Caring for Patent goatskin

1. So last week I got an Ursula Bowler and I just love it to pieces (not literally!). Unfortunately, it's been raining ever since and the bag has gotten a wet a couple times. Does anyone know how water-resistant/resilient the patent leathers are? Is there anything I can do to minimize the affects of the elements on my bag? I have a drummed goatskin bag and it seems practically indestructible, but I worry a bit about the patent. Even though water seems to just bead up and run off, could it still be causing damage? I've been wiping the bag down with a clean, soft cloth after any rain exposure, and I haven't seen any damage, but still I worry.
    Also, is it safe to use something like Apple Guard rain and stain repellant? Or should I just leave it be? I certainly don't want to ruin it by trying to protect it!
  2. Patent is tricky, you probably don't want to put anything on it that's not specifically made for patent leather because you don't want to ruin the shine or the texture. You could always ask a trusted shoe repair person, they deal with all kinds of leather and probably know more than me :smile: