Chanel bag prices: Do your friends think u'r crazy?

My mom knows...my friends also..some of them understand me so well cause we also purchase Chanel bags together... and thank God I have an aunt who really understand me cause her hubby also spoilt her with Hermes, Chanel and LV's.. so we occasionally meet and discuss about our purse purchases... can't talk with my mom cause she'll end up saying this 'I don't understand why people buy so expensive bag..even I am rich and have so much money (believe me, she is!!) I will never buy that bag!'

Thanks Pursepushin for the excellent thread. It's a good one. Luckily I am single so I do what I want with my $$$. Right now I need to make myself happy. A new bag usually does the trick.:rolleyes: My friends and family wouldn't understand. My best friend says I am crazy for spending that much on a purse. Good thing she doesn't keep track of how many. She would think I needed to be admitted somewhere . :upsidedown: I'm like the rest of us here. I sometimes get creative when asked "Is that a new purse?" It keeps the conversation to a minimum. I also think it's kinda rude when someome asked what you paid for a purse. A close friend is okay. A casual friend is Uhhh...NO. I just tell people "It costs enough" :smile:

I don't get asked and I don't feel compelled to notify anyone of price. That said, you just never know how or when someone will find out what you've spent! When you least expect it, EXPECT IT. My husband and I went out for dinner a few weeks back and I was carrying my jumbo black patent classic. I have my own credit cards in my own name and he never knows what I'm spending on my "stuff"...although you've have to be deaf, blind and too disabled to trip over them to not notice the gazillions of shoes that avalanche out of every closet in the house when the doors are opened (ha ha). During dinner, we decided to head to the AT&T store at a mall afterward to get new cell phones. I wanted an iPhone and it took a while to port my phone number because I was simultaneously canceling my T Mobile service and the porting process took a bit of time due to some networking interruption in some area of the country. While we were waiting for different steps to process, the guy who was assisting me told me that I had a very nice bag. I thought he was just making small talk because he was a young college student and just didn't seem like someone who would be all that interested in designer handbags. I thanked him. Then he asked me if Chanel bags hold their value well. I'm thinking, "uh oh! My cover's blown now!" but nonchalantly said that yes, they do. Then he said (here it comes!), "My mother has one similar to it but it's not as modern looking as yours because it's got gold chains and it's not that shiny patent leather. I think she said it's lambskin and I think she paid about $2000 for it maybe seven or eight years ago. She doesn't carry it as much these days so I wonder if I should suggest she sell it at a consignment store or something". With my husband standing next to me, I was SO busted :smile: Okay, so I wasn't exactly "busted" because it's my salary, I buy what I want to buy and if he doesn't want to accept that, he knows where the door is. But it was a little entertaining to see that transient wide-eyed look of disbelief!

I've told very few people about the price of my one and only chanel (PST)- basically girls who already own LV or the like and arn't completely shocked by the price.

I am actually embarassed to tell some of my other friends because I know how they will react. They will never see me the same way and will probably always call me "the 1k bag girl" or something.
Also, many of my friends are of traditional Chinese families and I know that my mom wouldn't want their parents knowing what kind of money she let me spend on a bag...

I think you do, too. :biggrin:

But really, everyone spends money on non-necessities. Holidays, nights out, cars, collectibles, gadgets, etc-- it's all the same thing at the end of the day, a "waste" of money.

So long as it makes you happy, it's worthwhile, especially if you can still pay for your necessities like food and rent and stuff.

I totally agree with you :yes:

Everyone spends their money differently [vacations, restaurants, cars, jewelry, etc.] and for me one of my passions is nice purses. I will admit, however, that prior to the purchase of my first Chanel recently [$2,800 total], the most that I had ever spent was about $1,100. As for shop and tell, I practice it freely and am not the least bit ashamed of my indulgence. My feelings are that I work every day and overall are very good with my finances, so why not buy what I want and downright deserve. :tup:

Happy to see that you'all like this game. So IF yolu're not telling and you live with a DH or SO, how do you HIDE the expenditure?

