitchen and bathroom and move the kitchen 6" longer and the bathroom 3" shorter...things like that. and after the meeting...would do the whole exercise again. when you do stuff like that 5 days a week....it is really boring. i was on a design project once...while i was picking out the paint color for the wall...i got very depressed....i literally didn't see the difference between linen white and dove white...i didn't see the huge impact when the room was painted linen white than dove white. they are all white to me....i would see the diff of a size 4 or a size 6 dress on a woman but not a off white paint in a room.

I actually loved working as a SA when I was in college. Any negativity from customers was overshadowed by the great feeling of making someone happy. It was physically demanding though, especially when working 8 hour shifts or working sales. There is definitely room to move up, like store manager and then corporate, but at age 39, I'm not sure that I would be able to start as a SA. Did you ever think about becoming a buyer? I also liked the idea of starting your own company on the side..maybe designing storefronts or store layouts?
becoming a buyer was my first thinking...but the lady at FIT told me, buyer is all about numbers. and i need to take courses to be able to do that. i am not rejecting the idea but at this moment i want to work in the industry to really find my niche. i had too many degrees already...i don't want to get another one and realize i don't want to do it.

i guess i am one of those in the minors who actually worked retail and enjoyed it!

my best advice is to be friendly with your customers but never friends with them. it muddles the line.

honestly is the best policy..sounds corny but suggesting the right item, even if it means less in commission--would overall help you with your sales.

its a lifestyle. when you're selling don't just sell the handbag, sell the image they want to portray. very important is *listening* to them and what they are doing on a day to day basis. get to know them so you'd know whether they'd need a casual but sturdy bag. or if they need more fashion/formal bags because of certain events they attend..so forth..

know whats in, and dress the part yourself. people are more likely to trust you if they see you have the know how..first sell yourself, then the products.

build your client book, and get referrals..and also get the insider knowledge/best deals. know your shops, e-shops and so forth.

if you're looking to do freelance, portfolio is essential (of before and after), otherwise word of mouth is all you have to fall back on.

i wouldn't mind doing it but i don't think i have the energy. it burns you out! so i guess the other thing is to pace yourself. or schedule yourself some me time under "mrs. johnson"

thanks for telling me the positive side of retail.
actually today i made a trip to meet with a SA who works in a high end fashion boutique...i bought one thing from him once and for some reason i just made a mental note that he really enjoyed what he does and it's not just a job for him. he's being very positive. what he said was pretty much what ms-whitney said. building the book is the most important thing. and it's about building a r/s with clients. he did tell me not go into dept store first. he suggested me going into boutique, find the brands i really appreciate and work for them. and familiarize myself with the industry while i work there and after getting my clientele...it's much easier. he said it's cut throat but he really enjoys what he does. he's actually quite successful. we got to quite specific and he actually gave me a lot of hope.

architecture is basically drafting unless you own the firm.

it's true.
but when the project is complex enough...it can be very fulfilling. we just finished a penthouse project, there's a roof glass bulkhead and a pool...very complex. bf really loved it. he just loves problem solving and design in general. he loves it enough to not be bothered by the back and forth changes and mind numbing minor move-1/2 of an inch-decisions....

Since there are still aspects you like about your job, and several of the negatives are specific to your current position (unpleasant bosses, not nurturing, no new opportunities), why not try another job in the same industry first, while looking into styling part-time?

Instead of a brick and mortar store, ever thought about working for a strictly ONLINE boutique? Possibly as in personal shopper / buyer / sales manager for a website? Maybe that's something that can be done part time so you can touch how it is without having to make the drastic commitment and change? I would check in your area (NYC right?) of any cool online retail stores in your area and speak to management about your skills.

Possibly show how your architecture experience and be a helping hand with set construction, fashion shoots, and art direction. I'm sure these online sites want to hire quality people who can wear many hats - it's what keeps their costs down ultimately.

That way you can gather experience about fashion + sales, work with buyers, preview designer looks and craft the online boutique's point of view for existing and potential customers? You're going to be a bigger fish in a smaller pond than say go work at Saks for MANY years and then fight your way up to Personal Shopper. It can be tiring, and as these ladies who have retail experience have said previously, it sounds like a butt load of work.

Right now your strengths are your design + art skills, your years of client / customer facing interactions, and your love for fashion. You might have to start small but being around clothes all day and helping define that "store's" customer and what she needs in her wardrobe may all be a change that's well worth it!

Whatever you choose to do, you sound like you need a change. Give Sasha a big long hug and good luck with whatever you choose!

Since there are still aspects you like about your job, and several of the negatives are specific to your current position (unpleasant bosses, not nurturing, no new opportunities), why not try another job in the same industry first, while looking into styling part-time?

you are right partially....it's exactly b/c i hated my job so much and i started to ask myself what i really didn't like about my job. like i said earlier...if i got to work on the design aspects of a project...would i like it better...yes but not that much. i like that instant gratification...i got bored at interior and arch takes too long and the process is just too hideous.....
i guess i am glad that my job will just be selling a piece of item instead of manipulating an item for the nth time till the client is satisfied.

one thing i want to point out is....i've always been able to get recognition about my good work...no matter what i do. i'll just have to optimistically assume when i do retail...i'll have the clients to recognize that right away instead of thru multiple layers of people and get taken advantages of in the mid way.

Instead of a brick and mortar store, ever thought about working for a strictly ONLINE boutique? Possibly as in personal shopper / buyer / sales manager for a website? Maybe that's something that can be done part time so you can touch how it is without having to make the drastic commitment and change? I would check in your area (NYC right?) of any cool online retail stores in your area and speak to management about your skills.

Possibly show how your architecture experience and be a helping hand with set construction, fashion shoots, and art direction. I'm sure these online sites want to hire quality people who can wear many hats - it's what keeps their costs down ultimately.

That way you can gather experience about fashion + sales, work with buyers, preview designer looks and craft the online boutique's point of view for existing and potential customers? You're going to be a bigger fish in a smaller pond than say go work at Saks for MANY years and then fight your way up to Personal Shopper. It can be tiring, and as these ladies who have retail experience have said previously, it sounds like a butt load of work.

Right now your strengths are your design + art skills, your years of client / customer facing interactions, and your love for fashion. You might have to start small but being around clothes all day and helping define that "store's" customer and what she needs in her wardrobe may all be a change that's well worth it!

Whatever you choose to do, you sound like you need a change. Give Sasha a big long hug and good luck with whatever you choose!

it's actually a very great idea. i'll keep it in mind.....
my sasha says thank you!! :P

OP, this is so inspiring! I hope your dream is fulfilled! :smile:

I would say the same thing about myself. I am in college as a musician and for the past year, I did some soul searching too. I enjoy playing music, and I can see it taking off, but there are only X number of jobs, and way too many people applying. That's why I'm going to finish my music degree, because it's something I love, but I am going to pursue something in the medical field after.

update:

after many months of trial....the path of being a SA is not looking bright. but i did get a job as a closet designer. just one step closer to my dream. i am very excited about this job. but this is more like a hobby job....will go full time once i have steady clients.
but something in my heart tells me this is the beginning of the beautiful future. :smile: sort of a combination of my passion + my knowledge.