Cat Advice

1. I am visiting my parents and would like to bring my new kitten with me. We are staying at their place for 5 days. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to acclamate the cat to my parents' home? They would be very upset if the cat started peeing and pooping everywhere!

Thank you! :yes:

2. when i brought my kitten home, i kept him in one room with his litter and food in it. i read that the room should be quiet so the cat feels safe and can explore the room alone (with you too if your kitten is familiar with you already). then when s/he is comfortable, you can leave the door open and let the kitten explore the rest of the house. also, i read that you need to keep at least one litter box on each floor of the house...i've found that my cat, even though he's been with us for 4 years, won't walk downstairs to his box.

hope this helps!

3. Take some of the cat's toys and regular food along. Also, if the cat sleeps on a bed, bring that if you can. If that doesn't work, before you leave, try to get the cat to sleep on a towel or old shirt for awhile. Bring that with you so the cat will have something with its scent on it. that should help, but no guarantee.

4. I think it depends on the cat, too, and how attached to you they are. I had a cat when I was younger who travelled with me in a car across the country, and she acclimated to wherever we were staying (camping or motels) almost immediately and without any problems. Other cats I know are more sensitive about their surroundings. I think the advice above is good....keep her in one room at first with her food, litter and some familiar objects and see how she does. If she dives under the bed and won't come out for hours, you may just want to keep her confined to the one room.

5. I've traveled extensively with cats, as I've lived in two places for much of my adult life. The number one thing is when you get to your destination, show kitty the litter box right away. Cats are smart animals, once they see the box, they know. I've never had a cat soil the carpet while on a trip. Oh, one more thing, use a nice carrier, the last thing you need is a kitty running loose in the car, getting under the pedals, etc.