Cash, cash, and mom's amex. I leave no trail of my purchases. I don't run up the joint cc's, no hidden cc's, no suprises. My husband knows I buy bags on my own in addition to the one's he buys me. He's not stupid, he knows what they cost, but he also knows when I use my mom's amex, my purchases tend to get lost among her purchases and she forgets and sometimes is convinced that those are her purchases and not mine-so when I show up with the cash to pay the bill she doesn't take it or forgets to tell me when the bill comes. I don't like to not pay for my purchases. I work, and my "play money" goes towards my habits. Lately, I have been quiet about my bag purchases because I have been buying special bags that I can't use everyday-so by the time I break them out for a night out he won't realize. He can't tell one black bag from another unless he bought it.
I also don't buy a bag unless I have the entire value already in cash. I may be charging, but thats incase I need to return. I want to know I can pay before I dig myself into a hole.

However on the "how much" issue. I don't say unless my friends or mom or sister is interested in purchasing.
My DH likes to tell his mom and his sister because it makes them green with envy that he doesn't care about what I spend or he spends when it comes to me.
After all, his sister hates me, and his mother is not too far behind. My 30th bday was few weeks ago, and at my party-for example of hate-my sil tells my bf that her daughter used to be my husband's favorite until he met "her" (referring to me) and how "she" (meaning me) ruined it for her kids. This is also the same SIL who did an impersonation me (a very bad one) on my wedding day to my sister thinking I would never find out. So basically whatever makes my inlaws mad, my husband throws down.

You sound like a very smart little cookie! Good for you (and for your Mom!):yes:

Cash, cash, and mom's amex. I leave no trail of my purchases. I don't run up the joint cc's, no hidden cc's, no suprises. My husband knows I buy bags on my own in addition to the one's he buys me. He's not stupid, he knows what they cost, but he also knows when I use my mom's amex, my purchases tend to get lost among her purchases and she forgets and sometimes is convinced that those are her purchases and not mine-so when I show up with the cash to pay the bill she doesn't take it or forgets to tell me when the bill comes. I don't like to not pay for my purchases. I work, and my "play money" goes towards my habits. Lately, I have been quiet about my bag purchases because I have been buying special bags that I can't use everyday-so by the time I break them out for a night out he won't realize. He can't tell one black bag from another unless he bought it.
I also don't buy a bag unless I have the entire value already in cash. I may be charging, but thats incase I need to return. I want to know I can pay before I dig myself into a hole.

I'm anticipating purchasing my first designer purse this year. I've been an admirer for years and even dabbled in (dare I say it) purchasing knock offs. :shame: I waited this long because I wanted to be responsible with my cash and not buy something I couldn't afford on my own. I'm trying to save up to buy a condo/house, but for you single girls out there living in So Cal you know it's not a walk in the park to do alone unless you make bank! Now that I've gotten the hang of saving $$$ I want to treat myself with something nice that I know I will carry with me for the rest of my life. I don't think I'll stop at just 1, but I am a little afraid this may snowball into a shopping obsession I can't control. My parents, sister, aunt, cousin, SO and a couple close girlfriends support me and my love for the finer things. Some of them are brand whores themselves so they are totally behind me! I do have friends who don't understand because they are more of the traveling type and some who are struggling financially that (in my opinion) rationalize that they don't need this fluff. I will not (nor feel obligated to) disclose to these individuals the who, what, where, when, why and how much of my purchase. I agree with mostly everyone on this thread that as long as you can afford it and it makes you happy, then it's ok to buy yourself something pretty!

Interesting.....in fact, i always lie abt the price that i paid for my chanel bags, even to my DH even though he knows it's really expensive coz i always update him the latest new chanel price list. Therefore, he is sort of aware how much is one bag.

However, i'm a chanel addict and seems to be buyin bags one after another, he tends to get suspicious and ask how much i bought this bag for example...the bag is ard USD2300+ but i always said i paid for USD1500. If i were to say the actual amt, he will nag at me and said "how come u paid so much for a bag esp they all look almost the same to me, why not other designer bags".....oh mine, i wuld say back "U know that i have only eyes for chanel bags and no other brands even though i do own some designer bags"

As for my friends, they know that i have expensive taste and normally they won't ask me how much is the bag that i'm carrying....they sort of immune to it...LOLLLL

If they ask (which people often do) I tell them roughly but minus 100-200 pounds and try to not make a big deal out of it. Or I'll say it was a present or took me ages to save up. Most of the time I do have to save up.

The reactions of people are quite funny when they can't understand why you would pay that much for a bag. It makes me feel guilty but it's just something I do. There's a lot worse things anyway, the bags won't hurt anyone so I don't see the problem.