Cats....& Ear Mites

1. I just got a call from my daughter. A stray has been hanging around her house for a while...and she has taken it in..

She's worried it may have ear mites?!? The cat is doing alot ear scratching. Upon inspection..she did note some brown waxy type stuff in the canals.

what is this?? is it contagious to other animals?

I've advise her to take the cat to the vet..to be checked and also to get immunizations..just to be sure...anything else she should do as a new cat owner?? We've never owned one before so I'm oblivious

2. Ear mites are common, especially in outside cats. I had taken in some strays in the past and treated them for very bad cases of ear mites, one method that a vet taught me years ago that always seemed to work was to soak a cotton swab in peroxide and gently clean the canal and ear area, this will help to remove and kill the mites, then to follow this with a swab soaked in mineral oil. This always worked for me, however I would say if she plans to keep the stray you should go to the vet for a full check up and shots anyway.....

3. Ear mites are common, especially in outside cats. I had taken in some strays in the past and treated them for very bad cases of ear mites, one method that a vet taught me years ago that always seemed to work was to soak a cotton swab in hydrogen peroxide and gently clean the canal and ear area, this will help to remove and kill the mites, then to follow this with a swab soaked in mineral oil. This always worked for me, however I would say if she plans to keep the stray you should go to the vet for a full check up and shots anyway.....

4. Sounds like ear mites, all right. There are also OTC meds that are effective against this. Worked in my case. But I would take a stray in to see the vet, because you just never know what else may be going on.

5. Ear mites can go deep into the ear canal, a vet should clean them professionally and then be maintained by the owner. My Punkin was bothered by them for a while and we have no problems now. One vet I had said they were contagious to other cats, but my other one never had them and she goes out all the time (on a leash and a harness to the park).

6. I just put some OTC on Gracie's ears last night. She's a 95% outside cat and she's so furry that you don't really see inside her ears. It's quite a job to hold her and all seemingly 12 of her paws down to get the medicine in and then hold her little ear closed for a few seconds to let it get down in there but she acted so much better after just a couple of minutes. I ususally treat her once a month or when I notice that she's scratching at her ears.

7. The only thing I worry about OTC cleaners or meds is that they may not be as effective and you really want to be careful about toxicity. There is one ear med I have seen sold in some pet stores that are also sold via veterinarians. But I would try to stay away from OTC meds in general unless you know what you are doing...
    In order to treat any ear infections effectively, I would have a vet check it out. The only way to tell for sure what it is to get a ear swab sample and look it under the microscope. Besides ear mites, bacteria, yeast infections in ears can cause brown discharge, too.

8. When I got one of my kittens she had ear mites. With drops from the vet they were cleared up with in a short amount of time. She should take her new cat to the vet anyway... there are lots of diseases strays may have, and it is especially important if she has other pets, you would not want to get them sick. Until she can take her into the vet, keep the stray separate.

9. One of my kitties shakes his head and moves his ears around quite often. I'm pretty sure he has ear mites. The other cat shows none of these symptoms.
    I'd love to treat kitty with OTC meds but one website I looked at said when you treat the ears the mits can travel out and on to the body of the cat so you have to treat the whole body?
    Sammy is really cooperative and easy to treat (unlike my other cat). I'd love to avoid the trip to the vet if I could.

What say you cat people? I'm anticipating mixed replies.
    thank you.

10. If nothing else I would get a dose of Revolution on the stray. It is a topical and treats a lot of different problems:

Benefits:•Protects your pet from heartworms and fleas•Fights both internal and surface parasitic infections•Treats Sarcoptic mange in dogs•Treats and controls ear mites•Controls American Dog Tick infestation•Treats and controls roundworms and hookworms in cats

If she is keeping the stray I would definitely get her checked out at the vet.

11. She should take the cat to the Vet and have it checked. We've been feeding some stray cats and my dog got ear mites from them. She's a senior dog, and after checking with the Vet what I did was to use a couple of drops of extra virgin olive oil in her ears and massage and work it in, the ear mites flies right off when she shakes her head, quite messy really. It took us a couple of weeks but the evoo cleared all the ear mites.

12. When my 15 year old kitty came home to me at 6 weeks old from the farm, she had ear mites. The mites eat the flesh inside their ears so their ears are super sore so please be careful of what you use as peroxide or the like will sting. My vet prescribed drops of some type and I had to put the drops in every day and then massage the ear canal to work the drops down and then gently wipe out all the gunk that the drops loosen. The drops also cause the cat to shake its head which also helps get the gunk out.

Water will also kill the mites but you need something soothing as well as the inside of the ears are eaten raw by the mites.

Oh, and yes, they are very contagious.

13. I was tempted to treat the ear mites myself but decided to bring Sammy to the vet. Good thing I did; vet said he didn't have ear mites. He has a treatable infection. Vet sent me home with meds.