Celebrity Stalkers

1. Celebrity Stalkers

In the world of celebrity, there are fans, and then there are stalkers. Unfortunately, in the glitzy and glamorous world of Hollywood, the line between reality and fantasy blurs for those on the outside looking in, and bad things happened. Here's a look at some of the more recent, and famous, cases of celebrity stalking.

[​IMG]
    Jodie Foster

WHO? John Warnock Hinckley, Jr.
    WHAT HAPPENED?
    After repeated viewings of the film "Taxi Driver," Hinckley became obsessed with Foster, who portrayed a child prostitute in the film. When Foster went to Yale, Hinckley moved to New Haven to be closer to her. After failing to form a relationship with her, though he called her numerous times and sent her messages, he decided to either hi-jack a plane or commit suicide in front of her to gain her attention. In the end, Hinckley attempted to assassinate President Ronald Regan in 1981, mimicking the plot of "Taxi Driver," to get Foster's attention.
    THE RESULT
    Hinckley was tried but found not guilty by reason of insanity, spending the rest of his days at Saint Elizabeth's Hospital in Washington, D.C., though in 2005 he was granted conditional releases from the hospital.

[​IMG]
    David Letterman

WHO?
    Margaret Ray
    WHAT HAPPENED?
    Ray repeatedly visited Letterman's Connecticut home, and was once found sleeping on his tennis courts.
    THE RESULT
    She spent 10 months in prison and 14 months in a mental institution on trespassing convictions, but her life came to a tragic end in 1998, when she reportedly committed suicide.

2. [​IMG]
    Catherine Zeta-Jones

WHO?
    Dawnette Knight
    WHAT HAPPENED?
    Knight reportedly made numerous death threats to Catherine Zeta-Jones through phone calls and letters. In those letters, she allegedly stated she would viciously slice up Jones "like Sharon Tate was."
    THE RESULT
    Though the trial is still ongoing, Zeta-Jones nearly suffered a nervous breakdown because of the ordeal, according to published reports.

[​IMG]
    Sheryl Crow

WHO?
    Ambrose Kappos
    WHAT HAPPENED?
    Ambrose called Crow her "spiritual twin" -- sneaking back stage during a concert in 2003 to meet the singer, then following Crow back to her limousine, according to reports.
    THE RESULT
    Investigators charged the former Navy diver with burglary, stalking and harassment. However, in December 2004 he was acquitted of those charges.

3. [​IMG]
    Gwyneth Paltrow

WHO?
    Dante Michael Soiu
    WHAT HAPPENED?
    Soiu reportedly sent numerous packages, e-mails and letters, even going so far as to show up at Paltrow's parents' home in California.
    THE RESULT
    The pizza delivery man was convicted in December 2000 of stalking and committed to a high-security psychiatric hospital in California.

[​IMG]
    Halle Berry

WHO?
    Greg Broussard
    WHAT HAPPENED?
    Broussard stalked Berry, believing that the two were engaged, according to court testimony.
    THE RESULT
    The Navy Seal was ordered by a California judge to keep at least 100 yards away from Berry, and to stay away from two of her body guards.

4. [​IMG]
    Gloria Estefan

WHO?
    Juan Carlos Diaz
    WHAT HAPPENED?
    After appearing in two of Estefan's videos, the struggling actor latched himself onto the Estefan family. Gloria and her husband alleged Diaz was harassing them.
    THE RESULT
    In 2002, Estefan won a permanent restraining order againts Diaz, which Diaz has complied to, and the ordeal inspired the singer to write the song "Famous."

[​IMG]
    Anna Kournikova

WHO?
    William Lepeska
    WHAT HAPPENED?
    In January 2005, according to published reports, Lepeska swam nude across Biscayne Bay to reach the Tennis star's home, only ending up at the wrong house, and on the wrong pool deck, shouting "Anna! Save me!"
    THE RESULT
    After he was arrested by police, Lepeska was ruled incompetent to stand trial and was ordered to spend six months in a treatment facility in Florida.

5. [​IMG]
    Mel Gibson

WHO?
    Zack Sinclair
    WHAT HAPPENED?
    The Idaho drifter claimed that God gave him a mission - to pray with Mel Gibson, investigators said. In one reported incident, Sinclair interrupted Gibson while he was worshipping, insisting that Gibson pray with him.
    THE RESULT
    Sinclair was convicted by a jury and sentenced to three years in prison for stalking the actor/director.

[​IMG]
    Avril Lavigne

WHO?
    James Speedy
    WHAT HAPPENED? The Seattle computer technician allegedly stalked the pop-rock princess, and was ordered to stay away from Lavigne and her family.
    THE RESULT
    In May 2005, Speedy was arrested and convicted of stalking, spending 30 days in jail.

6. [​IMG]
    Pamela Anderson

WHO?
    William Peter Stansfield
    WHAT HAPPENED?
    The homeless man confronted Anderson and her family at their Malibu home, in shops around the community where Anderson frequents, and even went so far as to visit her sons' school.
    THE RESULT
    Anderson won a three-year restraining order against Stansfield in October 2005.

[​IMG]
    Britney Spears

WHO?
    Masahiko Shizawa
    WHAT HAPPENED?
    The Japanese native sent Spears hundreds of letters and allegedly tried to break into her homes in Los Angeles and Louisiana.
    THE RESULT
    Though he was deported back to Japan following the alleged incidents, Shizawa is now suing Spears, claiming that her bodyguards caused him extreme emotional distress.

7. Hmmm interesting!! Thanks for posting!!

8. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

I was watching Dr. Phil, and it dealt with stalking. Part of this episode featured a woman completely obsessed with Jay Z. Obsessed to the point of sending his assistant / sister / friends 100 e-mails every day. She said Jay-Z would dump Beyonce and get with her if he ever saw her. She also said she would rip out Beyonce's weave.

That whole thing made me wonder what it was that makes someone go from being a fan of someone to being a REALLY BIG fan of someone to being completely obsessed with someone.

It's not just that a person is in love with a celebritiy. It's that they're convinced that the celebrity loves them back and they have a relationship.

The threats and harm only come from the celebrity doing something the stalker feels has 'betrayed' their relationship: taking a certain role, cutting their hair, making some sort of career move . . . Deborah Gibson's stalker got upset with her after she posed for Playboy. The stalker felt that Deborah did something that ruined her wholesome image.

9. Scarey!

10. There's a lot of weirdos out there now.

My husband was stalked for 2 years and the police couldn't do anything until she actually came into his office and wouldn't leave. She was arrested, charged and convicted. She came back again exactly one year later and was arrested again. She had to wear one of those ankle bracelets after that.

What is this world coming to?

11. Stalking is one of the hardest crimes to convict. I think it's because technically, the police can't do anything unless either the stalker sends the victim things or physically harms them.

I'm not too familiar with the law, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

12. wow..they have serious issue..

13. People are Crazy!!

14. Being famous does have its drawbacks. I listened to Dirk Benedict talk about death threats on BB & how he had bodyguards not a nice experience at all. they can buy all they want but i really don't think I would want their lives!

15. p.s. just their handbags & houses LOL